Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FLD Switchback front end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:12 AM
jayelrider
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2012 FLD Switchback front end rattle

Since I got this bike (my first ever bike of any kind) last year I've had a rattle from the front end during warm up and then idling at about 950-1000 rpm.
Bought with 8k miles, 10k on it now.
Yesterday I noted that with the front brake engages the visible vibration from the front fork is damped and the rattle goes away.
If I hold the front of the fender and damp the vibration it goes away.
It seems to be coming from up inside the front fender but all attachment points are tight.
Headlight nacelle is a little loose but the noise is not from there.
When I brought it in to HD for annual inspection he listened and said perhaps it was the heat shield but he was wrong.
It's annoying and I would like it to go away but I can live with it, my worry is that there might be something wrong with the front suspension and this is the first indicator.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jayelrider
Since I got this bike (my first ever bike of any kind) last year I've had a rattle from the front end during warm up and then idling at about 950-1000 rpm.
Bought with 8k miles, 10k on it now.
Yesterday I noted that with the front brake engages the visible vibration from the front fork is damped and the rattle goes away.
If I hold the front of the fender and damp the vibration it goes away.
It seems to be coming from up inside the front fender but all attachment points are tight.
Headlight nacelle is a little loose but the noise is not from there.
When I brought it in to HD for annual inspection he listened and said perhaps it was the heat shield but he was wrong.
It's annoying and I would like it to go away but I can live with it, my worry is that there might be something wrong with the front suspension and this is the first indicator.
did you check steering head bearing torque?? perhaps a you tube video showing exactly what its doing,

Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Check or tighten your tank bolts.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:24 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

It’s your primary...or flywheel ... your engine is going to implode,....

You have a great bike, I love my FLD, but I have a theory as to why a Harley should never be your first bike. Besides the riding aspect of it, Harley’s require more....

Harley’s aren’t diva’s but they do require more from their owners, little squeaks, rattles and other noises come up all the time, you need to be able to diagnose these perceived issues yourself, otherwise you will pay out the *** to have someone do it for you. The reason I say perceived is that most of the time they are nothing, this is something someone with experience with different bikes will have figured out already.

not saying you won’t get there, you will if you stick with it...

chances are its it’s your windshield...mine rattles quite a bit especially when the brakes are applied....

Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 AM
jayelrider
Advanced

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx

chances are its it’s your windshield...mine rattles quite a bit especially when the brakes are applied....
Thanks for the suggestion, I was gonna pull the windshield off today anyway.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 AM
jayelrider
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestion, I was gonna pull the windshield off today anyway.
Well, I pulled the windshield off and went for a ride.
The rattle is still there but I learned something. With the windshield off and a half-helmet the wind noise is deafening ... windshield back on, lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by jayelrider:
fxdup (04-17-2020), iRider (11-02-2022)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Well, I pulled the windshield off and went for a ride.
The rattle is still there but I learned something. With the windshield off and a half-helmet the wind noise is deafening ... windshield back on, lol.
if you can post a video to you tube it would help a lot, the fact that you could damp the noise by gripping the front fender is why I didn't recommend windscreen
clip rattle.. with 10K now on the bike have you done or had the 10K service done?? there is a whole check list of things that they go over and re-torque, as you know
these things vibrate and with that vibration comes loose fasteners

The following users liked this post:
jayelrider (05-09-2018)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:29 PM
PhiCen
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you sure it’s not your headlight?

my headlight rattles like a beehive. When I ride next to a wall or car on a highway, it bounces back and the buzz is annoying. I’ve tightened it a dozen times, but, it’s spring mounted. I diagnosed it finally by applying masking tape on the nacelle and headlight nice and tight and like a miracle, it was gone. So, I just live with it now.