Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:50 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Primary Noise

I've got a new to me 07 Street Bob with 27k and I've had a noise in the primary since I got it. It sounds like a "whirr"ing or chattering from the chain, I saw someone describe a primary noise as an industrial sewing machine and I have to say that's probably the most accurate description I've found. Its less noticeable at first start, then once the bike warms up it gets pretty noisy. It drowns out at speeds over 40mph but once I coast to a stop or I'm city cruising it's very noticeable. I've researched many threads here but they mostly cover the IPB on the 06 models (haven't found many 07's with that issue). The thing that differs greatly with my issue is that mine only occurs when the bike has been given throttle. Clutch in or out doesn't matter and doesn't occur in neutral. It strictly happens when the bike has RPMs greater than when it's sitting in neutral. This has strayed me away from the IPB being the issue. It also is leading me to believe that my primary chain may be loose since it happens once everything is warm? Chain may be JUST out of spec when "cold" but stretches out when hot and really starts making a noise? Any ideas are welcome, thank you.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

It is more likely the chain is too tight than too loose.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

Thanks Jay, I did keep this in mind from your previous responses on my earlier issue. Wouldn't the heat up cause the chain to expand however? Thus LESSENING the noise as it heats up if it were too tight?

Old 05-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 07streetbob07
Thanks Jay, I did keep this in mind from your previous responses on my earlier issue. Wouldn't the heat up cause the chain to expand however? Thus LESSENING the noise as it heats up if it were too tight?
The primary doesn't get very warm when running. Might be that a tight chain, after running for some time, no longer has proper lubricant on the tension boot so the noise can come from the chain rubbing a dry boot.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:51 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

Tension boot meaning plastic cover on the chain tensioner? I know you had previously said to go aftermarket with a new tensioner and looks like Hayden has had some positive reviews around these parts. I'm most likely going that route after I check tension on the chain.

Anyone else have this issue before I crack open my primary for the 3rd time in as many weeks?

Old 05-02-2018, 02:12 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Remove the primary cover and take a look seems best to me...just costs a little time and about 1 qt of your choice of fluid(you can reuse the outer primary gasket if it’s in good condition - I’ve done it several times) Look at the chain tension, any scrapes on the inside, compensator condition, starter ring gear teeth, chain tensioner...if nothing obvious you may have to remove clutch and compensator to investigate more - requires more tools but not too hard but to check the ipb and to get a complete check of the compensator, you need to.

I like the Baker Attitude Adjuster over the Hayden myself.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

Well had an opportunity to install the Hayden tensioner...finding neutral is way easier. However, my noise is still there. Can a worn IPB cause this whirring or chattering sound? I also ensured my compensator nut was tight to spec and everything else looked normal in there. If it is indeed the IPB, what kind of damage could that cause, if any, if I were to continue to ride it until I can break into the case once again?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,869 Likes on 4,076 Posts

At speed, how do you know the noise is in primary? Usual, primary noise is at idle because of Harley's odd hunting idle and the fact that the fingers on the compesator are cast and quite often rough and fretted a little at that milage. Hurts nothing and the primary is how would you say it..tough as nails works for me.
your auto tensioner can appear tight but on the auto one, you can only check with cover off and push hard on chain with thumbs sine two coil springs put tension on it and why it is quite. A manual adjuster can have 3/4 chain slop and you really do not notice it.
Most auto ones are down to a 1/4 + about 1/4 more when you push up hard. Chains wear uneven and this does affect it also.
If you really are hearing your primary at speed, you may have something wrong.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-09-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

The auto tensioner I installed was at perfect spec without any shims and the chain tautness was also in spec after the install. So I believe I eliminated it being chain/tensioner related. As for the noise, it's definitely coming from the left side and when I move my knee away from the tank the noise gets way louder, telling my it's coming from down in the primary

Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 07streetbob07
when I move my knee away from the tank the noise gets way louder, telling my it's coming from down in the primary
or Rockers just clattering away....

Only choices left in the primary are Compensator and clutch pack, Doubtful compensator is that noisy after 27K, and clutch pack should be ok unless your popping burnouts etc...and clutches don't typically rattle. Loooong shot would be starter not fully disengaging but the noise from that would probably sound like armageddon.

Not unusual to chase noises that seem to come from here only to discover they come from there instead. Ive seen peeps mistake cam tensioner noise for primary noise before.

Quick Reply: Primary Noise