Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM
07streetbob07
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is rocker clatter normal? Sorry I come from the sport bike world so just want to chase these noises down sooner rather than later to create some longevity to this purchase. Can you go into the rockers a bit more for me? Thank you.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 07streetbob07
Is rocker clatter normal? Sorry I come from the sport bike world so just want to chase these noises down sooner rather than later to create some longevity to this purchase. Can you go into the rockers a bit more for me? Thank you.
Rocker Rattle in Twin Cams is common. Its part of the Sewing Machine sound the valve train makes on the twinkies.

It basically comes from the Bolt Holes in the rocker plate assembly that a) bolt the plate to the head and b) lock the Rocker shaft in place so it doesn't spin as the rockers go up and down, being a poofteeth bigger than the bolt that goes through. This results in the rocker shaft turning back and forth a fraction as the rocker arms do their thing and results in a bit of a clatter. How much clatter depends on mileage, wear etc.
Its not a catastrophic problem. Some peeps live with it, others fix it. You can get inserts called Rocker Lockers, or Rock Outs (i think Rock Out is a Forum sponsor) that fill the gap in the bolt hole and stop the shaft turning, and a lot of the clatter. Takes about an hour to install them and is easy to do.

Other things that make noise are the rockers themselves on the valves (Roller rockers will help with that), and Push rod lash (get adjustable push rods), and hi spec lifters..... and the then the list goes on cause you are now totally into engine mods

Last edited by Krazy8s; 05-09-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

For what its worth, Harleys, twin cams especially, have lots of native rattles and noises. Some would say its part of the bikes charm.....You'll come to know and get used to the noises.

Its the NEW noise you hear one day that you need to investigate.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
07streetbob07
Advanced

Thanks for the in depth tutorial on the rockers...I'll have to keep a closer ear to my noise to determine if it's more top end instead of in the primary I guess. As for your follow up, that's what I'm afraid of- being an 11 yr old machine I'm under the impression THIS clattering is not a OEM noise and probably developed during the previous owners tenure.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

11 years old but only 27K... Not gonna say you've got nothing to worry about, but you may also be just learning the new to you noises.

I will say this, and take the token pinch of salt that goes with it, It seems you've already determined that your primary chain and tensioner are ok. At those miles and assuming you don't know the bikes service history, I would be checking Cam Chain tensioners. Not at all trying to scare you, but they often make a racket when they're worn, an even more awful racket when they're shot, not to mention the potential destruction that follows. And the noise can be mistaken for Primary despite coming from the other side. Noise travels through engine components and a tick here can often be heard as a thwak elsewhere. Its an easy check to do yourself.

You also mention it only occurs above idle.... Its possible its only noticeable above idle.

If it were me, Id simply buy the manual and go through the service motions for that mileage. Good way to get your head in and around your new ride as well as possibly find the issue, if there is one.

There many better tech heads than me on here so hopefully someone else will chime in with further advice.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Have a look around my website, lots of info/pics there. Since I discovered the cause, and the cure for rocker shaft tapping bikers around the world have discovered a new love for their rides!

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Krazy8s
You also mention it only occurs above idle.... Its possible its only noticeable above idle.
I think these go hand in hand...it definitely gets louder with more RPM. I'll read up on the cam chain, tensioner, etc. Thanks for the advice on that. May have to have the ol lady plunk her rear down and roll on the throttle so I can better isolate the origination of this and give you guys a better description.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:35 AM
07streetbob07
Advanced

In keeping with this thread updated for future readers, my clatter is indeed from the top end. I was able to get my ear down there while someone rolled on the throttle after the bike had been ridden for a few miles. Coming from the boxes and is audible from both sides of the bike, more-so primary side. John @ Rockout, I watched your vids, very helpful. I'll be visiting your website for a purchase in the next day or two. Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to keep this updated.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Thanks man. If I can be of any help please let me know.

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

In keeping with this thread updated for future readers, my clatter is indeed from the top end. I was able to get my ear down there while someone rolled on the throttle after the bike had been ridden for a few miles. Coming from the boxes and is audible from both sides of the bike, more-so primary side. John @ Rockout, I watched your vids, very helpful. I'll be visiting your website for a purchase in the next day or two. Thanks for the help, i'll be sure to keep this updated.
Good Job Man! Install is easy, follow the directions you get with the Rockouts.

I Installed them during my 103 build, big difference.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-15-2018)

Quick Reply: Primary Noise