Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna 06 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:06 PM
johnd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna 06 FXDL

Got an 06 Low Rider. Neat bike. Coming from a Buell X-1 Lightning, so presently it seems sluggish. Will address this later.

My problem has to do with excessive vibration in the chassis. It is most prominent in the passenger's position. Through the pegs, the vibration comes up thru my lady's legs and up into her head. She'd rather ride the Buell than this! (You have to know that from the rider's position I have no complaints. Can ride for 3 hours at a time. On the Buell I had to rest my arms every 45 minutes.)

Thru the seat, (standard LR seat), the vibrations felt are excessive.

She can't lean against the sissy bar, or else the darn tuning fork scrambles her innards.

I had my buddy's wife (more experienced rider) on it, and she said that this shook much worse than their Dyna WG 2005.

So have any new Dyna06 owners felt this as well?

So far I have gone to the shorter sissy bar, to reduce the tuning fork issue. No help. Then I went with the after market iso pegs (the heaviest I could find), little help there.

Before I spend the bucks for a touring seat, which my buddy has on his 05DWG, I wanted to ask about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

John D.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Crowdog
Tourer
Default RE: Dyna 06 FXDI

I don't think its an '06 problem, many with new Dyna's rave about how smooth they are.

My new '05 was running great and then has an air sensor go, ran rough....took it in and had the 1000 mi service done when the sensor was replaced.

Rode the bike home tonight and was still much rougher than it had been and it back fired quite a bit. Clutch was also adjusted almost completely out to engage.

I think the tech working the bike has alot to do with how it runs, even with an EFI bike.

Just my humble opinion.

Ride safe.

Crow

Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Jesus, i hope what you describe is not normal for all 06's John. Sounds unbearable for mama! I'm guessin' this is an isolated incident...have service check it out

FYI- 06 dyna is the only year where the factory decided to mount the passenger footpegs on the swing arm instead of the frame. I really hope this isnt the reason for this unpleasant vibe or my ol lady will be upset too when we take delivery of a Bob in a couple weeks...

Any an all 06 owners, grab some one and go for a ride a report back on this vibe issue

Me and John thank you in advance

Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
johnd
Novice

Correct with the new location for the foot peg attachment. I was indeed examining this junction for insertion of a rubber/urethane pad between the swing arm and peg. On the rider's right, it seems that the rear fender would need to be removed. I don't believe there is any such interferrance on the other side.

I have brought my concern to the dealership where I bought the bike. They said that they have received a number of similar complaints about the vibrations, but interestingly enough, mine was the first to target the passenger. All of the previous complaints were concerning the rider, and most say at idle.

For me this is a problem seems worse (wife's input) in second gear at revs between 2200 and say 2800. When mentioning this to the service fella, all I got was a blank expression.

So I would be really interested to hear if there are any other folks who may have experienced the same sort of thing.

I did the usual inspection for loose mounts, loose fasteners between engine and gearbox, and visual inspection for such weird things such as a cracked chassis, and untrued wheels. All looks as it should be.

John D.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:56 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

I had a similar problem with an 04 and it ended up being the rear tire allignment I didn't feel it much up front but wife sure did I know its a different model but you may wanna look into it.

steve

Old 10-19-2005, 10:21 AM
johnd
Novice

Steve:

I'll take a look at the rear wheel alignment next. I hope......

Thanks for the input.

John D.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 AM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: billybobber

Any an all 06 owners, grab some one and go for a ride a report back on this vibe issue

Me and John thank you in advance
My wife has ridden 2-up probably 1,000 miles on our '06 FXDCI, and has no complaints at all. Very smooth!

I would take the bike in to the dealer. Something ain't right.

Wally

Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Crowdog
Tourer

Have em check out how tight they have your primary chain. Same with drive belt.

Had mine loosened a bit today, smoothed out the bike some.

Ride safe.

Crow

Old 10-19-2005, 04:33 PM
johnd
Novice

Crow:

Thanks for the tip. Did you have a vibration as I described or elsewhere in the bike? Your suggestion seems quite logical, and I am thankful for your input.

John D.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Crowdog
Tourer

I solo ride...I'm an old fart and realize my reflexes are shot to hell so I don't hang anyone on the back of the bike. (been riding for around 45 years)

I felt it mainly thru my butt and footpegs..not much in my hands.

If they can't find the problem ya gonna have to tell your wife she can't ride with ya anymore and you will have to get one of the t-shirts that say "If you can read this the b --ch fell off again!"

Just made your wife's $hit list, didn't I.

Ride safe.

Crow

Quick Reply: Dyna 06 FXDL