Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody own or ever own Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018 | 07:49 PM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

I own both and love them for what they are. If I had to choose, would probably hold on to the FLHX.

Old 05-02-2018 | 08:50 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Default Have had both

Started on a super glide, went to a StreetGlide in 09 because I wanted to tour and commute more comfortably and I lived in Texas with wide open space to ride...fast forward to 2015 and I no longer tour or commute to work and I live in Louisiana where the roads are much less favorable to riding. I traded in the SG for a WideGlide. I still miss my fairing, windshield and stereo ( at times) but the WG weighs over 200 lbs less and with the skinny front tire it handles like a 10 speed bike by comparison. Much easier to handle for the type of riding I now do. It boils down to what you want and what you are going to use it for. I wanted the luxury when I was on the road but don't NEED it to go bar hopping or day trips. The bike I now have is suited for my use.

The following users liked this post:
Roy Hudson (05-02-2018)
Old 05-03-2018 | 05:05 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

When I was in the market for a bagger, I had planned on getting a SG. I rode both the road and the street glides. I ended up buying the Road glide. I found the frame mounted fairing much better for me, for wind protection and stability. One of the roads I tested on is i95 in New York, which is full of big rigs. The street glide’s fork mounted fairing would feedback a lot of buffet to the bars, sometimes a disconcerting amount, while the Road glide was rock steady. Plus the Road glide felt like it handled better and offered better wind protection, for me... Recommend you try one before you buy anything.

Also, i’m Probably a bit nuts, but when I ride my RGS, I think to myself “If I had to have only one ride, this would be it” until I ride my LRS, then the same thought passes through my tiny brain.

And of course when I get on the FXR now...

Last edited by Mchad; 05-03-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2020 | 03:15 PM
Tommytom25
Stage I
Default Love my Street Glide

I have a 2015 Street Glide CVO. I previously had a Streer BoB and loves it for around town riding or riding short distance. I decided that i wanted to be able to ride long distance and be comfortable at tha same time, so i went with the street glide. Not only is it more comfortable, but i love th3 stereo system that i can connect to my blue tooth. I also love the navigation so i dont have to use my cell phone. The sleek look and smooth ride is amazing and i get alot of compliments on it. The bike is extremely easy to handle and the power is amazing. I will never own anything else bit a SG. Amazing motorcycle!!!

Old 01-15-2020 | 07:00 PM
orange52
Cruiser

I went from a 14 Street Glide that I absolutely loved to a brand new 18 Street Glide that I hated.
The 18 M8 motor had clatter in the top end that bothered me to no end. Dealership wouldn't do jack, or even seriously look at. Long story short, I took a loss on it just to get rid of it. Life is to short for that kind of aggravation
A month or so later I found my FatBob. I don't really miss the radio but the I do miss the cruise control and the bags..
I may own another touring bike some day but for now the FatBob works just fine.

Old 01-17-2020 | 06:00 PM
1Dyna03
Tourer

Older post brought back to life eh.. I had 2014 SG and thought that was what I really wanted after I sold my 02 Springer. Did a Stg 1 upgrade on a budget with Nightrider FLIEDs, Screaming Eagle A/C set up, and Full Boar slip-ons w/ de-catted Headpipes. It ran and sounded great. I really just didn't like the Bagger.. I sold it after 2 years and eventually found my 03 Dyna, that I have done many mods to, as of now. Its pure Harley to me and I like it much better.

Old 01-18-2020 | 09:20 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

I had a 2005 Dyna, Stage1, forward controls, Boss Bags and an HD detachable windshield. It was a fantastic bike and I rode it all over the country.

In 2009 I traded it, with 45,000 miles, on a new 2009i SG. It was a nice bike. I sold in it 2013 with 35,000 miles (2 kids in college).

In 2017 I picked up a 2009 Road King Classic. I thought about another Dyna but ended up with the Road King.

This past summer I sold the RD and I am now looking for a lightly used Dyna Custom or a 2014 - 2016 Low Rider. I never really got used to the floorboards and i always missed the forward controls from my Dyna.

I always felt the Dyna was the perfect all around HD. With a windshield , forward controls and a good seat it is a very comfortable ride. Throw on a set of saddle bags and you have a great long distance cruiser.
The Dyna is just heavy enough to ride nicely down the highway but light enough to have some fun on the back roads.

Last edited by SC_Compact; 01-18-2020 at 09:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SC_Compact:
1Dyna03 (01-18-2020), RetroRob (01-21-2020)
Old 01-18-2020 | 09:32 AM
Chris gibson
Cruiser

Had a 2001 RK & my brother brought his 2003 ultra to keep in my garage for about 3mo. He told me ride it whenever u want! So I did. Affter a month I bought a street glide & sold the RK.

Old 01-21-2020 | 12:32 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

My wife and I both have Dyna Switchbacks. I've done test rides on the 2017 M8 SGS, RGS and RK, and 2014 TC 103 RK, and rented a 2018 Ultra during a visit to Montana last summer.

Pro's to the touring bikes
- Smooth, especially compared to a Dyna. The heftier weight of the touring frames give the bikes a very planted feel, and the motor vibes are transmitted smoother through the bike.
- Handle really well, especially for the size of the bike.
- Cornering clearance - Just about in all cases, the Touring bikes, especially the RK and Ultra, have better cornering clearance that the Dynas
- Better 2 up platform for long distance
- Stereo (on SGS, RGS and Ultra)
- Luggage (bags are about 1/3 bigger in volume compared to the Switchback bags)
- Brakes - The dual Brembos on the Touring line blow away any Dyna I've ridden (haven't ridden an LRS). Nice feel and they stop the bike quickly and smoothly

Pro's to the Dyna
- Visceral feel (if you like that sort of thing...I do)
- Weight - At least 100 lbs lighter (Switchback is listed as 720lbs wet weight, SGS is listed as 821 wet weight). When riding the Switchback, weight is very rarely something that concerns me. On the touring bikes (not as much an issue with the Road King), I'm always aware of slinging around A LOT of weight. I've read people get used to the heavier weight, but when rented an Ultra last summer for a week (900+ miles), I can't say I ever reached something close to being comfortable with the weight.
- Excellent solo touring platform. Can do 2 up easily, but the Touring bikes are better for 2up....long distance
- Better "purist" design. Very minimal extras to distract from the riding experience (same with Road King)
- Luggage (Switchback specific). While the touring bikes have bigger bags than the FLD, how are the bags are shaped around the shock eats up "useable" space inside, which can negate somewhat the overall dimension advantage of the touring bags.

Of the touring bikes I've tried, I liked the Road King above all. It handled very very well and I felt reasonably comfortable with it, and of course the form factor is very similar to the Switchback. The SGS that I test road was the next easiest to pilot. While weird at first, I liked having the fairing up close vs the Road Glides fairing which felt very far away. The Ultra was my least favorite. It was stupid heavy (over 900 lbs). The 107 M8 felt a little weak in this platform due to the mass of the bike.

I toy with the purchase of either a Road King (standard) or Street Glide. I wouldn't get the SGS just due to cost. I'm not buying a $27k bike....period. Another option is the Electraglide Standard, kind of splits the difference between an RK and SG, and is actually priced a smidge cheaper than the RK, but it shows due to polished aluminum vs. chrome/black. Not that I lack for touring on my Switchback ,but I would expect a Street Glide would entice me to do big(ger) rides.

Old 01-23-2020 | 06:15 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member

Dyna = fun scoot
SG = work scoot

Riding each takes a totally different mind set

Ghost

Quick Reply: Anybody own or ever own Street Glide?