Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a Low Rider S, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:18 PM
Hickster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a Low Rider S, need advice

I just bought an immaculate '16 Low Rider S for a great price.It looks great but it doesn't fit me very well.The main problem seems to be the forward controls that were added.The bars are still stock and I have the stock seat and a Mustang seat that came with it. When just sitting on the bike or riding at slow speeds it's fine but the minute the wind hits on the highway,I'm too far back and cant reach the bars or pegs comfortably which makes for an unpleasant ride. I'm not a little guy,I'm 5 foot 10,250 lbs. I really wanted the stock mid controls because of the look I'm going for and the way I wanted to set the bike up but the bike was so clean I couldn't pass it up.Is a seat that pushes me forward the answer? There is no "kit" for putting it back to mid controls so it's really expensive to "piece" it back together with new parts from the dealer. Any help/advice appreciated.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:02 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Hickster
I just bought an immaculate '16 Low Rider S for a great price.It looks great but it doesn't fit me very well.The main problem seems to be the forward controls that were added.The bars are still stock and I have the stock seat and a Mustang seat that came with it. When just sitting on the bike or riding at slow speeds it's fine but the minute the wind hits on the highway,I'm too far back and cant reach the bars or pegs comfortably which makes for an unpleasant ride. I'm not a little guy,I'm 5 foot 10,250 lbs. I really wanted the stock mid controls because of the look I'm going for and the way I wanted to set the bike up but the bike was so clean I couldn't pass it up.Is a seat that pushes me forward the answer? There is no "kit" for putting it back to mid controls so it's really expensive to "piece" it back together with new parts from the dealer. Any help/advice appreciated.
Get on some of the IG and FB buy/sell/trade boards. Also the classifieds here. I know a lot of people are always looking to trade mids for forwards and vice versa.

As as far as the handlebars, I found they were too wide for me and I was more hunched over than I wanted to be so I switched them for 10” risers and 3.5” rise bars.

The following users liked this post:
Hickster (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 10:10 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,774 Likes on 836 Posts

Keep an eye open and also put an advertisement on the forum that you want to trade your forward controls for a set of mids. Be aware that your bike and the latest generation Low Riders come with “ Farther Forward” Mid Controls. Not that you need them because the standard mids will also fit. The Farther Forward are pretty comfortable though.

Hickster (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:32 PM
Hoges
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I agree what others have said, see if you can source the further forward mids and put the pegs back to stock.
I installed 2 inch riser blocks on the stock bar risers and have the stock bars and have found it much better on longer rides, I found in stock form I was constantly reaching forward for the bars which gave me lower back pain.

Hickster (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Mighty Joe
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats bro! That bike you bought is IMHO the treasure of the HD line-ups albeit its in the past!!! You will love, it especially when you get'er set up just the way you want it. Just put those mid-forward pegs back on and there is a plethora of handle bar options out there too.

Good luck!!

Hickster (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Cubby89
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When I bought my FXDB it came with further forward controls on it. I'm the same height as you and hated riding with them on. First thing I did was get mid controls back on. I bought the controls on ebay for around $140 and picked up all the gaskets and stuff from the dealership.

This thread helped me TONS with making sure I had everything I needed and what to expect when doing it. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post13669243

Also had my service manual handy to make sure I got everything back together properly. It was a lot easier than I expected, took about 5 hours but we took our time and had to make one trip to the dealership. As long as you have everything you need when you start it can be done in one sitting.

Hickster (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm 5'2" and have forwards on my Wide Glide. Get yourself a reduced reach seat. they push you forward 3 inches and lower you an inch. It made a huge difference for me and now the forwards feel more like further forward mids. A reduced reach seat will make a big difference.

Hickster (04-02-2018)