Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension and tire Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Smite
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suspension and tire Q

So i F'd something up on the bike. 1995 wideglide. I swapped my rear tire to a 140/90-16 commander II. My 11" progressive shock was popped and I was getting some weird feedback in corners and highway. They don't sell rebuilds for the 440. I threw on what i think are some SB stock 12.5" shocks (look like harley stockers and black) I picked up at a local shop. He said they'd fit and they looked good once bolted up. They also seemed to ride pretty smooth and highway wobble was much better.

Well a decent dip came up on me pretty quick and I bottomed them out. On impact my tail light was ripped off, the rear fender is pretty tweaked - enough to crack the paint in multiple spots. It looks like where the tail light wires enter the inside of the fender the impact severed them clean off at the hole. By the damage it looks like the rear wheel tried to come through the top of the rear fender.

Since I switched the tire and suspension at the same time I'm wondering which swap most likely caused this, if not both? The tire cleared my belt no problem so I thought I was okay.

I'll post a few pictures up in a bit. Nothing too horrible but I'm thinking I'll be needing a new fender either way.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,693 Likes on 3,154 Posts

Tire - should not caused the issue

Suspension - did you set the sag before riding it (betting the suspension was not stiff enough to keep it from bottoming out (obviously)

Ghost

Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,310 Likes on 1,859 Posts

"Loose" Shocks (as in laying on a shelf somewhere) without knowing what exactly they are for, but "will fit" can get people in trouble

Dynas need a different spring rate than Sportsers and FXR because they have a different "Lever" although they usually will mount up

Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Smite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Tire - should not caused the issue

Suspension - did you set the sag before riding it (betting the suspension was not stiff enough to keep it from bottoming out (obviously)

Ghost
I did not set the sag. I figured I was riding solo so I just went with the middle notch. I'm 210lb so I figured thatd be about right but looks like i was wrong.

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
"Loose" Shocks (as in laying on a shelf somewhere) without knowing what exactly they are for, but "will fit" can get people in trouble

Dynas need a different spring rate than Sportsers and FXR because they have a different "Lever" although they usually will mount up
He said it was off a newer dyna. He swapped to progressive for the customer and the guy said keep the shocks. They were black which is what made me assume Street Bob. They look brand new but I know that doesnt meant a lot. Not sure if anyone can tell by the look of them, but I'll get some pictures up here in a minute.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:17 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

You added some tire diameter. Maybe enough to cause interference. Not sure how the shock lengths on the bump stops compare, but that may also be a factor...

Old 03-26-2018, 12:36 AM
Smite
Advanced

I didn't think about bump stop difference. I didn't notice rubbing on the sides like the tire was too wide or off center when I pulled over. It looked more like the tire was too tall or the suspension didn't completely bottom soon enough. Looks like a little over 1/4" difference at top of tire though, maybe that was just enough . Here are a few pictures not sure if they will help. Eye to eye unloaded these measure 12.5 .
Suspension and tire Q-86ecl92.jpg
Suspension and tire Q-omfaqpe.jpg

Suspension and tire Q-s6ao7ss.jpg

Last edited by Smite; 03-26-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Smite
Advanced

Anyone near SoCal know of someone able to fix this and repaint? The tins creased pretty well in multiple spots. Looking at in more I'm not so sure the tire actually hit the fender, I think it sucked the tail light housing up under the fender which caused the damage.

I planed to find a pull off and repaint but I haven't been able to find one from this year. I see '99 but not sure if the rear is the same. Are sportsers from they year or newer similar width? I see those everywhere and wonder if it could be an alternative.

The following users liked this post:
Rt13MFer (04-14-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:03 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Def nor the tire. The word shock is generous for the stock setup. Its a POS quality. Sticks with springs more like it. Their hydraulic setup is cheaper than my bicycle shocks.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:12 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,703 Likes on 3,090 Posts

DANG! If you hit a bump that hard to cause that damage, be sure you check your wheel spokes as they are your wheel integrity.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Smite
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Def nor the tire. The word shock is generous for the stock setup. Its a POS quality. Sticks with springs more like it. Their hydraulic setup is cheaper than my bicycle shocks.
Yeah I'll be going with a quality shock after this experience that's for sure.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
DANG! If you hit a bump that hard to cause that damage, be sure you check your wheel spokes as they are your wheel integrity.
Good point. I just got the rear wheel re-spoked so I should be checking them anyway.

I picked up some Joker Machine rear turn signals that I plan to wire in as Brake/Run/Turn signals. I bobbed this fender to remove most of the damaged area, pulled my strut covers and am just running it like that for now. After shocks I'll start trying to make it look good again, for now just gonna ride it.
At least its behind me and I don't need to look at it!