Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Twin Cam advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: '99 Twin Cam advise

OK guys... Anyone seen the chrome rocker boxes "spiderweb"?? I dont recall noticing this on other bikes(factory chrome). How big of a deal is it to replace them on a '99 Wide Glide? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.. Thoughts on the price for an otherwise average condition WG are welcome too.. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:34 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

The cam bearing was NOT a recall. Harley increased the warranty to 5 years or 50,000 miles. Being a 1999 model.....it is past the cam bearing warranty. No recall on the cam bearings.

The recall was the bolts on the cam support plate were weak and would break. If this recall has not been performed....they will replace these bolts.

The price is right and if you like the Twin Cam....go for it.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:06 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

I'm over 51k now on mine and the only problem has been cam position sensor. I figure I'll ride the hell out of it, blow it up and punch it out to 95" and start over.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool, we looked at it twice and I think he's going to try to work someting out.. The chrome is the paculiar part to me.. I have never seen an EVO do this, but I have spoken to a couple of other guys and even on E-bay, there are some rocker covers that have bubles in the chrome and it appears to be somewhat comon on the TC. With 10k on the bike, even if the bearing was to come apart, I believe it would just be incentive for us to tear it apart and make it all better... We've always worked on cars, so this would be a fun project..

Thanks again guys,

Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: HGM

Cool, we looked at it twice and I think he's going to try to work someting out.. The chrome is the paculiar part to me.. I have never seen an EVO do this, but I have spoken to a couple of other guys and even on E-bay, there are some rocker covers that have bubles in the chrome and it appears to be somewhat comon on the TC. With 10k on the bike, even if the bearing was to come apart, I believe it would just be incentive for us to tear it apart and make it all better... We've always worked on cars, so this would be a fun project..

Thanks again guys,
Usually, if THAT cam bearing fails.....it fails within the first few thousand's miles. At 10,000 miles, the chances of that bearing failure is less. If it does decide to fail....then replace it with the Torrington cam bearings though. Do not let anyone convince you to install the stock INA cam bearing. The Twin Cams are good engines from the factory....but far from being great. The owner has to make them great!

I forgot to mention though, take a look at the front exhaust bracket near your right foot. This bracket is bolted to the engine with three torx screws. The screws have a habit of vibrating out or the heads shearing off. It seems tobe more common on '99-'01 models for some reason. These maybe fine....but definately worth taking a look at.