Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna's With A Fat Front Tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018 | 02:01 PM
OldKent
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cggorman
Thanks.

Customized FLH hub, Buchanan stainless spoke set, Excel aluminum rim 17x4.5, custom spacers...

Fat Bob forks, Wide Glide trees.

This was several months ago, before I did the brakes, controls, air cleaner, etc. Still have a way to go. It looks like a wreck right now...no tank, no seat, no battery, wiring harness everywhere...
I'm liking the forks. I switched my dual disc brake to a single since I'm using stock wide glide forks and triple tree. I wonder if they sell just the covers so I can have the option to go back to dual disc if I wanted to..

Old 03-05-2018 | 02:05 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Not sure which covers you mean, but my old Thunderstar front wheel was drilled and tapped on both sides for dual discs and had a cover bolted on the right hub face. I'm betting those covers or something similar are still available.

Old 03-06-2018 | 01:14 AM
OldKent
|
Intermediate

It's the covers where your brake calipers bolt onto. I re-read what you wrote and saw that you used Fat Bob forks.

I would have never thought about using Fat Bob forks, they look really good on your bike.

Old 03-06-2018 | 04:43 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

OK. I've never seen anything like that.

V rod, Low rider, and Fat bob are all viable donors for 49mm dual disc. Each has different caliper mounting. Low Rider is easiest, from what I understand. I got the Fat Bob parts before I knew that.

I'm not sure about 39mm or 41mm. Maybe touring bike lowers, but they don't have dust covers.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-06-2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2018 | 09:31 PM
OldKent
|
Intermediate

Ok. I was reading a thread somewhere that someone used a FL front end for his Dyna. They did some modification to have it properly bolt on, but I didn't want to do that since this was my first project so I went straight for the Wide Glide triple tree and forks.

Old 03-06-2018 | 09:38 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I never cared for the trees or lowers on the early Dynas so I went straight to the 49mm stuff. Cleaner lines and stiffer. Pretty much bolt-on. The steering stops aren't quite right...too much travel lock-to-lock. And you lose the neck lock. Otherwise it was a snap.

Old 03-06-2018 | 11:38 PM
OldKent
|
Intermediate

How do you know if your forks are 49mm? I noticed that these stock 2003 FXDWG forks look burlier than my stock 2003 FXDX forks.. The steering stops on the FXDWG triple tree are a bit more spacious than the FXDX triple tree, I was a bit worried at first but after riding it was ok.

Old 03-06-2018 | 11:54 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

99-05 the forks were either 39mm or 41mm. I know the Wide Glides were 41mm and many (maybe all?) of the others were 39mm. I'm not sure which.
In 06 they all (I believe) became 49mm. There are different tree widths and tree rakes, as well as different tube lengths and sliders.

The following users liked this post:
OldKent (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018 | 01:14 AM
OldKent
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a peek in the factory manual to see what it says..

I'll post some more pictures of my bike in the future, I'm slowly working on putting handlebars together for an easy transition. I saw the idea in a thread here on installing new handlebars. The OP made it look easy and had me saying "Why didn't I think of that?!"

Old 03-07-2018 | 11:54 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldKent
I'm liking the forks. I switched my dual disc brake to a single since I'm using stock wide glide forks and triple tree. I wonder if they sell just the covers so I can have the option to go back to dual disc if I wanted to..

My FXDB was just a piece of sheet aluminum.

Built this

Quick Reply: Dyna's With A Fat Front Tire