Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danmoto Highwayman 2-1 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:22 PM
megatoph
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danmoto Highwayman 2-1 Exhaust

Not too many reviews online for this exhaust, so I figured I'd throw my 2c into the interwebs.

So the Danmoto exhaust is a full exhaust that ships out to you in pieces; two header pipes, and the muffler. Baffle inside, removable via two screws. The exhaust is one of, if not THE cheapest full system you'll find on the market. I picked mine up for just over $300. They have it available in matte black and stainless steel finishes. For those of you living in California like me, you'll need to fill out a form and send it to Danmoto as this pipe is considered a racing pipe and technically not street legal (catalytic converter issue, I think).

Install wasn't that difficult, but there were definitely some annoyances. Everything will fit together, albeit with a little elbow grease. I decided to look up the Danmoto official install video on youtube, and it helps figure out what order you should install everything. The video suggests that you purchase a specific Screamin' Eagle gasket, but I used a different crushable type and it worked out just fine. Picked up new flanges as well. The retaining ring is a bitch to get over the end of the header without bending it too much, and pliers were necessary.

Now performance. I went from stock headers and a thunderheader slip on to the Danmoto. Since this Danmoto 2-1 is a shorter exhaust, you do notice a slight, SLIGHT loss of low end power, but it more than makes up for mid range and top end power. It gave my bike much more of a "keeps pulling and pulling" feel. You'll want to program the computer with an FMS; I have a V&H FP3 and it worked out great. No decel pops at all unless I'm revving high into the 4.5/5ks.

The sound, in my opinion, is the best part of this pipe. It's a real low tone, throaty, and just enough volume at idle to make your pants tight. Not obnoxiously loud, and when you crank it, hold on to your nips, ladies. It sounds real sexy.

I'll get into what I DON'T like about this pipe.

This pipe does NOT come with heatshields; not available for the Dyna model on their site either. It's only February so it's not too unbearable, but for summer riding, you may want to fabricate some heat shields or maybe even wrap it. I've noticed that if you keep your right foot on the ground as opposed to on the peg at a stop(FXDL anyway), it keeps a lot of heat off of you. As mentioned above, installation was kind of annoying. All in all, probably took me about 2 hours, the last half of course full of swearing and wiping sweaty grease on my face. It should have been a 45 minute job.

All in all, incredibly happy with this pipe, especially for its price point. Included a picture so y'all can see what it looks like. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Attached Thumbnails Danmoto Highwayman 2-1 Exhaust-20180219_140921-01.jpeg  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I predict it's going to do a lot of self clearancing in right hand corners....

Old 02-22-2018, 05:56 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,476 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Do you have a sound bite...?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM
megatoph
Novice

I'll try to upload one soon, most likely tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy

Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Torco1
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I too bought a DanMoto exhaust for my Dyna, mainly because I also live in CA and it's a pain in the *** trying to buy an after market exhaust here and DanMoto will sell to you in CA if you fill out a form saying you're using for "competition" only.

Anyway, it's pretty much a copy of the Vance & Hines Competition Series 2-1 exhaust. Installation was pretty easy, it went on without any issues and it's pretty solid once mounted. It does scrape the ground sometimes, but I have taller shocks and it helps with the scraping quite a bit.

So far I've been really impressed with it, I used to work for an after market exhaust company and this exhaust has been holding up just as well and anything else out there. I also have cams and race heads on my bike and it's making over 100hp, the exhaust seemed to perform better after I did the motor work and it's still holding together with the extra power my bike has.

As for a heat shield, Lowbrow customs has a few pretty good universal heat shield for around $30. I went with a 6" heat shield and it works perfectly. Here's a link for them..... https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/smoot...-black-ed.html

You can see the heat shield on my bike here....

The following users liked this post:
Stud Duck (04-23-2020)
Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 AM
megatoph
Novice

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the heat shield link. I'll most likely go with that. I like my bikes slammed as hell so I have Burly 10.5"s on, and I've only scraped once going up a weirdly slanted driveway. I haven't done any winding roads the last month or so, so that'll be the real test; I'm sure it'll scrape a bit with how low everything is. I don't mind though; my last bike had floorboards and those things were aaaalways scraping. But yeah, thanks again!

Originally Posted by Torco1
I too bought a DanMoto exhaust for my Dyna, mainly because I also live in CA and it's a pain in the *** trying to buy an after market exhaust here and DanMoto will sell to you in CA if you fill out a form saying you're using for "competition" only.

Anyway, it's pretty much a copy of the Vance & Hines Competition Series 2-1 exhaust. Installation was pretty easy, it went on without any issues and it's pretty solid once mounted. It does scrape the ground sometimes, but I have taller shocks and it helps with the scraping quite a bit.

So far I've been really impressed with it, I used to work for an after market exhaust company and this exhaust has been holding up just as well and anything else out there. I also have cams and race heads on my bike and it's making over 100hp, the exhaust seemed to perform better after I did the motor work and it's still holding together with the extra power my bike has.

As for a heat shield, Lowbrow customs has a few pretty good universal heat shield for around $30. I went with a 6" heat shield and it works perfectly. Here's a link for them..... https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/smoot...-black-ed.html

You can see the heat shield on my bike here....

Old 02-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Torco1
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by megatoph
Oh hell yeah, thanks for the heat shield link. I'll most likely go with that. I like my bikes slammed as hell so I have Burly 10.5"s on, and I've only scraped once going up a weirdly slanted driveway. I haven't done any winding roads the last month or so, so that'll be the real test; I'm sure it'll scrape a bit with how low everything is. I don't mind though; my last bike had floorboards and those things were aaaalways scraping. But yeah, thanks again!
No problem at all, it was still hot out when I got my exhaust.....so yeah, I know how hot they get. The heat shield sits right where your leg goes so it worked out perfect......especially for 30 bucks. I had lower shocks on mine too at first and it still didn't hit to bad, especially when just riding normal.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM
megatoph
Novice

Took this during my lunch break today; obviously phone videos don't do it quality, but you get the gist of it.

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy

Old 02-22-2018, 04:59 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,758 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Low end loss for top end gain? Well, it's good if you are always WFO in the upper RPM range.
It's almost lile a cam ground for peaky performance.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:09 PM
megatoph
Novice

It's a very, very slight low end loss. The mid range gain really outweighs it. I can still power the front end up off the ground without clutch work, so I'm totally okay with it.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Low end loss for top end gain? Well, it's good if you are always WFO in the upper RPM range.
It's almost lile a cam ground for peaky performance.

Quick Reply: Danmoto Highwayman 2-1 Exhaust