Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Glide or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018 | 04:18 AM
OliviaTravels
|
Intermediate
Default Sport Glide or Street Glide

Hi everyone I'm Olivia and still new to posting here. Can I ask which Glide would you recommend for my bf. He lives in Dubai right now and is looking at getting a Glide model. Which would you think is best for riding in Dubai? Thanks any help but be much appreciated as I am getting advice and will pass it on to him. Olivia xx

Old 02-18-2018 | 04:27 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

the new sport glide is a joke.. if he wants light weight get a switchback, it has usable bags and you can get a tourpak mount and a batwing fairing..

riding in England with all of the filtering you guys do though im not sure I would even own a Harley

The following users liked this post:
OliviaTravels (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 04:31 AM
OliviaTravels
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
the new sport glide is a joke.. if he wants light weight get a switchback, it has usable bags and you can get a tourpak mount and a batwing fairing..

riding in England with all of the filtering you guys do though im not sure I would even own a Harley
Wow thanks ok so how do you mean filtering? And he is buying one in Dubai not here in England. Will it be filtered in Dubai as well then? xx

Old 02-18-2018 | 05:56 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Olivia, you're asking for opinions about Softail and Touring bikes in the Dyna forum. There is a pretty strong.bias in here against the Softail and a general lack of enthusiasm for the heavy touring bikes.

The Sport and Street are different frames built for different purposes. They have the same engines, tho. The Sport is a newer design and weighs about 100 pounds less than the Street. The 2018 Softails (the Sport) are generally regarded as very good by the unbiased.

For a faster, sportier ride I'd choose the Sport.
For a more comfortable long distance ride I'd choose the Street.

Regardless of our opinions, I'd STRONGLY urge your partner test both. At the absolute minimum I'd suggest sitting on them both to ensure there are no ergonomics issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
JatoTheRipper (02-07-2022), OliviaTravels (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 06:14 AM
OliviaTravels
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cggorman
Olivia, you're asking for opinions about Softail and Touring bikes in the Dyna forum. There is a pretty strong.bias in here against the Softail and a general lack of enthusiasm for the heavy touring bikes.

The Sport and Street are different frames built for different purposes. They have the same engines, tho. The Sport is a newer design and weighs about 100 pounds less than the Street. The 2018 Softails (the Sport) are generally regarded as very good by the unbiased.

For a faster, sportier ride I'd choose the Sport.
For a more comfortable long distance ride I'd choose the Street.

Regardless of our opinions, I'd STRONGLY urge your partner test both. At the absolute minimum I'd suggest sitting on them both to ensure there are no ergonomics issues.
Hi thank you, awesome advice and I will pass all this on to him. He definitely needs to sit on them and test drive them I totally agree xx

Old 02-18-2018 | 07:55 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by OliviaTravels
Wow thanks ok so how do you mean filtering? And he is buying one in Dubai not here in England. Will it be filtered in Dubai as well then? xx
ignore that hate. Sport glide is a better bike than the switchback ever was. The switchback was the "joke"

Sport glide is great. street glide is a distance bike meant for touring.

Last edited by cvaria; 02-18-2018 at 07:57 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cvaria:
badcooky (02-19-2018), JatoTheRipper (02-07-2022), OliviaTravels (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018 | 07:57 AM
OliviaTravels
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvaria
ignore that hate. Sport glide is a better bike than the switchback ever was. The switchback was the "joke"
Oh wow ok thanks for that!! xx

Old 02-19-2018 | 06:37 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria

Sport glide is great. street glide is a distance bike meant for touring.

the switchback was far from a joke and was a good all around motorcycle
but I wont argue those points with you right now

with that said my comment is far from hate, its the truth.. the sport glide is just a slim with an unusable fairing and bags that are smaller than the switchback.. I assume you have ridden the sport glide then with your comment of it being GREAT.. personally I found it lacking and would just opt for a slim and add my own bags and a windscreen and since they are all TBW the cruise can be added anytime you feel like it

furthermore there is no way I would own any heavy Harley in the UK or UAE.. too wide too heavy and too bulky in general and not designed for the filtering that goes on there on a daily basis

The following 2 users liked this post by 1HD1C:
Norcalsvt (02-19-2018), OliviaTravels (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018 | 07:21 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Smile

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
the switchback was far from a joke and was a good all around motorcycle...
was so good that it was cancelled long before the dyna was.
it was just a 103 dyna (along with all the dyna problems) with hard bags, quick detach windshield, and a pointless bulbous front end that did nothing for handling. no improvements. if i stuck detachable hard bags and my windshield on.... i'd have a switichback, lol. lighten up

the new bikes are better performers overall, that includes your switchback. sport glide has better suspension (not a slim), more cubes, upgraded tech, stock leds, stock cruise control, etc... real issues, cramped forwards, needs further forwards or, if you must, floor boards. lame single disk. silly mini fairing can go though.

it's okay to love your bike but, keep it real. don't go throwing shade on bikes if you can't handle shade being thrown on yours.

Last edited by cvaria; 02-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
JatoTheRipper (02-07-2022), OliviaTravels (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018 | 07:23 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Filtering, aka lane splitting or white lining, is a choice. Plenty of room in the normal lane for a truck, let alone anything smaller.

Regardless, the discontinued Switchback is irrelevant in this discussion. The OP is looking at new bikes.

The Slim and.Sport Glide differ in more ways than just the fairing and bags. The inverted front end and.alloy wheels alone justify the added $2500 over the Slim. Add in the standard ABS, Cruise, extra lean angle, and convertible luggage and it becomes (IMO) a good value for those considering it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
cvaria (02-19-2018), OliviaTravels (02-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Sport Glide or Street Glide