Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:45 AM
jonesy1340
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak

I have a 1995 FXDL, owned for three years and ridden daily.

There appears to be a small amount of oil dripping out of my air filter cover for about the last 7 months. It started about the same time as I had a high-flow air filter fitted by a shop. Whether this is related to the problem I don't know, and the shop has since closed.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be, and if so how to fix it?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts
Default RE: oil leak

I'd say check your oil level, also the vacuum tubes that go into the intake of the carburator may not have any vacuum (if your bike has those), they come out of the heads to purge any oil vapors that develop, they seem to increase if your oil is over full. I have an 06 superglide and every now and then when I clean my air filter I see some oil residue in the opening of the throttle body, but no dripping oil though. Just my thoughts, though I'm no expert. But it sounds good to me

Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: oil leak

It's pretty common to get the drip...usually after long, hard highway riding.

Oil mist will exit the heads via the breathers (TC supposedly less than EVO) and eventually make its way though the tubes into the air cleaner where it's supposed to be pulled through the carb and burned. Problem is, that not all of the oil gets into the carb and ends up soaking the air cleaner element and eventually dripping out onto your bike.

I strongly believe that having the beather tubes routed into the air cleaner end up pulling oil out of the head by way of carb vacuum. After getiing oil on my air cleaner too many times, I temporarily rerouted the breather tubes using clear tubing to track how much oil actually comes out of the heads. After removing the tubes from the air cleaner, I've hardly had any oil come out of the heads.

Keep the air cleaner clean. This will allow the carb's vacuum to draw more air through the air filter instead of trying to pull the air from the heads.

Make sure you're not overfilling the oil.

If you're still getting the drips after in-town riding then you may have a problem elsewhere.

I think there is a write-up on this in the tech section somewhere.