Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from primary

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018 | 11:29 PM
99DWG
|
Novice
Default Oil leak from primary

I have a 99 dyna wide glide that sat in a shed for 5 years. I am in the process of restoring it. When I first got it, i moved it some and it did not leak oil from the primary. After going through all the gears and moving the bike back and forth to free up any possible stuck clutch plates, the primary has started to leak. It appears it’s coming from somewhere high behind the primary cover and leaking down, forming a drip on the drain plug. I have primary oil from harley but have not changed it yet. Is there an additive i can add to possibly help with the leak? Im hopeful that once i get some heat into the bike from riding it, maybe the seal will swell some and it will leak less or stop completely. Thanks!!

Last edited by 99DWG; 02-11-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2018 | 10:24 AM
Kcougar
Intermediate

Fairly easy job to replace the gasket yourself, plus you'll have changed the fluid after sitting for five years right?

Old 02-12-2018 | 10:59 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

Is it leaking between the primary cover and the rear primary or behind the rear primary?

Old 02-12-2018 | 11:07 AM
99DWG
|
Novice

Im pretty sure its coming up from behind the primary. If it was the primary gasket I would not have made this thread. Ive already put a good bit of money into the bike with more to be spent (needs new tires) so im really just trying to see if i can put off replacing the seal for later down the road. Im not sure this is something i want to tackle myself and would probably pay someone to do the work. Ive cleaned it really well and it becomes moist with oil again behind the primary so im thinking at this point the fix is not simple

Last edited by 99DWG; 02-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2018 | 11:19 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

It sounds like either the mainshaft is leaking between the mainshaft bearing and the race or the transmission is leaking at the mainshaft seal.

Old 02-12-2018 | 11:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Good chance sitting, a little corrision on the main shaft where it comes thru may have nicked the seal. Unless you had planned on pulling the primary cover, just ignore it for now.
Throw some new Harley's Formula+ in the transmission and primary. Some 15W-50 Mobile 1 in the engine. Suck all the fuel from the tank and new midgrade or premium fuel in it and see how it does.
Then make sure if it is bad enough to mess with it and exactly where it is coming from.
What you described sounds like the back seal. So outer cover, clutch hub and compensator with primary chain and inner cover need to come off. Do not pull all that unless you really need to.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-12-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-12-2018 | 11:44 AM
99DWG
|
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Good chance sitting, a little corrision on the main shaft where it comes thru may have nicked the seal. Unless you had planned on pulling the primary cover, just ignore it for now.
Throw some new Harley's Formula+ in the transmission and primary. Some 15W-50 Mobile 1 in the engine. Suck all the fuel from the tank and new midgrade or premium fuel in it and see how it does.
Then make sure if it is bad enough to mess with it and exactly where it is coming from.
What you described sounds like the back seal. So outer cover, clutch hub and compensator with primary chain and inner cover need to come off. Do not pull all that unless you really need to.
i have the bike running (ill post a log of everything ive had to fix) and im tackling this issue next. I have not changed the primary oil yet but will soon. Would putting a thicker oil in the primary that what is recommended help with this issue? If so what is advisable? Thanks!

Old 02-12-2018 | 11:54 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You are not going to cure the leak by using any type lube or additive.

Nothing catastrophic is going on, I agree with the previous posters, no problem riding this way for a while.

It really doesn`t matter where the leak is coming from, because if you decide to fix it you will be removing the inner and outer primary cover and at that point you might as well replace all seals in that area.

Old 02-12-2018 | 06:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

C
Originally Posted by 99DWG

i have the bike running (ill post a log of everything ive had to fix) and im tackling this issue next. I have not changed the primary oil yet but will soon. Would putting a thicker oil in the primary that what is recommended help with this issue? If so what is advisable? Thanks!
Use what is recommended by Harley and you won't go wrong. Use nondetergent gear oil Formula +. The clutch would not like thicker.
I am sure if you were not keeping it that you could put one of those witches brew sealers that you can get for power steering or automatic transmission will soften that input seal for a while. Then replace oil with proper fluid.
What concerns me is just how soft it will make it and you may suddenly have a huge leak.
I have three different grades of Dupont silcon grease. All the tubes are green. One is a o-ring lubricant, one is a o-ring softer for static o-ring seal applications and the other is a dialectic. I was not paying attention when rebuilding a Moen kitchen faucet and I lube all the o-ring with that softener. Within a month, you could hardly turn the faucet. Pulled it apart and the o-rings where like soft rubber bands and 30% bigger.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2023 | 07:27 AM
Underwoodfarms
Stage I
Default Same issue here

Originally Posted by 99DWG
I have a 99 dyna wide glide that sat in a shed for 5 years. I am in the process of restoring it. When I first got it, i moved it some and it did not leak oil from the primary. After going through all the gears and moving the bike back and forth to free up any possible stuck clutch plates, the primary has started to leak. It appears it’s coming from somewhere high behind the primary cover and leaking down, forming a drip on the drain plug. I have primary oil from harley but have not changed it yet. Is there an additive i can add to possibly help with the leak? Im hopeful that once i get some heat into the bike from riding it, maybe the seal will swell some and it will leak less or stop completely. Thanks!!
I have a 2005 super glide same exact issue. It sat for the year started riding it with the same fluid noticed a small drip of fluid on the bike building up at the drain plug. Thought it was the derby cover leaking for a while then to discover that it appears that it’s coming from behind the primary up by where the belt drive is

Quick Reply: Oil leak from primary