Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner Seat vs. Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018 | 06:43 AM
Brsblls
|
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Default Sundowner Seat vs. Touring Bike

Love my '08 Low Rider. Wife says she would go on longer trips if seat was more comfy. She suggested a touring model. Anyone have experience with a passenger and a sundowner seat on a dyna? Thinking I might try that first before trading the bike.

Old 02-11-2018 | 07:46 AM
WMX124
Road Captain

I have a sundowner seat for my street bob. Used it for one bike week trip and swore I'd never use it again. It's significantly more comfortable for the passenger but it looks so out of place. In my opinion, if you want your wife to ride more, go for the touring bike. You'll both be more comfortable.

Old 02-11-2018 | 07:50 AM
kberger
Cruiser

I have an 06 Lowrider bought new. Didn't think my wife would be into the bike thing but turns out she likes it very much. So I got a Sundowner and changed out the passenger pegs to wider mini boards and she said it was a great improvement. I personally don't like the look of the Sundowner on the Dyna so I would swap it out when we were going on a longer ride. Fast forward to 15 and we went to Sturgis for our 30th Anniversary. We flew out and rented a Streetglide. Put a thousand miles on the rental in a week and she was hooked. We came home and bought a new Roadglide a couple weeks later. She has not been back on the Dyna. Still have the Sundowner for the Dyna if you are interested.

The following users liked this post:
Brsblls (02-16-2018)
Old 02-11-2018 | 08:12 AM
Tomahawk309
Tourer

The sundowner is a sweet seat for both, but it is ugly as sin. I want to get another one but it is so comfortable its hard to justify.

Old 02-11-2018 | 08:21 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member

Get a touring bike. I went from beloved low rider to road king 14 yrs ago for the wife. It’s not just the seat. Had a Corbin seat on the low rider, then test drove a 2004 road king with stock seat that sucks for the passenger. She said the road king with **** seat was way better than low rider with good seat. The seating position, where legs and feet are relative to the but, is much better for the passenger on the road king and other touring bikes.

You’ll love the road king.

Last edited by Fullbore55; 02-11-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Brsblls (02-16-2018)
Old 02-11-2018 | 09:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Wife and I toured on my FXDXT with sundowner, big backrest and passenger floorboards. Unfortunately; the FLH's easily still beat that for passenger comfort. She now rides her own FXDL with a Mustang solo and I have an FXDF. We both tried the FLH's and found them way too ponderous. Added bonus of two Dyna's is lot's of cargo space. BTW, we also tried a BMW R1200RT two up for a week in Italy. Don't do that.....you may defect; we came close until we each bought new Dyna's

Old 02-11-2018 | 03:12 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Talking Opinions vary but...

I cannot imagine a more comfortable seat than my Sundowner. At age 65 I put in an 18.5 hour, 1,071 mile Iron Butt and got off feeling great. My bride rides with me often and can't say enough good things about how comfortable she is on the Sundowner. We routinely do 400+ mile days without complaint.

Some folks here maintain they are ugly but I cannot understand why. The more you ride them the more beautiful they get. Check my sig pic and make up your own mind. Perhaps my view is more than a little biased due to the comfort it imparts to my ***.

Since my Dyna Super Glide with the Sundowner is so comfortable, has Leather Lyke bags/Topcase to go along with the Memphis Shades Batwing fairing it actually makes a very nice touring bike... that only weighs 700# and eats up the twisties.

Brsblls (02-16-2018)
Old 02-11-2018 | 03:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Went to a Sundowner seat on my 02 SuperGlide when we set the bike up for "touring", bags and windshield, also put the curved back pad on the sissy bar. Went to upstate NY and back. The only problem was the wife's sciatic nerve. Does your HD dealer have a loaner seat to try out. We eventually went full touring bike for the extra room/storage.

Old 02-11-2018 | 03:52 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master

My wife and I loved the Sundowner on our WG. We did a lot of 500-600 mile days.

Old 02-11-2018 | 04:52 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

My FXD had a Sundowner when I got it and it just was not comfortable for me on longer rides so I got a Mustang Wide Vintage. Much more comfortable ride on my bony butt. The passenger seat is higher and seems more padded than the Sundowner. I do wish I had decided to go with the solo seat instead.

Quick Reply: Sundowner Seat vs. Touring Bike