Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:40 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Power Issues

2008 Street Bob. I've searched, but what fixed other bikes has not fixed mine. A couple weeks ago I fired up my bike in my basement garage no problem road it around my yard up to the main garage and as soon as I put it in neutral the lights flicked and the bike died. No headlight, idiot lights, fuel pump won't prime, no air ride controls, no turn signals or hazards. I turned the ignition off and back on. Lights came back on then flickered again then nothing. I disconnected the battery and reconnected and everything came back on. I dumped the air out of my shocks, switched to run and the fuel pump primed. Hit start and then instantly dead again and it hasn't come back since. Battery is good, even hooked the bike up to my truck and still nothing, not even lights. The weird thing is my speedo turns on, horn works and the center brake light when the brakes are pressed or squeezed, but that's it.

What I've done......
Bypassed the ignition switch, nothing.
TSSM is getting full battery voltage
Removed the power commander, nothing.
Removed the turn/brake/sig module, nothing.
Main fuse has power and is new, still nothing.
Replaced every single fuse with brand new ones, nothing.
Voltage checked the fuse terminals and they aren't getting any power with ign on and no power.
System Relay isn't getting ignition power voltage.
Checked all the ground, nothing.
Cleaned all the grounds, nothing.
I think that's it for now.

Seems like something just turned off and won't come back. The fuse block isn't getting ignition on power. Tomorrow I'll be sliding the tank back and check all the connectors in the backbone, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas. I'm hoping it's not my TSSM, but I've check everything I can that doesn't cost money first before I start dropping cash. My guess is the TSSM. It's not a fob or alarm because I don't have one. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-02-2018, 11:13 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Seems like an electrical issue isolated to the ignition/running power.

Does it start in gear?
Does it have a neautral safety switch on the kickstand?

Check your relays too and the connections. Sometimes it oxidizes on a connection and looks fine. Take a fine wire brush to them... after you disconnect the battery. Ive seen this be the issue for someone who rode somewhere and an hour later it didnt work. I can get details if you'd like.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:46 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Any help would be appreciated. All the fuses and relays have been cleaned and put on dielectric grease. The fuel pump doesn’t even turn on. Nothing turns on but the speedo.

Last edited by JaronB; 02-02-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:33 AM
SC07Bobber
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it throwing any codes?

check connections at front - stator/regulator connections. CKP connection.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:07 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

No codes at all. I pulled the stator and regulator connections and put dielectric grease on them too. If those were bad wouldn’t I still get lights??

Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM
SC07Bobber
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Not trying to pick on you but you mentioned that you hooked it up to your truck.... have you done this before? Not a good idea. Even though it’s 12v it’s still not a good idea. Can really screw up electrical system. I ask cause I wonder if you had done that recently, before your current issue ?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:33 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB

System Relay isn't getting ignition power voltage.
Follow the lines of this. Maybe there is a wire that's been damaged. If you can try bypassing the wire with a new one if you know where it connects. If you can't bypass it be sure you trace and physically touch and see all sides of the wire, it could be damaged on one side that you can't see and be rubbing on the frame or something causing a short. Probably want to disconnect your battery if you're tracing it like that.

It's not a total electrical problem like the battery would cause. So it has to be something further down the line that only effects it running and anything else branched into it past that point. Depending on where other accessories get their power they might be effects by the same problem in the line. So I'd guess it's going to be closer to the starting point than the relay.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:58 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Yea that’s next after I check the connectors in the backbone. I just hope it’s anything meltied in the wireloom because the looms all look brand new still and where I have traced has no breaks or signs of wear.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

In the wiring diagram in the manual the only thing that the fuel pump, light and signal is the ignition and the tssm. I hope it’s just an easy ignition wire somewhere. Lol