Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Buy a metric and ride the sh@t out of it during winter months...problem solved.
If only I had a place to park it!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

50 degrees... that’s practically snowmobiling weather! Sorry bro, I just forgot what it’s like living north.

Take the RG out and leave the LRS in the garage.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
I will NEVER do it it. For two reasons too. 1. You won’t get every last spec of salt off the bike. 2. It’s completely unsafe to ride on. You run the risk of wrecking on every damn turn. Not worth either of the risks
Unsafe to ride in, ok so we wait for a warm rain then it’s safe ? Still pretty sandy. So what now we wait for the street sweepers? at this rate my riding season would start in June. I got news for u, u can hit oil in July and have problems. There is always a risk of some kind. I don’t ride ***** to the walls in the rain or on winter roads, kick it down a notch. Tell me when do u consider it safe ???

Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,732 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Waiting to ride has got to suck.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
Unsafe to ride in, ok so we wait for a warm rain then it’s safe ? Still pretty sandy. So what now we wait for the street sweepers? at this rate my riding season would start in June. I got news for u, u can hit oil in July and have problems. There is always a risk of some kind. I don’t ride ***** to the walls in the rain or on winter roads, kick it down a notch. Tell me when do u consider it safe ???
No **** you can hit an oil patch in July smart ***. I got news for you. They are few and far between. UNLIKE the entire roads being covered in salt and sand in the winter months. You wanna ride your bike in this ****, be my guest.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,874 Likes on 4,002 Posts

I know the strong temptation to do it. Especially for those of us living in the northern states. I've done it but stopped 2 years ago.

Last edited by Ikelove; 01-20-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Off topic but the slickest **** has got to be that reflective glass they mix with the white stripe parallel to a stop sign! After stopping (for the most part) l seen what looked like someone lost a bag of concrete,chalk,overspray?? All I know is when I pulled out making a right....Holy Fishtail Batman!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

At the end of the day it’s your choice whether you ride or not. The roads are going to be crappy covered in salt, so if a half hour to an hour ride is worth 3 to 4 hours of cleaning time to you then I say go for it .... but only you can decide if it’s worth it. Asking people on an Internet forum what to do is not going to give you the answer....

Myself, as much as I want to ride, I also want to enjoy it, I get enough riding when it’s nice that I don’t need to get out in the winter.....winter is for wrenching

Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
At the end of the day it’s your choice whether you ride or not. The roads are going to be crappy covered in salt, so if a half hour to an hour ride is worth 3 to 4 hours of cleaning time to you then I say go for it .... but only you can decide if it’s worth it. Asking people on an Internet forum what to do is not going to give you the answer....

Myself, as much as I want to ride, I also want to enjoy it, I get enough riding when it’s nice that I don’t need to get out in the winter.....winter is for wrenching
I don’t think ever I asked if I should ride or not. I was only asking about the clean up. And regardless, I was out for three of the best hours I’ve had in a month and a half (except of course for those “special” moments with the girl)

While out I stopped at a marine supply store and picked up two bottles of Starbrite salt off. Came home, sprayed the crap out of the Road Glide while nice and high on the J&S, let it soak then used about 1 and a half tanks of my sprayer and got her nice and clean.

49 degs for most of those hours, and again, all in all a great day. Only feel stupid as I finished washing I realized I may very well go again before Football tomorrow lol. Shoulda waited. But luckily the second bottle will be there tomorrow.

I’m not getting any younger, so I’ll ride when I can. One day it’ll end.

Last edited by Mchad; 01-20-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Reading some of these responses, I have no idea why the hell some people get so damn angry over a topic like this.

My thinking is the lack of riding just puts ppl in a bad mood. I’m in a great mood after today

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (01-20-2018)

Quick Reply: riding in salt