Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in salt

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 03:40 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham UK
Similar issues here in UK. I finally took my Low Rider out last weekend. But I didn't just rinse it off afterwards, I covered it with FS365 to neutralise any salt; it's good because as it evaporates it leaves a concentrated layer of neutraliser in all those nooks and crannies. I've also been spending time this week wiping every spoke etc with more neutraliser; and I'm resisting the urge to ride today, with more salt on the roads. Having ridden once, I'm hoping I can cope without another ride for a few weeks, by which time I'm hoping there'll be less salt to deal with.

This is as close as I come to riding in the Salt .. Old Picture back when was a Fat *** but serves it purpose ..

Attached Thumbnails riding in salt-jaydaytona.jpg  
Old 01-20-2018, 04:42 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If the roads are wet and slushy with salt waves flowing no go. If roads are dry with light white film I am riding. My fxr does not have a lot of chrome it has the natural finish motor, all paint on the tins is solid and waxed, solid rims no spokes. Very easy access to clean. Washed with warm water and neutralizer. Did this for years with my sporster, no problems. I bought the fxr to ride whenever were ever. The wide glide sleep’s all winter.

Recently posted this and got( either they don’t salt in ct or you don’t care, omg.) aw heaven’s to f- in Betsy. Guess I am a bitch who can’t control emotion. Better than a fair weather rider bitch !! Lol.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

As touched on by Graham, salt is dumped by the truck load on the roads over here in the Winter. There are also many bright sunny-day opportunities to have a ride out in the Winter. I like to say "I show no weakness in Winter" despite my body telling me otherwise in the cold. With adequate Winter preparation salt should not bother you or the bike. Beginning of Winter I liberally spray the machine with ACF 50. Basically it's WD40 on steroids. Last time I sprayed the bike with ACF50 I inadvertently spilt some on the drive. Despite scrubbing the area down with detergent and boiling water from a kettle the rain still beads in that area. This protects the bike against the corrosion Winter can bring. Simply wash down after your ride with soapy water, rinse and wipe down, perhaps giving the bike a top up coating of ACF 50 once or twice throughout the Winter dependent on how often you take it out? Summer time the ACF 50 doesn't get used as dust and pollen sticks to it. WD40 and a wax based furniture polish comes out then.
Riding for pleasure doesn't mean you should be reluctant to dig the bike out in Winter. I find therapy and pleasure in the cleaning process too. Get it out and enjoy your day!

Last edited by K9F; 01-20-2018 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mchad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
It's not the dead sea or "salt" it's calcium chloride/magnesium chloride.,, nasty corrosive ****.
And then?
Your right, being a snively whining bitch with no control of emotion is easier, so ride baby ride.
Uhm, ok?

Sure it is,, should be enough to leave everything good and wet, don't worry about residual corrosive chemicals,, it never matters.
You dah man, ride-baby-ride.

Disclaimer: I only live in Minnesota,,
Originally Posted by Kcougar
Someone is a bit salty. I've been wondering the same myself OP. I know salt and brine can get everywhere but the weather is perfect in Charlotte right now. I don't do it often, but when I get back tmw I'll spend a good part of the day cleaning the bike. Worth it for sure.

Ignore him (that’s what everyone else does. This is just one of his a typical cun* on the rag responses, probably posted after a fifth of Walmart bourbon and a beating by his boyfriend).

Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 658 Posts

I wouldn’t add water to the salt.
If you want to ride it then ride it.
Wash it when you can do a good job.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Buy a metric and ride the sh@t out of it during winter months...problem solved.

Personally, my bike and Mustang stay parked/covered until April showers wash all the crap away.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:31 AM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I will NEVER do it it. For two reasons too. 1. You won’t get every last spec of salt off the bike. 2. It’s completely unsafe to ride on. You run the risk of wrecking on every damn turn. Not worth either of the risks

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,487 Posts

S100 Corrosion Protectant. And ride. Yes you have some cleaning to do.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Er9RLb]

Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
I will NEVER do it it. For two reasons too. 1. You won’t get every last spec of salt off the bike. 2. It’s completely unsafe to ride on. You run the risk of wrecking on every damn turn. Not worth either of the risks
Traction is actually a very good point. Stupid me didn’t consider that.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

The only way I would ride would be on some type of enduro. Our roads here in Michigan are covered in salt, pure white. We have some potholes that would probably send you *** over applecart. I'm not getting the bike out for an hour to spend hours getting the salt off and risking a bent rim.

Quick Reply: riding in salt