Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fob failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts
Default fob failure

With no snow for a while, and some rain followed by some dry if chilly weather, at last I was able to have a proper run out on the Low Rider this afternoon. What a great bike . I had to be back for an evening commitment, so after just over an hour I turned round and stopped to take a photo before heading home. It's a remote place with great views. But when I came to restart the bike, the alarm went off. It wouldn't acknowledge the fob, even if I held it by the dash, and asked for the pin. I was due to return to the dealer sometime to confirm the pin, so I only had his recent guess as to what it might be. I also had only skimmed that part of the manual, so I was more than a little concerned that I might be stuck on this remote road for hours, letting down those waiting for me . So, I tried as best I could with that guessed number and my vague recollection of the manual, and... at the third or fourth attempt, it started. I got home in time - praise the Lord!

As I rode home I wondered why the fob had suddenly failed; I'd thought the signal might start getting weaker rather than it just die. And then I realised that I'd been carrying the fob in an outer pocket of my jacket (so the signal wouldn't be masked), and so it hadn't benefited from any body warmth - in fact, it was exposed to a lot of very cold air. So, my guess is that the battery had got too cold to work properly. Certainly, when I got home and the fob had warmed up, the bike started without a problem.

Does that ring true? Or is something else going on? I'm new to this H-D fob thing, so feel free to state what you know, even if it seems obvious to you.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Graham UK
Tourer

Strangely, the camera on my phone also played up at that stop; but I did manage to extract one decent picture.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Change out the battery. At least it will give you some peace of mind....I do a new battery at the start of the riding season

The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Graham UK
Tourer

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Change out the battery. At least it will give you some peace of mind....I do a new battery at the start of the riding season
Thank you. Wise words indeed.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Hi Graham,

Was there a phone mast nearby or any other equipment that could kick out high levels of RF? I have heard of issues before under such circumstances. Seems with the camera acting up as well high RF emissions may have been the root cause? There is a spot in the Mendip Hills whereupon a mate had similar issues and the place being one of the highest points was awash with phone masts, coasted the bike downhill trying to bump start it and 2-300 yards away the bike started on the button.

Last edited by K9F; 01-14-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Graham UK (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 08:07 AM
Graham UK
Tourer

Originally Posted by K9F
Hi Graham,

Was there a phone mast nearby or any other equipment that could kick out high levels of RF? I have heard of issues before under such circumstances. Seems with the camera acting up as well high RF emissions may have been the root cause? There is a spot in the Mendip Hills whereupon a mate had similar issues and the place being one of the highest points was awash with phone masts, coasted the bike downhill trying to bump start it and 2-300 yards away the bike started on the button.
That's a good thought. I hadn't noticed a mast, but I'll have a look around next time I'm there.. It certainly was strange how both the phone and the fob played up, but then worked normally again when I got home.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Aliens flying over be careful, strange place is the UK, joking +1 on changing the batteries every year, and get good ones, not the cheap 2032 from Aldi or Tesco

Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

RF can be a culprit so can other HD Bikes, saw a situation where 5 of them wouldn't start out of 12 until they moved a little bit .. Dealerships usually buy their FOB's in Bulk and are usually not the best in quality .. Had to change my original FOB battery on several owned ..

Graham UK (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Change your fob battery regularly. Most fob problems are attributed to this. If you have a spare fob it also drains sitting in youe cupboard just as fast as your primary one cause they constantly emit a signal.

Graham UK (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,729 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Yes, RFI. Doesn't need to be a mast either. A transformer may do it. It's not just HD that has this problem. My C6Z06 and a friend's Z had a similar issue.

Found this out the "fun" way at BigBear Lake for lunch. (100 miles away.)

Mine started, his said, "No FOBS."

Thought we were going to have his towed to another location to start. Then, it suddenly started! Crazy. (And he's retired NAVY communications!)

Quick Reply: fob failure