Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Handlebar Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts
Default Internal Handlebar Wiring

I realize this is pretty basic, but I just don't have any experience with it...

What's the deal with internal wiring?

I'm about to order a new set of bars, and would love to clean things up a bit... My assumption is that bars setup up for internal wiring have a hole under each control area for the wires to enter, and a hole between the risers for wiring to exit, and you cut your wires somewhere, feed them through the bars, and then splice them back together somewhere (with a disconnect for bar removal).

I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything, but if I am... Please tell me!

Next question: I realize this may be different with different bars, but is the hole under the controls usually located pretty exactly, or is there some ability for adjustment? I'm asking because I think I may want to cut 1/2" to 3/4" off each end of the bars I want, and I'm worried that may render the wiring holes useless. Or, I may want to rotate the bars further in one direction or the other... Am I wrong? Would it be easier to order bars with no holes, and then drill my own once I know exactly how they'll sit?

Thanks for any clarity, I've never run wires through my bars before...

Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Well you're right except for the part about cutting the wires. You de pin the connectors, run the wiring, and re pin the connector. Take pics first and watch YouTube so you know how to de pin.

No, don't go cutting the bars down. Order the ones you want or leave them, but I wouldn't cut em. The hole between the risers should allow you to rotate them forward or back.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Notice the elongated "dimples" and pierced holes at the switch housing locations. That's typical. They're pretty forgiving of switch positioning. The wire bundle sits in the dimple so the housing can clear and there's usually plenty of slop with the bundle inside the housing so they can rotate quite a bit.

You should be able to depin and fish the wires without cutting. There is a connector for each side stuffed down in the backbone.

F86 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 PM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Just a tip: you can use a pull chain to feed through the bars - like the ones used for ceiling fans.

F86 (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SixDD
Just a tip: you can use a pull chain to feed through the bars - like the ones used for ceiling fans.
Since this came up, another option is to use weed whacker string, or you can use twine. I used twine twice and used a vacuum cleaner hose to run it through the bars.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Got it... Thanks, all! Depinning obviously makes way more sense than cutting and splicing, silly me! Chris, thanks for the pictures... There's definitely enough room for adjustment to address my concerns, at least on your Carlinis... I'm about to order a set of Flanders Cafe bars.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,395 Likes on 2,751 Posts

If you buy bars in a diameter greater then 1", they will have a step in them like the picture shown and will not allow you to shorten the bars. I drilled my own holes on a set of flat tracker bars from the MoCo after cutting about 3/4" off on each side. Worked just fine but they were a consistent dimension/diameter. Good luck.

F86 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

If you are installing apes or mini-apes you will need wiring extensions as well. They can be ordered with the connecting pins already on them and only need the heat shrink put on over the connections.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
If you are installing apes or mini-apes you will need wiring extensions as well. They can be ordered with the connecting pins already on them and only need the heat shrink put on over the connections.
Op- Might want to research that one before you spend the money as not all Dynas need extensions. I put 16s on my street Bob with no extensions. Same thing with my lrs, and my lrs had 5.5 inch drag bars stock. Unless you're goin with 19 inch apes, I think you'll be fine.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Op- Might want to research that one before you spend the money as not all Dynas need extensions. I put 16s on my street Bob with no extensions. Same thing with my lrs, and my lrs had 5.5 inch drag bars stock. Unless you're goin with 19 inch apes, I think you'll be fine.
Did you do internal wiring for those? Adding my 06 Low Rider went to a 12 inch mini-ape internally wired and required extensions.

Last edited by Jay Guild; 01-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Internal Handlebar Wiring