Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:16 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fork oil

who has changed the fork oil in a 06 dyna yet? I am having a shop do it dont feel comfy with doing it according to manual.gona put in heavier oil also to get rid of mushiness currently 23k on it

Old 06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fork oil

2006 FXDBI 10,000 miles - had my fork seals replaced under warranty. I went w/ Screamin' Eagle oil and am very happy with the results. Much more stable in corners at speed. I did sacrifice a little comfort but it's very happy when I'm carving the hills.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
waterman7474
Road Master

ORIGINAL: boogiewithtuck

2006 FXDBI 10,000 miles - had my fork seals replaced under warranty. I went w/ Screamin' Eagle oil and am very happy with the results. Much more stable in corners at speed. I did sacrifice a little comfort but it's very happy when I'm carving the hills.
i totally agree. i just did mine this weekend and the difference is remarkable. and as for doing it youself, it is VERY EASY. i was way worried about the spring poppin off and crushing my forhead or something but it wasn't bad at all. do it with a buddy and it's easy.

lift the front, pull off the front wheel, pull off the caliper, pull out the tubes, put them in a table vise with a towel at say a 45deg angle, screw them out a 1/4 inch or so and then lean into it with your hand by your chest and start unscrewing slowly with your palm. it will pop off a little but you'll almost be embarrased at how afraid you were when it finally pops off. then, GREAT TRICK, measure how much oil you pour out, then you know how much to put back in (and not have to mess with the crazy instructions) assuming you haven't lost that much from a busted seal. probably need 4 quarts (bout 1 and 1/2 per), and reverse. pump the brakes to cycle the shocks a for a few minutes around the house and your off and running.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:18 PM
vasser
Advanced

ORIGINAL: waterman7474

i totally agree. i just did mine this weekend and the difference is remarkable. and as for doing it youself, it is VERY EASY. i was way worried about the spring poppin off and crushing my forhead or something but it wasn't bad at all. do it with a buddy and it's easy.

lift the front, pull off the front wheel, pull off the caliper, pull out the tubes, put them in a table vise with a towel at say a 45deg angle, screw them out a 1/4 inch or so and then lean into it with your hand by your chest and start unscrewing slowly with your palm. it will pop off a little but you'll almost be embarrased at how afraid you were when it finally pops off. then, GREAT TRICK, measure how much oil you pour out, then you know how much to put back in (and not have to mess with the crazy instructions) assuming you haven't lost that much from a busted seal. probably need 4 quarts (bout 1 and 1/2 per), and reverse. pump the brakes to cycle the shocks a for a few minutes around the house and your off and running.
Much too much work to remove the tubes when it can be done on the bike as long as the front end is raised off the floor. I think you mean PINTS, not quarts of fork oil and I would refill with the recommended ounces vice measuring what came out because what came out may not have been the correct amount to begin with.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
waterman7474
Road Master

ORIGINAL: vasser

Much too much work to remove the tubes when it can be done on the bike as long as the front end is raised off the floor.
true....except how are you gonna get the oil out...06 and up doesn't have the drain.

I think you mean PINTS, not quarts of fork oil and I would refill with the recommended ounces vice measuring what came out because what came out may not have been the correct amount to begin with.
true, i forgot the bottles were smaller. and i was probably incorrect in assuming that the factory would do it right, they have been known to screw up.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I use Amsoil (which is tough for me since I put Redline in all the other holes)

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: vasser

Much too much work to remove the tubes when it can be done on the bike as long as the front end is raised off the floor.
true....except how are you gonna get the oil out...06 and up doesn't have the drain.

I think you mean PINTS, not quarts of fork oil and I would refill with the recommended ounces vice measuring what came out because what came out may not have been the correct amount to begin with.
true, i forgot the bottles were smaller. and i was probably incorrect in assuming that the factory would do it right, they have been known to screw up.
Hey Waterman,

I think you were supposed to flip your bike over to drain the oil - I muss' a missed dat step in the manual too!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,571 Likes on 2,464 Posts

are you kidding me ? there are no drain screws at the bottom of the fork tubes? boy am i glad i got those antiques hangin out in the garage ( an 02 and an 05 dyna's). i guess those factory boys don't the owners wrenchin' the hardware.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok heres a question what are the 2 bolts in bottom of forks that are hexed up under the axle for?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

Seat pipe screws, they hold the fork tubes in the sliders via the seat pipes. Page 2-61 in the 07 manual.