Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Internally Wired Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:45 PM
jcmusic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Internally Wired Bars

I want to get some internally wired bars but, don't know which ones to get. I normally just cruise in the city once in a while long distance maybe an hour or two, I have the stock Buckhorns now and I have to lean forward too far for my liking. So I want something that will allow me to lean back some, adivce ideas???

Old 12-19-2017, 08:33 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 194 Posts

Bars are such a personal choice, best to sit on different bikes and see what works for you. As for wiring, you can run your stock wires internally yourself later, it’s almost plug and play

Old 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe you could swap risers instead. Get something with a couple inches of pullback.

If you're set on getting bars, determine the measurements of yours (rise, width, pullback) and use that to gauge potential replacements. There are a million different bar bends out there. Also, if you haven't already, try rotating your bars back a little bit.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM
jcmusic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I have already changed the risers and pulled them back some, just too for forward for me I want to lean back some. I like some of the apes but don't want to go too high for fear of wind issues...

Old 12-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmusic
yes I have already changed the risers and pulled them back some, just too for forward for me I want to lean back some. I like some of the apes but don't want to go too high for fear of wind issues...
I went with 16 el diabalo apes and love em. I wouldn't go any higher but I think you'd be good with 14s. I have a set for sale I just had powdercoated black that I never ended up using. Pm me if you're interested.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:44 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is a good link all about how to select your bars. I would definitely recommend wild1bars they are beautiful.

http://wild1inc.com/handlebars101

I like the wrist angle of drag bars, so I put them on everything. If you want to be more in line with the current "style" most people go with T bars.

Another consideration is whether or not you have to lengthen your cables and wires. If you go with something close to stock (like drag bars) than no lengthening is required.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:48 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

BTW wiring the internal bars is easy. Just get $5 worth of chain from lowes, they practically wire themselves.

Don't remember the exact size I have for doing this but 5' of something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...e-Foot/4222671

Old 12-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
BTW wiring the internal bars is easy. Just get $5 worth of chain from lowes, they practically wire themselves.

Don't remember the exact size I have for doing this but 5' of something like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...e-Foot/4222671
"Easy" my ***!! Lol running all the wiring on my lrs with heated grips was enough to make me join the Amish (they weren't currently accepting applications). Anyway my street Bob was easy but a good trick I learned was to tape off the holes in the bars, grab some good strong twine, and use the hose from a vacuum to suck the twins right through. Then every harness I pulled through, I ran another section of twine for the next harness. It's a good idea to run one extra length of twine through just in case, then just pull it through if you don't use it. If you have a lot of wiring, or 90 degree angles on your bike, try rubbing a little Vaseline on the harness. Makes a world of difference. Also read any and all tricks for running wiring cause it took me a good 3 hours of fighting with it before I thought of the vacuum cleaner idea. then I'm all excited to post and tell everybody about it only to find out it's been a common, old school trick for decades.

The following users liked this post:
betho61 (12-23-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

My dad was a union industrial/commercial electrician. I helped a lot. Most all of their wire pulls started with a blower or vacuum, pipe mouse (rabbit, piston) and nylon pulling line/rope. Good lube was a must. Beware of vaseline, tho. Some insulations/jackets will break down over time with it. Silicone or soap is safer. We used specialty pulling lube.

For short simple runs like my drag bars or apes I just use welding rod or a coat hanger. Bend the end back on itself to create a little round-tipped hook so it doesn't hang up on welds/burrs/bends. Loop the wire thru the hook and tape everything smooth. Pull back. For T bars and such, the vacuum is probably best.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
My dad was a union industrial/commercial electrician. I helped a lot. Most all of their wire pulls started with a blower or vacuum.
That's how I got the vacuum idea. Me and the ol were in the living room while I did it so I was thinking out loud and said maybe an air gun then as soon as I said it it was like no use a vacuum. Sure as **** it worked instantly. Her jaw dropped and after 3 hours of yelling I finally got it, did a cart wheel, and got my bars on.

Quick Reply: Which Internally Wired Bars