Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Forward Controls To Mid Controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017 | 06:27 AM
Mac.
|
Stage IV
Default Swapping Forward Controls To Mid Controls

I was hoping I could get a list of everything I'll need, like primary oil and a primary gasket, but what else? Every bit of info will help cause this will be the first time working on any bike other than swapping a battery. Also, I think the shift shaft is still there, so will I even have to take the primary off? If there's a how-to guide or YouTube video - link it too, because I couldn't find it in my searches. 1994 Dyna Low rider.

The following users liked this post:
Tattoorus (01-28-2021)
Old 12-18-2017 | 08:48 AM
wlcjack
Intermediate

If your shift shaft is there & in good shape the job is very easy. If the shaft is missing or damaged you do need to pull the primary case which involves removing the clutch, starter drive & compensating sprocket - this might not be a wise first time operation.

If the shift shaft is in place you will need;
Right side peg mount with brake pedal, nut & washer
Brake actuation rod
Foot peg - possibly the forward peg will do
Left side peg mount
Foot peg - again the forward peg may do
Shifter lever with peg - dog leg shaped - some forward kits used the OEM lever
Shifter to transmission link - likely 5" long
There may be plastic plugs in the mount holes on the frame - remove carefully & use to fill the forward holes.
4 socket head cap screws & lock washers - mounts to frame - dealer items a good idea
If your shift shaft is still there then the transmission shift lever is likely original - if it is a long one it will need to be replaced.

If your shift shaft is not useable you will need all of the above plus;
Gasket kit with seals
Primary chain inspection cover - with shifter hole
Shifter tube - the aftermarket aluminum one is good
Possibly the transmission lever - some forward kits have a longer lever

If you Google "Ronnie's Harley Davidson Parts" you will find a good catalog for your individual model - from that you can get the part numbers for all of the above.

Some suggested methods of holding the sprockets to undo the 150 ft/lb torque on the sprocket nut can break the case.
Be careful!

Jack

The following 3 users liked this post by wlcjack:
97stalker (12-20-2022), Mac. (12-18-2017), NFZ (01-12-2023)
Old 12-18-2017 | 11:23 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member

I did a Thread on this mod, should help:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mids-mod.html

Old 12-18-2017 | 11:52 AM
Cubby89
Tourer

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I did a Thread on this mod, should help:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-mids-mod.html
I read and reread this thread multiple times before doing my conversion of forwards to mids, helped MASSIVELY. Also made sure I had my repair manual there and had read over everything in it a few times.

I had everything I needed except a torque wrench that could do the primary cover bolts and it took me around 7 hours to do with some beer, food, and torque wrench buying breaks in there. I didn't have the shift shaft in place so I had take my whole primary off. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2022 | 04:26 PM
JarHead43
Stage II
Default 2010 Dyan FatBob

I am looking for a Kit - to convert the front controls to Mid - I have seen folks doing it but no parts listed etc - Thanks for you help

Old 12-10-2022 | 07:17 PM
damager1
Tourer

Hi my friend - I did this same job last spring... it was quite an adventure, but certainly do-able.

I actually followed a video on YouTube of a guy that did the same operation. I'll see if I can dig that thread up for you... I think I remember listing out all the parts too.

Old 12-10-2022 | 07:30 PM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by JarHead43
I am looking for a Kit - to convert the front controls to Mid - I have seen folks doing it but no parts listed etc - Thanks for you help
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ontrols-3.html
Here you go man... all the info you could ever need!

The following 2 users liked this post by damager1:
fat bastard 68 (01-10-2023), JarHead43 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022 | 09:42 AM
JarHead43
Stage II

Originally Posted by damager1
Hi my friend - I did this same job last spring... it was quite an adventure, but certainly do-able.

I actually followed a video on YouTube of a guy that did the same operation. I'll see if I can dig that thread up for you... I think I remember listing out all the parts too.
Thanks - may I ask about how much did it run you
Bill

Old 12-20-2022 | 09:46 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Make sure you have a long set of torx socket to remove the right side peg. When I bought my bike, that peg was loose, apparently because whoever installed the forwards on my bike didn't realize that his socket wasn't long enough to tighten the bolt.

Old 12-20-2022 | 11:44 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

There's a Reduced Reach kit for Forward Controls, it brings them a bit closer. It was perfect for me.

Quick Reply: Swapping Forward Controls To Mid Controls