Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshafts 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Camshafts 101

Can anyone give me a clear explanation and guide to upgrading cams? I see various listings for sale and see where it lists specs, but I'm not sure how they differ and their effects vs. stock configuration. For example, I'm running stage 1 - 103cu. in with exhaust, how would I know what else would need to be done to run right with Woods 555 cams? Learn me here please!

Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Ok this is gonna take a lot of reading on your part. I'm not very good at this so I'm gonna try my best. choose cams based on your particular riding style, aggressive, solo, highway, what rpm range you ride in the most, etc. keep in mind where you want your highest hp/tq. For me, the se259e on my 117 comes on around 3k-3500. You should also consider any future mods like big bore kits, headwork, compression ratio etc.

read as many reviews and threads as you can of people with similar mods. There's some helpful videos on YouTube as well. There should also be a few threads on here about can choice selection. It's not as complicated as it sounds, but the more you educate yourself, the better equipped you'll be to make a decision. It's also a good idea to look at dyno charts and compare them to your current setup.

Dont nt go too crazy with lift either unless you're doing headwork with it. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable regulars will chime in on this one. Hope this helps

Old 12-11-2017, 11:37 AM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Are you asking about a guide to install them? Or are you asking which cams to get? There's youtube videos on upgrading cams. If youre asking which cam you should get, you need to figure out where you want the power and go with the ones that match your riding style. Typically the larger the cam, the more it moves the powerband to the top end/high RPM range. One thing I had to look at when I picked out cams was the maximum lift my valve springs could handle. I'm not sure what the max lift the springs on a 103 can handle but either pick a cam that doesn't exceed the max lift, or upgrade springs that can handle a bigger set of cams if that's what you want.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM
moose545
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FLASH1970
Are you asking about a guide to install them? Or are you asking which cams to get? There's youtube videos on upgrading cams. If youre asking which cam you should get, you need to figure out where you want the power and go with the ones that match your riding style. Typically the larger the cam, the more it moves the powerband to the top end/high RPM range. One thing I had to look at when I picked out cams was the maximum lift my valve springs could handle. I'm not sure what the max lift the springs on a 103 can handle but either pick a cam that doesn't exceed the max lift, or upgrade springs that can handle a bigger set of cams if that's what you want.
Let's take these Woods 555s for example, looking here it mentions more torque down low, but I want a gain in seat of the pants feel w/o anything serious motorwise like head work etc.
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-208596...camshafts.html

When you say the larger the cam, what are you referring to specs wise? I'll check out some YT vids too, and read my **** off. I'd like replace anything internal that is removed in the process with stronger components, just have zero idea what that is, obviously whatevers in the kits but still.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,168 Likes on 1,162 Posts

Originally Posted by moose545
When you say the larger the cam, what are you referring to specs wise?
http://protwin.com/camfaq.aspx

Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 PM
moose545
Road Captain

Great info thanks, will read this evening. Would these cams be good all-around? I want to retain good drivability and gain response and power; if that's possible~

Old 12-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Moose545,

DO NOT OVERCAM!!

Do you want to go further than a cam only swap? If so, then you need to select the cam based on the engine modifications and the style of riding that you do. If to do not want to go into motor then pick a cam based on maximizing the stock compression. A Woods 555 is pushing it for stock. Look to a Woods 222 or an Andrews 48h first. Woods cams are pretty expensive for what they are. Not that they are bad cams at all, just better bang for the buck with Andrews

Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,677 Likes on 2,117 Posts

there is a good write up about cams in the engine mechanical forum section.
I did hours of reading and research before finally deciding on the woods 222, plus found a good price on a used set of them.
also if you do not have a tuner, that would be a good idea to pick up one when doing cams.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 12-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

A good tuner should be MANDATORY with a cam swap.

The following users liked this post:
SarcastrophyIX (02-02-2018)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:52 AM
moose545
Road Captain

Thanks for the heads up, yes to cams and associated parts only, nothing more. I have the old orange SESTP but think V&H or FuelMoto would be a better and more user friendly experience probably. Meanwhile I'll pick a new stage1 air intake in the process prior and decide on the tuner then keep my eyes peeled for a used set possibly.

Can you explain the "too big/overcam" part for stock compression, using the numbers when shopping cams?

Quick Reply: Camshafts 101