Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshafts 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:08 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Just because you change cams, you do not have to have a dyno tune.

Yes, that may be the best for a major engine upgrade. However, I and many others have been very satisfied with products like the V&H FP3 Auto Tune module.

For only $300, I have a fantastically running engine on par with those I've spent 3 times as much on for a dyno tune.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
Just because you change cams, you do not have to have a dyno tune.

Yes, that may be the best for a major engine upgrade. However, I and many others have been very satisfied with products like the V&H FP3 Auto Tune module.

For only $300, I have a fantastically running engine on par with those I've spent 3 times as much on for a dyno tune.

this is only my opinion so no offense to leafman but for an extra 100 bucks you can get a Powervision from fuel moto and they'll give you a tune specific for your can choice and other upgrades. After that you run a couple autotune sessions (it's easy, don't let that scare you off) and you'll have that thing running perfect.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by moose545
Can you explain the "too big/overcam" part for stock compression, using the numbers when shopping cams?
A cam needs to be chosen based on the riders style and power needs/wants, but more importantly a cam needs to be chosen based on rest of the motor and the compression of the motor. You can't just throw a cam in the bike and expect it to perform. Using a cam that is too large for a stock motor or designed for a different compression ratio will actually take you a step backward. Your stock compression is about 9.8-1 and using a cam that is designed to work at 11-1 will ruin your bottom end. Conversely, using a cam that is designed for stock compression will build much too high of pressures within the motor if its being run at 11-1. Talk with a builder and plan out your motor if you are going to open it up for upgrades and make sure that all the components will work correctly together.

There are a handful of great stock upgrade cams to choose from. In a stock motor these are these are the cams that I would choose from:
Andrews 48h
Andrews 54
S&S 551
SE255

Just as a rule of thumb. Torque is what makes these motors. Torque is what gets the bike down the road. Torque is the power that you feel when twisting the throttle. Buy a cam that builds torque early and carries it out as far as possible.

If you want speed and horsepower, buy a crotch rocket.

And ABSOLUTELY plan to either use a tuner such as a Power Vision or a TTS that has a GOOD basemap for your chosen cam and will allow you to run a few auto tune sessions, or take the bike directly to a dyno tuner. DO NOT just plug in some map and call it good. Thats a good way to ruin a motor.

Last edited by Desertwndrr; 12-12-2017 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chicago Ken (01-29-2018)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertwndrr
A cam needs to be chosen based on the riders style and power needs/wants, but more importantly a cam needs to be chosen based on rest of the motor and the compression of the motor. You can't just throw a cam in the bike and expect it to perform. Using a cam that is too large for a stock motor or designed for a different compression ratio will actually take you a step backward. Your stock compression is about 9.8-1 and using a cam that is designed to work at 11-1 will ruin your bottom end. Conversely, using a cam that is designed for stock compression will build much too high of pressures within the motor if its being run at 11-1. Talk with a builder and plan out your motor if you are going to open it up for upgrades and make sure that all the components will work correctly together.

There are a handful of great stock upgrade cams to choose from. In a stock motor these are these are the cams that I would choose from:
Andrews 48h
Andrews 54
S&S 551
SE255

Just as a rule of thumb. Torque is what makes these motors. Torque is what gets the bike down the road. Torque is the power that you feel when twisting the throttle. Buy a cam that builds torque early and carries it out as far as possible.

If you want speed and horsepower, buy a crotch rocket.

And ABSOLUTELY plan to either use a tuner such as a Power Vision or a TTS that has a GOOD basemap for your chosen cam and will allow you to run a few auto tune sessions, or take the bike directly to a dyno tuner. DO NOT just plug in some map and call it good. Thats a good way to ruin a motor.
Great list of cams for a bagger!!

Old 12-12-2017, 10:49 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Email or call the techs at woods/andrews/s&s/etc and tell them all your pertinent info. They'll have recommendations ready and waiting.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Durham man
Great list of cams for a bagger!!
Its a great list of cams for a VTwin. If you start venturing outside of cams in that range then you start to need to add compression for them to run right. Any one of those cams will get it done through 5000rpm where the vast majority of bikes run. I might not be able to outrun somebody on an open road at full throttle top end, but I guarantee you that I can outrun somebody off the line and through the curves. Its much more enjoyable in the curves rolling in and out of the throttle than it is shifting. They may often be referred to as Bagger cams, but they are all right at home in a lighter Dyna.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Didn't see andrews 57h 's mentioned anywhere, they were supposedly designed for the 103. You asked about other things you might want to replace whole in there, cam bearings, lifters, you might need adjustable pushrods depending on the base circle of your new cams and check out the cam chain tensioner shoes...they should be fine but you're there already. Also a good intake ,exhaust and a good tuner...don't go and spend all that cash then cheap out on the tuner...you'll hate yourself lol. I hate to be the one to say it but if you're going to do it yourself a factory service manual will be priceless. Oh and one more thing...don't take anything you read as fact ,even my b.s., do your own research from multiple sources.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks to all, great info here and plenty to chew on until the money fairy decides to make a stop! I'm going to read up on basics, talk to and research vendor info and watch some YouTube videos on all those mentioned. Tuner-wise I think it's hands down the PowerVision is the front-runner at this point, the V&H FP3 after with maps and FuelMoto support for both.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
this is only my opinion so no offense to leafman but for an extra 100 bucks you can get a Powervision from fuel moto and they'll give you a tune specific for your can choice and other upgrades. After that you run a couple autotune sessions (it's easy, don't let that scare you off) and you'll have that thing running perfect.
Thank you, Nick.

Yes, as I said, "products like that."

The description of the $100 more expensive "Powervision" sounds very similar to the V&H FP3.

Point is, you do not always have to spring for a full dyno tune.

A great running engine can be had from these tuning modules.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:26 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

There is a substantial.....and I mean substantial difference between a tuner such as the powervision and tts vs the Fuelpak

Spend the money and buy a real tuner.

Quick Reply: Camshafts 101