Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob for 6'1 male

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:53 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallenthornton
After much deliberation, I went to the dealership today and looked at all the bikes on display and settled on the street bob. I’m waiting to get the official quote and then we can begin to negotiate the price. I opted for ABS, but can’t decide on purchasing the warranty. The bike comes with 2 year standard, but I’m being quoted about $2,000.00 for additional 5 years which includes wheels and tires. Is that worth it? Our riding season is relatively short here in Alaska.
Awesome!

As far as the warranty goes, might be better off asking that question in the General forum section. Lot more people with experience with them.

If you have a short riding season your years are going to go by quicker than your miles. Not sure how much riding you're looking to do, but if you only get in 1,000 miles a year, in 7 years you're at 7,000 miles on your bike. It shouldn't need anything if it's been up kept. Heck even the tires they put on these things last longer than that.

Now, if you're doing 5,000 miles a year, then you're at 35,000 miles in 7 years. Then more things might be going out on you, the real question would be is if the warranty covers wear on a part, that I don't know about.

Another thing to consider is your plans for it. A warranty does no good if you modify all the parts under it. How much you can change and still not effect the warranty seems to come down to the dealers mood. Even if you have a case it can be a battle.

If it was me, well I'm used to working on old vehicles (50s and 60s). This is actually my first new anything. It's been nice having a warranty though. If you're using the bike the first few years should let you know on any issues that it might have, and I believe you can still buy an extended warranty as long as your original one is still active (but don't quote me on that). If that's the case you could buy it in just short of 2 years if you feel you need it. I've heard of people just putting the money aside in savings in case something does happen and if not you still have the money.

The General forum though will give you better answers.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM
EggDropX
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sallenthornton
Hello, recently I decided that this was the year that I was going to buy my first Harley. I have always said that I would buy the street bob when I decided to pull the trigger. I love the look. I love the style. But after sitting on it, my knees were up past the tank. The dealer mentioned forward controls, but I'm not convinced. Should I look at the lowrider? Would that be a better fit?
I’m 6 foot 1 and fit just fine on my 2014 street bob. I’m gone multiple on cross country rides without issue. Forward controls are a essential, I also changed the air intake to a slimmer model, RSD blunt power. I put flip down foot pegs where the mid controls used to be for another spot to put my feet on long rides.

The following users liked this post:
Sallenthornton (12-14-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 11:05 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm 6'3 " and my youngest son is 6'6". We tour with them and he has over 40K on his 2006 and I have 18K ON MY 13. Both have the mids. My son does have the forward foot rests for occasional use.

I see no issue with the Street Bob and tall riders.

That's him sitting on his brothers new RT1200T. We met up at the Best Western in Butte, Mont. for the ride to the Arctic Circle. The ride on the Street Bob was over 9K in 14 days from Chicago and back. He has ammo cans for saddlebags.

He sits as tall as his 5'11" older brother does standing. My 08 Buell Ulysses XB12XT is on the left.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sallenthornton (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm 6'7"

Have done decent miles on a Street Bob (With forwards) and a Fat Bob.

Forwards are a must, but I have no desire to put on extended forwards because with the normal forwards I can put my feet in several positions.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:17 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
I'm 6' and run forwards on my Street Bob. Love them. I also run a very different setup as I combine the forwards with drag bars on 1" risers. Remember that the Lowrider and Street Bob are the same frame, with the differences between the two primarily cosmetic. What that means is that a Lowrider with forwards will fit the same as a Street Bob with forwards, as long as they are both running the same bars.
I was considering going to the drag bars, but was afraid they would be too close and might hit the tank on tight turns. Good to know that's not true, but I'm not sure I want to be stretched so far forward with my arms, either. Think I would prefer about a 4-5" rise/pullback instead, like my last bike had. PO had taken off the drag bars and installed 10-12" apes, but he sold off the taller risers before I picked up the bike, and I think the apes are hurting my shoulder (starting to have rotator cuff issues since getting the bike).

For the OP, I think you may want to go with forward controls. However, since there appear to be quite a few people wanting to change from forwards to mids, you may be able to swap your mids for someone else's forwards, like I did, though OP had an extra set of mids, which I left installed to use for change in foot position on longer rides.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Chainsawjames
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m 6’2. With forward controls and 12” Z bars on my 14’ street bob, I’m super comfortable.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:38 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 820 Posts

I'm also 6'1", and had 2" risers on the stock bars and forward controls. Was perfect for me. But keep in mind, I have a long torso and shorter legs (32" inseam). The 4th pic that Captain Awesome posted closely resembled how I sat on my "Bob"...

Old 12-22-2017, 09:02 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Get bike, ride,, customize it to your likings and be happy..