Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Mist

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM
BRONSON
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Mist

I recently replaced the exhaust on my '06 FXD35. Replaced the stock slip-ons with a pair of Cycle Shack - MS129 Bologna Cut slip-ons. Ahhhhhh...now that sounds better. Also, replaced stock air-filter with a SE Stage 1 Hi-Flow kit and had the bike re-calibrated via a H-D Download. ALL GOOD!!!

It's been roughly 3weeks. I was detail cleaning (not washing) the bike yesterday and noticed a misting of exhaust near the staggered ends, on the rear tire rim, brake disc, etc. Not a whole bunch...but enough to make me wonder what's up. After cleaning these areas and bike...I started it up...held a clean cloth near the exhaust tips...and sure enough exhaust misting was present.I never noticed it when the exhaust was first replaced...just most recently. I also noticed that after cleaning inside the exhaust tip...it does not take long for the exhaust to build up.

Started the bike this morning to drive to work. Placed the cloth near the exhaust tips...no misting. Arrived at work...approx. 3mi....checked the areas...and noticed some exhaust misting. Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Now I'm thinking a couple things:

1) Either the staggered exhaust...combined with the bologna slash cut is prompting the exhaust mist to become more apparent on the machine.

2) Could there be a problem with the fuel burn off....loading up? Possibly not cause the bike runs great. Wondering if something is a miss w/ the EFI.? Or, maybe this is some condensation?

3) Do I need to contact the dealer and have them take a look at it?

I'm leaning towards; the bike is mechanically OK...the type of exhaust cut...combined w/ the dual staggered pipes....are prompting the exhaust mist to become more apparent...as opposed to the stock tapered cuts. Just gonna have to buy more cleaning cloths..lol.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

BRONSON

Old 06-15-2007, 11:21 AM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Mist

My guess is that the download fattened up the mixture and the mist that you are describing is unburned fuel. Typically, that is the price you pay for running cooler by mixture control.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condensation is now makeing it's out of the open mufflers... Dought it's fuel .

Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Bassman
Road Master

Are you sure it is not one of those water misting systems that help keep the riders behind you cooler

Old 06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Dr_J
Cruiser

Could be unburnt fuel or condensation...3 miles is not really that far to test....what about a 30 mile trip etc...do you see the misting then? If so it's not condensation at that point, most likely unburnt fuel....do you get backfires much?

Also, if it's fuel...you should be able to run your finger over it and it will smell like...fuel....if it's clear and has virtually no smell...condensation...

Old 06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
BRONSON
3rd Gear

Hmmm...thanks jimsreddyna....I could not smell any fuel. On cloth...I'll double check later today.

Thanks Again!

Bronson

Old 06-15-2007, 03:46 PM
BRONSON
3rd Gear

Hey Trotter....I think you may be correct. I could not smell any fuel.
I will double check later on today!

Thanks for the post.

Bronson

Old 06-15-2007, 03:48 PM
BRONSON
3rd Gear

Bassman...better not be! If I'm misting the riders behind me...I'll be doing more cleaning detail than I'd like!

L8TA.

Bronson

Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
BRONSON
3rd Gear

Dr_J,

I think it's condensation....no fuel smell...but I'm gonna double check later today.
Have not noticed any after a 50Mi. recent trip. I'm gonna pay closer attention though now.
Backfire....rarely...a little pop only...if I whomp the throttle on downshift...ya know the deal with the whole EFI models. FUEL MGMT. seems to be the way of the world now days. lol

My DYNA35 runs great...very happy I FINALLY purchased a H-D.

Hope to post up some pics in the near future. All you guys have pics of your awesome rides on the site. I am NEW to the board...so in time...I'll be in step with the rest of ya.

Thanks for the post.

Bronson

Old 06-15-2007, 04:17 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

It's condensations for sure. If it was letting enough unburned fuel out the exhaust port to make it to the muffler, it would be smoking horribly and running like total ***. It's completely normal, don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mist