Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handelbars "creaking" ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM
damager1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Handelbars "creaking" ??

Kind of a strange problem I've got going on here... Last fall (or ****, might've been two falls ago) I had 10 inch apes installed on my super glide. Absolutely love them. But a few weeks back, I've started to notice some "creaking" going on as I apply pressure to them - either when pushing the bike forwards or backwards, turning, leaning into them, and most of all when I turn the fork all the way left or right til it bottoms out, and apply pressure. I especially notice this when the bike is off and I'm tryin to maneuver it around the garage. I get this creaking noise and this feeling like something is "loose." The problem is that I can't pinpoint exactly what it is or where it's coming from from the sound alone. I know that there's a naturally a wee bit of movement and give on the bars when you apply pressure, but I think I can say it's gotten worse.

My first thought is perhaps the bars are coming loose, which obviously is a bit of a safety issue. But I had a buddy tell me there's no way those things are coming loose.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If that description is too vague I'll try to post a video of it. Although I don't know that it will help as it's "felt" as much as it's heard. But it's definitely distinct.

I should also mention this hasn't happened since I've had the apes, only recently, maybe a month or so back. And it was progressive for sure, it didn't all happen at once.

Should I maybe try re-torquing the 4 bolts beneath the dummy lights?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Rasputin666
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

could be a good time to replace the rubber mounts on your risers with poly bushes ☺

Old 11-06-2017, 12:50 PM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rasputin666
could be a good time to replace the rubber mounts on your risers with poly bushes ☺

well funny you mention those rubber mounts - It kinda almost sounds like THAT is exactly where the sound is coming from. Why do you mention those? And what would "poly bushes" do for me?

Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Rasputin666
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

as you say...it seemed like a possible source of the creaking...also a good idea to firm up the mounts when fitting apes as the extra leverage of the taller bars exposes the weakness of the rubber ones...poly bushes take some of the play out of the setup and give better "feel" on tall bars

Last edited by Rasputin666; 11-06-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Yep. Bushings sound like they are going out. Get the Gooden Tite model from Alloy Art and enjoy the upgrade!

Old 11-06-2017, 03:25 PM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rasputin666
as you say...it seemed like a possible source of the creaking...also a good idea to firm up the mounts when fitting apes as the extra leverage of the taller bars exposes the weakness of the rubber ones...poly bushes take some of the play out of the setup and give better "feel" on tall bars
Thank you! This all makes a ton of sense. I'm going to start there I think. Can these rubber bushings be salvaged by tightening at all? I know you said just invest in the polyurethane ones, but I just don't wanna spend money if I don't have to

Also - say I get the polyurethane ones... Is this a job I can do myself? I'm not stranger to wrenching, but if I have to start splicing wire harnesses, etc... ick. hah!

Man - I have to say I thought anyone that read this thread wouldn't be able to ascertain what the F I was talking about. The description of the problem I gave was pretty vague. If these bushings solve the issue, KUDOS on your troubleshooting abilities dude!! \m/

Last edited by damager1; 11-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:30 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by damager1
Thank you! This all makes a ton of sense. I'm going to start there I think. Can these rubber bushings be salvaged by tightening at all? I know you said just invest in the polyurethane ones, but I just don't wanna spend money if I don't have to

Also - say I get the polyurethane ones... Is this a job I can do myself? I'm not stranger to wrenching, but if I have to start splicing wire harnesses, etc... ick. hah!

If you go poly, the Alloy Arts are around $40 on Amazon. Well worth it in my opinion.

Yes it is a straightforward install. Cover/Protect your tank and frontend. Unbolt the two riser bolts. Lay the bars back so you can access the stock bushings. Remove the stock bushings, and push in the new ones. Bolt the risers back on and you are done.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:34 PM
damager1
Tourer

One last question - what would happen if I did NOTHING? how long would it be until something bad happened - such as maybe these things cracking and dislodging? or would that even occur?

Old 11-06-2017, 03:35 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very easy job too do, cover your tank with towels or blanket,basically unbolt the two bolts and remove bushes. one washer has a earth lead attached. i used a clamp too help instal the poly bushing together. if you can change a spark plug , you can replace the bar bushes

Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by loopie
very easy job too do, cover your tank with towels or blanket,basically unbolt the two bolts and remove bushes. one washer has a earth lead attached. i used a clamp too help instal the poly bushing together. if you can change a spark plug , you can replace the bar bushes
Ok AWESOME! I've installed many a spark plug in my day Already have the order out to Intermountain Harley (their prices are just the best) for a new set of polyurethane bushings. I'll install and I'll report back!

Thanks again for the tips everyone!!

Quick Reply: Handelbars "creaking" ??