Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice and opinions on buying a bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Advice and opinions on buying a bike

i will be in the market to buy a bike in the next couple of months and have begun to do my research. This will be a long term purchase and a bike that I will hope to keep for many years to come, due to the growing family needs. I sold my 2009 FXDL a little over 3 years ago and have been missing it ever since. I spent $$$ in upgrading suspensions, converting the front end to dual disc brakes and many other high end mods, I never went second best.
Up until recently, my decision for a new bike would have been a no brainer, either a FXDL or FXDLs, however, with the release of the 2018s and the news of the Dyna platform and TC being retired from production I have a bit of a dilemma.

I am not a fan of the softail look, however, I am a bit hesitant to buy a Dyna, which is literally no longer in production. Additionally, other than the Fat Bob, which I think is absolutely ugly, there seems to be no performance softail in the line.

My intent is not to rehash a tired topic or insult anyone on their choice of ride, My question is, would you hesitate to purchase a Dyna now that they are no longer in production or am I worried for nothing. I make this purchase with the assumption that at 47, I will have to live with my purchase for a long time.

Thanks!
Mat

Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Making problems from nothing. The aftermarket will still carry the dyna for years to come. Test ride a new softail they ride more refined than a dyna but they lack a feeling I get when I hop on mine

Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Gil Aguilar
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont have any other experience on any other bikes besides the sportster 72 and street bob, 2017. But i was looking around for a new bike and concidered the options. I did not like the 18 softails either. The sportster seemed to small after sometime. I wanted new and to be the only owner. So i chose what was appealing to me. So i chose the sb. With the dyna line being dc, it wasnt a factor in my decision and what i really wanted.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,764 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I take it from your post you still have some '17 Dynas to choose from. Put your butt into some seats and take some test rides to see what you like best. It would be silly to pass up the bike you liked best just because they didn't offer it in a '18...

Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,894 Likes on 11,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I take it from your post you still have some '17 Dynas to choose from. Put your butt into some seats and take some test rides to see what you like best. It would be silly to pass up the bike you liked best just because they didn't offer it in a '18...

If you really want a Dyna, you can probably get a good deal on a '17.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Don't worry about the dynamic being discontinued, hd can tell us whatever they want but that's what they did...that's are softails with dyna names. Don't get me wrong I was at the dealer today and really spent some looking over the new 18s' ...the low rider looks like a standard softail with a low rider rear fender...I actually liked it...low rider has always been my favorite dyna and I'm a sucker for a softail. Buy a leftover 17 if you don't like the new frame ...plenty of aftermarket available and will be for a very long time. Now that I've solved all of your problems I'm really having thoughts of a new Road king...they had a standard road king in vivid black and I have to admit I'm really tempted. I think the only thing that's going to make me hold off is I have a feeling that the 114 is going to come to the touring lineup next year.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:11 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Why no more Dyna production makes you hesitate? Parts? There is a plenty .
what else?
I hear there some good deals on 2017 model. Get the fxdl that u like. It looks and sounds better than any 2018 model

Old 10-28-2017, 07:18 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Ride them and see what you like. The fxdls was tge only bike to give me an adrenaline rush when I saw it.

Buy what moves your soul.

Just remember at one point the 1994 Mustang was a much better car than a 1967 one so to speak, and people out there traded them in. And which one is cooler and moves your soul more in hindsight?

Ride them all, buy what exites you. I have no regrets having a 2017 Dyna, it always makes me smile. Your results may very.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:33 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,841 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Advice and opinions on buying a bike

Up next - which ol should I hook up with

Originally Posted by bucket13
My question is, would you hesitate to purchase a Dyna now that they are no longer in production or am I worried for nothing.

Plenty of old iron still alive and well (and parts to be had)

Obviously you have a penchant for mod-ing

Get what twists your throttle - then make it yours

Ghost

Old 10-29-2017, 03:05 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

The dyna has a classic look and feel that I like. Softtails or the new Dynas just don't do it for me although they look cool. I looked at the Soft tail and test rode one before buying the FXDL. They were a different kind of scoot and just not for me.

I plan to keep riding my FXDL until I I'm too old to climb on it. I am still working on upgrades mods. I would not hesitate to grab a deal on 2017 Dyna if I did not already own one.

Quick Reply: Advice and opinions on buying a bike