Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice and opinions on buying a bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 324 Likes on 238 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Dyna, I'd love to have a Low Rider. The fact that they were discontinued, wouldn't bother me a bit.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:19 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

You can still build a Pan from the ground up using new repop parts.

Buy what you like.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Pylot7
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My Harley mechanic buddy told me to buy the newest model with the least mileage I could afford.

Depending on how its optioned, you may not have to do much to make it handle.

I scored a 2011 FXDC for $7500 and it had 3500 miles on it. They are out there. Harley made millions of these bikes. Lotsa boomers lost the desire to ride theirs and they can be had for reasonable money.

The 2011 96 inch motors had all of the upgrades that the first 96 inchers needed. Oil pump and cam chain tensioners were upgraded. I don't know what year the upgrades started but it was before 2011.

Took mine out today for the last ride of the season before I take it apart for upgrades.

Let us know what you do.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:57 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Can't add much to what has already been said .. Other than there are plenty of Dyna's out there.. Find the one that calls your name .. Bought my 05 for 4,000.00 17,000 Miles .. Put close to another 3K in it with Upgrades, Cams and making it my own .. Will probably outlast me now ..

Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

What do you mean by performance? I would be willing to bet the 2018 low rider will go and stop as good as the 2017 low rider s with a exp rider on them. With that said go ride some bikes and good luck. P.S. if you can find a 2014.5 in good shape it's a really nice bike

Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm certainly not new to motorcycles, I have been very fortunate to have been able to buy, modify, ride and sell several bikes throughout the years. My garage had included a 74 Yamaha Special, '93 Sporty, '01 FXDL, '04 FXSTS, '50 FL Panhead, '70 Shovel, 09 FXDL, '09 SG, in addition to a couple Triumphs '67 and '71 and 2000 Ducati Monster. Obviously, the earlier model bikes were not purchased new, and at the time I had no hesitation in doing so. However, for some reason, I am second guessing myself on this latest purchase. It could be that the dealer has gotten into my head, with all the upgrades made to the '18s to improve the previous model years or that I know that due to my current and foreseeable future situation, this will be my last bike purchase for a long time....

I'm going to test drive a couple '18s this weekend and continue my research. I am still leaning heavily towards a Dyna, i have always loved them and from what I have heard the newer softails are almost too refined and smooth ... and this was considered an upgrade. I also like the fact that I could probably get a good deal if I play my cards right.

Thanks Again.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
What do you mean by performance? I would be willing to bet the 2018 low rider will go and stop as good as the 2017 low rider s with a exp rider on them. With that said go ride some bikes and good luck. P.S. if you can find a 2014.5 in good shape it's a really nice bike

By performance, I am referring to shorter length and rake, dual disc front brakes, upgraded front / rear suspension. They all seem rather vanilla to me.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:54 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bucket13
By performance, I am referring to shorter length and rake, dual disc front brakes, upgraded front / rear suspension. They all seem rather vanilla to me.
that new low rider my not have two disks up front but it will stop just fine and the 107 runs good enough to get you in plenty of trouble. So if you want new it's definitely worth a look.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:59 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

Dynas are discontinued? I better sell my 2000 before the parts run out!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 218 Likes on 140 Posts

Something to consider; it's the first year of the new everything.

First year means it hasn't been real world tested all that much. Which usually means there are a whole lot of bugs that need fixing. How many times have you heard, "well the old ones where bad and had that problem, they fixed it a couple years ago" ?

The Twin Cam has got close to 20 years behind it, and the 110 on the FXDLS is a thing of pure beauty. In my honest opinion they used that bike as a proper farewell to the Dyna and did everything they could with one. I remember them pricing out the options vs a standard Lowrider and the savings where in the several thousand and you still didn't get cruise control.

Ride the both but remember where you're getting your information from. The dealer is looking to make a deal and what he has to trade are new bikes he's been told to push that are worth more money, and other bikes that won't bring as much money in. Course they will be bias as to what is "better". And we can argue stats and torque charts and what not all day, but in the end it always comes down to the exact same thing:

Ride it and see.

My L-S is the very definition of everything I love about riding and I'm glad I bought it when I had the chance.

Don't listen to the dealer. Don't listen to us. No one else's opinion matters. There is nothing risked with a Dyna, probably less than an M8 bike, but so what. What moves you?

Find yourself a good salesman too. I got passed around a bit but in the end the guy I ended up buying one from wasn't looking to sell me a bike, he was just looking to help me make a choice but not push that choice. I heard fear tactics left and right, pushes to spend more money on this or that, constant "upgrading". Guy I bought it from just answered my questions and let me ride anything I wanted to. Took about half a dozen salemen till I found him.

And once you know what you want start calling around and emailing. Get them to start offering you deals. You won't get one if you don't ask, just asking can mean thousands. I got $500 off the bike (and it was a next year hot model), $750 in store cash and free tires for life, and all I did was ask a few saleman, "what will you give me if I buy it from you instead of him?". They have these things to give away, just got to ask. Even if it's a brand new in demand model.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 10-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bucket13 (10-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Advice and opinions on buying a bike