Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017 | 09:43 PM
Dyna100
|
Tourer
Default Clutch issue

My 2003 FXDWG has had a clutch that does'nt engage until lever is almost completely released. It's been adjusted by two competent mechanics and the clutch pack has been replaced. I would really like to get it to work like my 2015 FXDL. It does have the easy clutch cam installed, but I'm pretty sure it was the same before and after the cam change. Any ideas ?

Old 10-24-2017 | 08:36 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Have the problem before the clutch pack was replaced?.. if not, look to whoever assembled it.

Old 10-24-2017 | 11:27 AM
Dyna100
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Have the problem before the clutch pack was replaced?.. if not, look to whoever assembled it.
I actually replaced the pack trying to cure this. It's been frustrating.

Old 10-24-2017 | 12:58 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Did the mechanic pull in the clutch to set the ramp and ball in the clutch release mechanism prior to cable adjustment?

Old 10-24-2017 | 03:26 PM
Dyna100
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Did the mechanic pull in the clutch to set the ramp and ball in the clutch release mechanism prior to cable adjustment?
Yep. I actually reviewed the procedure outlined in this forum to make sure he did it right.. He did it by the book.

I'm curious, if I just backed out the screw in the clutch assy, would this move the release point, or just create slack ?

Old 10-24-2017 | 05:02 PM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army
Default Clutch Adjustment

Steps 1. Start with a completely cold bike.
2. Slack cable as much as possible.
3. Remove derby cover.
4. Put the wrench on the adjuster shaft.
5. Break the torque on the jam nut.
6. Back out the adjuster shaft a couple of turns.
7. Pull the clutch lever into the handle bars.
8. While holding the clutch lever against the handle bars, turn the adjuster shaft in.
9. When the clutch lever starts to pull away from the handlebars, stop turning the adjuster.
10. Back out the adjuster 3/4 turn to 1 full turn and hold the adjuster with a wrench and torque the jam nut on the adjuster.
11. Reinstall the derby cover with fluid if needed.
12. Go back to the cable and start turning the adjuster there to put more tension on the cable, by making the cable longer. Adjust it until you have about an 1/8" of play
13. Put a dab of grease on the adjuster and slide the rubber cover the adjuster.
If you have done the adjustment properly, the clutch will start to engage when the lever leaves the handlebars. If the cable is installed wrong or the ***** are not on the ramp, look up that in your maintenance manual.

Put the bike on the side stand with apiece if a 2x4 under the stand. If you have a scissors jack, then just jack it up aft of the transmission. Failure to do this step will put primary fluid in the floor. The bike needs to be level.

Last edited by dyna rider; 10-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dyna100 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017 | 05:54 PM
Dyna100
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Steps 1. Start with a completely cold bike.
2. Slack cable as much as possible.
3. Remove derby cover.
4. Put the wrench on the adjuster shaft.
5. Break the torque on the jam nut.
6. Back out the adjuster shaft a couple of turns.
7. Pull the clutch lever into the handle bars.
8. While holding the clutch lever against the handle bars, turn the adjuster shaft in.
9. When the clutch lever starts to pull away from the handlebars, stop turning the adjuster.
10. Back out the adjuster 3/4 turn to 1 full turn and hold the adjuster with a wrench and torque the jam nut on the adjuster.
11. Reinstall the derby cover with fluid if needed.
12. Go back to the cable and start turning the adjuster there to put more tension on the cable, by making the cable longer. Adjust it until you have about an 1/8" of play
13. Put a dab of grease on the adjuster and slide the rubber cover the adjuster.
If you have done the adjustment properly, the clutch will start to engage when the lever leaves the handlebars. If the cable is installed wrong or the ***** are not on the ramp, look up that in your maintenance manual.

Put the bike on the side stand with apiece if a 2x4 under the stand. If you have a scissors jack, then just jack it up aft of the transmission. Failure to do this step will put primary fluid in the floor. The bike needs to be level.
Thank you. This sounds like it should work... I'll try it myself to make sure it's done right.

Old 10-24-2017 | 06:52 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Fill the primary with 26 ozs. of fluid, that's what's called for in my '02 and '05 Dyna's. Just for info.

The following users liked this post:
Dyna100 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017 | 09:37 PM
Dyna100
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Fill the primary with 26 ozs. of fluid, that's what's called for in my '02 and '05 Dyna's. Just for info.
Will do.

Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2017 | 02:57 AM
machinedmachines
6th Gear

You might have a bad cable

Quick Reply: Clutch issue