Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:01 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vinyl wrap

Has anyone wrapped their tank and fenders? How did it hold up if so and what was the rough cost? My 03 low rider has the anniversary paint and it just isn't my favorite. I would like to try a non permanent change that is cheaper than paint. Can I stick new badges to the vinyl? Might not be worth the trouble to remove everything but pondering if it's an option.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Wrapping is not cheap if you go to a professional. the wrap itself is not expensive for a good brand like 3m or Avery dennison

ive tried and lost patience lol there are too many angles on a motorcycle especially a tank for a beginner the trick for it to last is to not use too much heat when applying but that's easier said then done

Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Ninety8NeonACR
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

plasti dip?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninety8NeonACR
plasti dip?

thats ts what I was gonna suggest. It would take a lot more patience than I have to do a wrap. Getting all those little air pockets out will be a bitch and if you ever remove it it will b a mother****er. Especially getting all that adhesive off. Not to mention your paint will probably take a beating. At least plastidip comes off easily.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

The tank has to be done in parts, so it wont be seamless. Ive done the top half of my tank and rear fender. I also bought knifeless tape to follow the pin striping on the tank as my cutoff point. Google knifeless tape if you dont know what it is, makes the job much cleaner & easier.

Contrary to what Nickd2689 said, getting the bubbles out is not an impossible task especially if you have an extra set of hands with a blow dryer or heat gun handy. The Vinyl stretches like crazy to get around the curves. Removal is painless as well, very little-no residue left.

I used vivvid brand and found I should have listened to the reviews. It did shrink slightly (creating wrinkles) after a few weeks. I had it all removed and cleaned up in about 2 minutes. 3M brand is much better.

Watch some youtube videos, with patience I think anyone can do this.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl wrap-img_4070.jpg   Vinyl wrap-img_4196.png  
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
The tank has to be done in parts, so it wont be seamless. Ive done the top half of my tank and rear fender. I also bought knifeless tape to follow the pin striping on the tank as my cutoff point. Google knifeless tape if you dont know what it is, makes the job much cleaner & easier.

Contrary to what Nickd2689 said, getting the bubbles out is not an impossible task especially if you have an extra set of hands with a blow dryer or heat gun handy. The Vinyl stretches like crazy to get around the curves. Removal is painless as well, very little-no residue left.

I used vivvid brand and found I should have listened to the reviews. It did shrink slightly (creating wrinkles) after a few weeks. I had it all removed and cleaned up in about 2 minutes. 3M brand is much better.

Watch some youtube videos, with patience I think anyone can do this.
i didn't say it was impossible, I said it would be a mother****er since the op doesn't seem to have any experience with wrap. It sounds like you really know your **** in regards to wraps though so maybe op has a better chance of makin this work with some direction/advice from you. Whichever way you go op, good luck and definitely let us know how it turns out

Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM
johnny_bravo00
Road Captain
Received 285 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
i didn't say it was impossible, I said it would be a mother****er since the op doesn't seem to have any experience with wrap. It sounds like you really know your **** in regards to wraps though so maybe op has a better chance of makin this work with some direction/advice from you. Whichever way you go op, good luck and definitely let us know how it turns out
So long as OP is willing. It can be done. That was my first experience with vinyl wrapping aside from placing decals. Turned out perfect for me. Not disrespecting you. And can clearly see by post count, you're well invested in helping forum members out. Clearly stepped on a nerve tho, I've done what OP is asking about (without experience) and I'm just stating that it can be done. So long as he's confident and willing to learn as you go. Cleanup if he does F-up is the easiest part.

With just about anything and everything on the interwebs now, I think people are a bit more confident in venturing outside their comfort levels.

Last edited by johnny_bravo00; 10-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnny_bravo00
So long as OP is willing. It can be done. That was my first experience with vinyl wrapping aside from placing decals. Turned out perfect for me. Not disrespecting you. And can clearly see by post count, you're well invested in helping forum members out. Clearly stepped on a nerve tho, I've done what OP is asking about (without experience) and I'm just stating that it can be done. So long as he's confident and willing to learn as you go. Cleanup if he does F-up is the easiest part.

With just about anything and everything on the interwebs now, I think people are a bit more confident in venturing outside their comfort levels.

woa no I wasn't doubting him at all, my point is it's a difficult task for someone who is trying for the first time. I'm with you, I'm not here to disrespect or insult anybody by any means. Didn't realize my post came off like that. I'm the type where if you can pay someone to do something, you can learn to do it. So I agree 100%, if the desire is there, nothing is impossible. As far as myself, I simply don't have the patience to learn to wrap on my bike. I'm just too **** about the end result. But by all means op, go for it.

Again, nothing I said was intended as an argument or disrespectful or like "no, you can't do that", nor do I feel disrespected. We're all here to help one another so egos/fights/etc is only counterproductive.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 PM
robertkitchens
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do decided to wrap it, I would stick with 3M or Avery as previously mentioned. My 06 FXDB is wrapped right now, the tank is done in two pieces and is seamed under my dash piece, but you can get the front fender out of one piece if you pull front to back, same with the rear fender. The stretch is key, as you can heat the excess and get it to shrink back to its original form once you get it around the top of the rear fender to work it down the sides of the fender. It's not an easy task at all, but is very doable. The sign shop I work at has done a few including my own. Mines currently a KPMF vinyl that has some flake to it, much better than the denim black it was. If you do decide to go with wrap, I'd recommend buying from either Metro Restyling or Fellers.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 PM
BobbyH83
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks everyone. I might try it if it gets cold here in Houston this year. I have read about plastidip damaging paint and wanted more color options. I was thinking of having it done but the whole point is a cheaper option so it sounds like that’s out. Maybe I can do some test runs first.

The following users liked this post:
Darrius (05-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrap