Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

straight pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
fxsts1999
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default straight pipes

when you run a 07 fxd with out the baffles (straight pipes) I have heard guys here say you lose allyour lowenddoes this mean a loss of power making the bike slow? Would like to run straight pipes but not if I am going to lose all my low end.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:30 PM
hounddog
Tourer
Default RE: straight pipes

ya you loss some low end torque, i think the hp stays the same. but mid to wide open you can actually gain a pony or two but mostly its the same just louder. i run straights but got the stock headers with the cross-over pipe so that helps but i also spent 30 bucks for the torque cones you drop in the head of the pipe and they really made a differance. good bang for your buck and it doesnt change the look or sound of the pipes, just gives you the back pressure you need to run good and low speeds. id go with the cones if you want to loose the baffles, but im sure theres plenty of cats runnin straights with nothing and are fine, its all up to you my friend.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like hounddog says, baffles provide backpreasure. Back preasure provides a bit of tourque. IMO the cones work well for low $$. Had them in my dads '90 FXSTC with Samson Sweepers that are wide open. Ran great.

I've ridden with hounddog, and his setup with the stock headers, straights, cones and turn down tips sounds great and runs strong. Looks very good for very little $$ and a lot of ingenuity.

MV

Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM
hounddog
Tourer

thats right buddy!!! i need to update my pic so my cool modded heat shields are shown!! thanks for the complment marcus, too bad yer doin family stuff and are going to miss the devils hwy run. but its not going anywhere......its going to be pretty nice i think up there outta the valley heat...i hope!!! later

Old 06-14-2007, 09:52 PM
fxsts1999
Novice

I have the a 07 with the 96" motor I have heard that the 96" motor needs the back pressure to run right.I think you guys are talking about the 88" with a carb. My old bike was a 90 softail with a carb easy to set up and run strong. Has anyone heard that the 96" fuel inj. 07 bikesdon't work good withstraight pipes

Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
hounddog
Tourer

NA NA ya its the 88 but mines EFI man. and ya the bikes need back pressure to run right and thats what the cones do for you. im tellin ya if you want to run the straights get the cones its well worth ther 30 bucks!!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Night_Train01
Tourer

Yeah you might loose a little low end torque but you gain a big smile

Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 PM
fxsts1999
Novice

Thank guys thats what I needed to hear

Old 06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
jefx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fxd2007

when you run a 07 fxd with out the baffles (straight pipes) I have heard guys here say you lose allyour lowenddoes this mean a loss of power making the bike slow? Would like to run straight pipes but not if I am going to lose all my low end.
I drilled out the restrictors in my stock pipes (07 Street Bob) with a 1-1/4" hole saw, basically making them straight through. No other mods have been done.

It made the bike a lot louder and sounds pretty cool, but it lost a bit of power......especially in "passing" situations. When cracking the throttle from 1/4 to full, in mid to higher gears, the bike just doesn't have the same response. Opening the trottle just makes the bike louder, but doesn't accelerate as quickly.

Also, the plugs are ashy gray after drilling the pipes (should have checked them pre-mod). Looks pretty lean to my eyes. Other than that, the bike starts and runs fine, but I'm gonna need a Power Commander pretty soon, otherwise I'm gonna get paranoid about burning holes in my pistons.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:22 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I drilled out the plug in the center of mine as well and it's OK. I also have another set of stock mufflers that I took a 1 3/4 hole saw to and completely removed the baffles. That really gave it some bark and it ran just fine. There was a noticable difference in the bottom end but it still had plenty of power. Funny thing is it pops through the exhaust with just the plug removed but does not with the whole baffle removed.

Quick Reply: straight pipes