Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FU HURR HARVEY! frame options

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017 | 06:29 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vec
i have no idea why you even started a claim on the bike...
This^

If it wasnt knocked over and damaged, Id of checked it out FIRST, before giving it to ins.

Old 10-08-2017 | 08:37 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vec
i have no idea why you even started a claim on the bike...
yup, mistake.

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
This^

If it wasnt knocked over and damaged, Id of checked it out FIRST, before giving it to ins.
yup, old man asked same thing. mistake.

was still in a bit of haze when i met with my agent and started filing claims on property, vehicles & bike.

pretty stressful situation down here, and was not in a good state of mind; trusted my agent a bit too much.

additionally, we were told to expect 2-3 of water in house for 2-3 weeks; this puts 2.5 - 3.5 in the garage where the bike sits. assumed everything was total loss and needed to get the ball rolling.

hindsight is always 20/20.

i did ride for about 30 minutes this afternoon. all is still well, and i am keeping it regardless.

Old 10-08-2017 | 08:43 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by AFMM3
I would make the insurance company show me, in writing, the reason that the bike has to be stamped as non repairable. Is it a Texas law, or is it the easiest way for the insurance company to process the bike during a massive workload event for them. I would work at reclassifying it. Totaled shouldn't necessarily mean non repairable.

pickup insurance said they were not letting people keep cages with a salvage title (salvage in texas can be repaired and registered); their reasoning was to protect the public from the influx of flood cars being resold. not sure i buy that, but they would NOT let me keep my pickup.

insurance co cannot give a clear answer for their reasoning on the non repairable classification.

just glad they're letting me keep the bike.

Old 10-08-2017 | 08:45 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
Any fxd, FXDB, or FXDL/S frame from 2012-2017 should work just fine. Also, I would make the insurance company show me how it’s not repairable. Check local laws too about repairable and nonrepairable titles. Seems like they are just feeding you some bullshit because they don’t want to deal with the extra paperwork

gotcha on the '12 - '17 frame years; thanks for answering my question.

Old 10-08-2017 | 08:48 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Northbound Southerner
I believe (not completely sure...) that the new frame will have to be stamped with the old vin. Puts you in the same position...
thanks; i will call and find out.

Old 10-08-2017 | 08:50 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

thank you to everyone offering advice and information.

Old 10-08-2017 | 09:12 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

Personally, I'd just let the insurance co. total the bike and pick up a nice low mileage garage queen. Plenty of them to be found. Much less hassle considering everything you're having to deal with.

Old 10-08-2017 | 09:56 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by confederate
Personally, I'd just let the insurance co. total the bike and pick up a nice low mileage garage queen. Plenty of them to be found. Much less hassle considering everything you're having to deal with.
thanks confederate, i've weighed that option as well.

but... it's my first bike, it's a harley, and as soon as i saw it, i knew it would be mine.

going to hang in there and tough it out.

additionally, we do not have flood insurance, actually, only about 15% of the flooded homes did. the talking heads on tv said this was an 800 year storm. some of our neighbors are the original homeowners and purchased their homes new in 1997. in 20 years, they've never seen it 1/2 up the driveway.

we received one years worth of rainfall in 3 days; over 50 inches.

home repairs are going to total 50k; we're using some savings, and a loan to rebuild.

on top of that, my wife and i now both have car payments.

no way in hell would i be able to purchase another bike until all loans are paid in full. this will be at least 5 years.

i see keeping the bike as my only opportunity to ride anytime soon.

i CAN swing the new frame / rebuild option without much fuss from the wife. plus, i find wrenching ALMOST as relaxing as riding, most times...

again, i do appreciate EVERY piece of advice, and suggestions.

Old 10-08-2017 | 10:55 PM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain

Sucks that you even had to go through the pain of losing almost everything. I know how you feel. I lost everything in a house fire 12 years ago. It took quite a while to rebuild our lives. Years for the emotional scars to heal. I’m glad we could help you out at least a little bit with some advice. Good luck with the bike and the rebuild

Old 10-08-2017 | 11:12 PM
shackleford rusty
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boostedboxer04
Sucks that you even had to go through the pain of losing almost everything. I know how you feel. I lost everything in a house fire 12 years ago. It took quite a while to rebuild our lives. Years for the emotional scars to heal. I’m glad we could help you out at least a little bit with some advice. Good luck with the bike and the rebuild
thanks for the well wishes boosted.

riding is my crack, and i am an addict. hadnt been on the bike since late august; that's the longest i've ever gone without a ride since purchase april 18th, 2015. i DO NOT know how the guys up north deal with winterizing and storing their machines for months.

i guess you have to be grateful for the times your arms are in the wind. i know i am... especially now...

not to start the whole helmet vs. no helmet debate... but i cannot find my helmet. it may have floated down the street somewhere.

peoples opinions vary greatly, but i've decided to take the risk on my last two rides and go without the skid lid.

i typically wear a 1/2 helmet... love the feeling and freedom of no lid...

but... i do not have kids to worry about...