Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDLS oil level confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts
Default FXDLS oil level confusion

I know this has been addressed before (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...t-or-cold.html), just need someone to pat my head and tell me I'm worrying over nothing.

According to the manual, halfway at cold and full at hot, but the oil level stays within one square no matter the temperature. Halfway on cold engine before riding to work, check it immediately when I get back home after letting it idle for a few minutes per manual to make sure it's hot, and level didn't budge. So I fill it to one square less then full on stick. Check back just now 4 hours later and oil is still at "hot full".

What am I not understanding? It's only got 700 miles on it and had it for 3 weeks so I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but by what the manual is telling me, I should be seeing some level change.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
I know this has been addressed before (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...t-or-cold.html), just need someone to pat my head and tell me I'm worrying over nothing.

According to the manual, halfway at cold and full at hot, but the oil level stays within one square no matter the temperature. Halfway on cold engine before riding to work, check it immediately when I get back home after letting it idle for a few minutes per manual to make sure it's hot, and level didn't budge. So I fill it to one square less then full on stick. Check back just now 4 hours later and oil is still at "hot full".

What am I not understanding? It's only got 700 miles on it and had it for 3 weeks so I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but by what the manual is telling me, I should be seeing some level change.
If you’re seeing hot full on a cold motor, you’re going to end up having oil carryover into your air cleaner.

TBH, I never check hot. I stick with halfway on the stick cold and that works for me. I don’t get any oil from my breathers and there’s plenty of oil to keep my motor running happily.

I’m not sure what you are doing wrong (sorry) but it must be something. The laws of physics dictate that the oil will expand in volume when hot, so you must be reading it wrong. It’s not possible for the level to be exactly the same hot or cold.

Is it possible you aren’t letting the oil get to operating temp? (which idling won’t do btw). I need to ride for at least 20-30 min for the oil to get over 200deg.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member

It’s a 15 minute ride, half town half highway, from home to work and I let it idle for a few minutes thinking that should make it plenty hot. Wish the Dyna had a temp dip stick like my Sportster had.

Reading through other posts, I’m not the first to have a somewhat constant level. Kept the Sportster at half when hot but I know the oil tank and oil pump systems are different so I’m uneasy with what I’m seeing.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
It’s a 15 minute ride, half town half highway, from home to work and I let it idle for a few minutes thinking that should make it plenty hot. Wish the Dyna had a temp dip stick like my Sportster had.

Reading through other posts, I’m not the first to have a somewhat constant level. Kept the Sportster at half when hot but I know the oil tank and oil pump systems are different so I’m uneasy with what I’m seeing.
Nope, 15 min won't do it. And idling is actually cooling the oil. Your oil isn't at operatiimg temp.

As an experiment, why not try riding for an hour and checking it then maybe?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 AM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't worry about it. I have pondered this as well. I run with the level half way up the stick cold like the manual says. I can ride all day and check the oil with the motor red hot and the oil is still half way up the stick..same as cold level. I don't understand it either, but like the last guy said I check it cold and call it good. I don't bother checking it hot anymore.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Mchad
Club Member

And just to add, if the 15 min ride is a regular thing, you’re not doing good things for your motor either. When oil isn’t allowed to get to operating temp, it’s not able to boil out the water that accumulates as part of the normal combustion process. Water in your oil will do all kinds of bad things to the motor over the long term. And the cooler it gets outside the more will accumulate.

My commute to work is all of 8 min. I deliberately take the very long way. Not only do I get to ride longer, I get to make sure my oil is over 212degs for long enough to boil out any accumulated water.

robertomendo (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 05:49 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

You're overthinking this oil business...just go with the 1/2 on stick when cold and ride.

Mchad (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member

Thanks for the info everyone, working in IT it's in my nature to over analize everything. I just need to take Iceman's advice and "chill out". I'm going to keep it here and leave it alone.