Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back to mid controls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 PM
Belson_c
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back to mid controls?

I just bought an 07 street bob that already had forward controls, would it be a pain in the a** to go back to mids? And what parts would I need? Tried searching but not to much threads about going back to mids from forwards

Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Boostedboxer04
Road Captain
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

It’s not a pain at all. I’d post on your local Craigslist about wanting to trade yours for mids. There are tons of guys looking for forward controls. It’s probably your best bet

Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 AM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

It really depends if you still have the primary with the hole through it for the shifter shaft. if you're really lucky, the shifter shaft is even in place. Having to R&R the primary, or even change it out entirely would considerably add to the pain in the a** factor.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 808 Posts

Why don't you like the forward controls?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Belson_c
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
Why don't you like the forward controls?

Cause I'm short haha and my legs are fully extended when I'm riding, I've had forward controls on my last harley but they didn't put my legs at the fully extended position like the ones on my dyna I'm 5'8 aha

Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Booster seat?
Some seats do push you forward.. L
But get what you want to be comfortable

Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Belson_c
Cause I'm short haha and my legs are fully extended when I'm riding, I've had forward controls on my last harley but they didn't put my legs at the fully extended position like the ones on my dyna I'm 5'8 aha
I'm 5'7" and have a wide glide and my legs are not fully extended. I guess I have longer legs and a short upper body.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM
tunafisher729
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm interested in going the other direction, trading my mids for forwards. I had an offer do do this but was hesitant not knowing what additional parts were needed for the job. I would like to keep the spline in the primary until I'm sure I prefer the forwards to the mid controls. Some of the forward control kits come with a bracket or something that you can use to keep the spline and affix the old shifter shaft to a bolt on the engine case I believe. I have not been able to find that part available for sale separately. Does anyone know where this bracket is available? Is it possible to fabricate this part?

Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tunafisher729
I'm interested in going the other direction, trading my mids for forwards. I had an offer do do this but was hesitant not knowing what additional parts were needed for the job. I would like to keep the spline in the primary until I'm sure I prefer the forwards to the mid controls. Some of the forward control kits come with a bracket or something that you can use to keep the spline and affix the old shifter shaft to a bolt on the engine case I believe. I have not been able to find that part available for sale separately. Does anyone know where this bracket is available? Is it possible to fabricate this part?
If you're going to do it, just do it right...it's not that hard and you could always go back. I hate the looks of some of the "rig jobs" I have seen on this Forum - just not tidy at all. Here is a great Thread going from Mids to Forwards done right:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-primary.html

The following 2 users liked this post by HD Pilot:
tunafisher729 (09-26-2017), wlcjack (10-06-2017)

Quick Reply: Going back to mid controls?