Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDLS 2 tuners???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Dimis
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXDLS 2 tuners???

Ok guys I'm brand new to the forum but I have a question. I went into my local dealer today and I'm working out a deal on getting a 2017 lowrider s (fingers crossed) well while I was waiting to hear back I strolled up to the parts counter to discuss getting some things changed out. My main two headaches have been narrowed down to the bars and the pipes. I don't want to fiddle around changing brake and clutch lines seeing as I'm not a mechanic at all and for the exhaust I know I need a tune so just let the old MoCo deal with it right?... well hold on there Skippy not so fast. Mr tech guy comes out to give me a rundown on what I'll be purchasing and he informs me I need not 1 but 2 tuners from HD to stay in my warranty. O...k...?!? So I'm not sure what's going on here but basically he tells me that the first tuner will give me a 10% variance in either direction for my fuel ratio and this second box adds an additional 10%. He says with my 110SE I'm gonna need more than 10% so I gotta have both. He also stated that any yuner i use thats not from Harley is an instant void of my warranty. At this point my BS meter has reached red zone and I just simply tell the guy I'll find another way even if it means voiding my precious warranty. So what says the people? Is he a load of crap? Or is he right about needing a $400 tuner on top of a $300 tuner to get some Vance and Hines sideshots on my future ride?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

He's simply FoS.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Needing two tuners? No.

Voiding warranty getting a other tuner tuned outside of the dealer? Possibly but there would need to be evidence that a bad tune caused the problem claimed on warranty.

My dealer sells the tuner (only 1!), custom dyno tunes the bike and you keep your warranty. Everyone's a winner. Your dealer sounds as slippery as a butcher's dick

Old 09-20-2017, 11:46 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

He's having you on.

with the 2017 any ECM change will void warranty, and they can tell if it's been flashed now.

In Australia, the laws are slightly different. Say if I tuned it myself via powervision or whatever and say the swingarm cracks then the warranty is still intact as the tune had nil impact on the swingarm.

Say if a lifter failed.... that's when you are relying on the good graces of the dealership

say if you put a nice speed hole in the piston.... on your own bub.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts

LOL he's full of crap. You don't NEED a tuner, much less two. You WANT a tuner and in want, I mean NEED . But seriously, not two. And the warranty thing is bs as well. In terms of tuners, do yourself and get a Dynojet Powervision.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

With that line of BS that the Tech was feeding you, I would be skeptical of what kind of deal the salesman was working out for you.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I've never once heard of two tuners. That's complete bullshit. He might have been talking about a tuner and the Harley autotune kit, but that's still not necessary. Buy a power vision from fuel moto, keep a copy of your original tune just in case, and find a different dealer. Period.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:06 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I've never once heard of two tuners. That's complete bullshit. He might have been talking about a tuner and the Harley autotune kit, but that's still not necessary. Buy a power vision from fuel moto, keep a copy of your original tune just in case, and find a different dealer. Period.
100% this.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Mattf748
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Slip ons and an FP3 is all you need. About an hour to install both together and you are done.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

You might want to check out this Consent Decree HD made with the EPA.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...avidson-cd.pdf

Bottom of Page 7 I believe is where the interesting information is. It says if HD has any info to show a 2017 or later model vehicle was tuned by a Tuning Product that is not covered by Califorana ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA, HD SHALL deny all warranty claims for defects of powertrain components.

Also, as stated previously, HD can tell if a bike has been previously tuned, even if the stock tune is reinstalled.

The following users liked this post:
LoneWoolf (09-24-2017)

Quick Reply: FXDLS 2 tuners???