Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling out a dent?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 AM
DynaDon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulling out a dent?

Sorry - Old school body-shop lingo
If you dent a beer can (showing my age with oil cans) it usually leaves a crease in the can. And even when you pop it out the crease, the line around it, remains. If there is no crease in the dent (oil can) it can be popped out without (hopefully) any trace.
BTW - no speel check on this - kinda flying blind on English - sorry...

Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DynaDon

Sorry - Old school body-shop lingo
If you dent a beer can (showing my age with oil cans) it usually leaves a crease in the can. And even when you pop it out the crease, the line around it, remains. If there is no crease in the dent (oil can) it can be popped out without (hopefully) any trace.
BTW - no speel check on this - kinda flying blind on English - sorry...
Ok .. I gotcha, Thanks for the explanation.

As far as I can tell there is no crease in the dent. Also, it's not really deep. Hard to see unless you look from just the right angle, but you can definitely see it and you can feel it.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
hounddog
Tourer

yup blow dryer good idea guys, ive always seen it on car hoods and you could use the torch on the underside so there wasnt any paint messin. sounds like you got the fix man good luck, let us know how it goes

Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

I have tried the hairdryer/cold air method and it did not work at all. After about 10 tries, I gave up. I'm going to take it to Dentbusters to get them to push it out.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In my experience with removing tank dents, I have found only two solutions, and I have used them both.
First is to drain the tank and use a dent puller to pop it out. That is finished with body filler and a complete paint job on the tank.

The second option is to drain the tank, and then light a match and drop it in. I do not recommend this one however. When I did it to a dented oil tank (that was washed out with solvent before) sticking an acetalyene torch into the neck blew the large dent out to perfection, however it did not stop there because it also split the tank seam wide open at the front. Then I had an ordeal of a welding job to repair the split seam. Oh, did I mention that it startled me when it blew?

Point of story: You may want to consider living with the small dent. There is no magic way that I have ever seen to get back as it was, except by doing that first suggestion I made above.......pg