Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Fat Bob vs. Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,483 Likes on 3,890 Posts

Originally Posted by DM426
Anyone ridden both of these?

Yes, I have. I rode the LR S three times in a row at a Demo Day event last year. Hardly anyone was there.

Last Sat, I rode the Fat Bob 114.

I like both bikes. Both are fine bikes. Hard to say which one I would pick if I had to chose. Kind of like chosing between a Porsche or a Ferrari, there really is no wrong or bad choice. I do not like the small tank on the FB, so I would likely go with the LR S.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rider-529.html

Last edited by Ikelove; 09-20-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Yes, I have. I rode the LR S three times in a row at a Demo Day event last year. Hardly anyone was there.

Last Sat, I rode the Fat Bob 114.

I like both bikes. Both are fine bikes. Hard to say which one I would pick if I had to chose. Kind of like chosing between a Porsche or a Ferrari, there really is no wrong or bad choice. I do not like the small tank on the FB, so I would likely go with the LR S.
I am sorry if I picked on this and you dont like it, but Porsche and Ferrari hard to choose?

jeeegzz what's wrong with these people?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,527 Likes on 802 Posts

Most of this thread in one picture.

Though I don't care for most of the newer models out, I do like that HD is at least trying to shake the stereotypical biker stigma.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
I am sorry if I picked on this and you dont like it, but Porsche and Ferrari hard to choose?

jeeegzz what's wrong with these people?
Sure why not. Have you ever seen the 700 hp $300k 911 GT2 RS?

Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Chonk
Obviously the new Softail line is not for you. If you are happy with the past then that should be fine but if someone wants change that should be fine too. I guess people come here to share feelings but some people take it more seriously than others...

Harley-Davidson's biggest challenge moving forward is this "I don't like change" attitude. No matter if it's better in many ways it's just not the same so a change took place and some can't deal with it.

Give me options, better options and there is a future for possible new purchases otherwise I already have what I want and why would I buy unless it wears out - at the rate most ride that would be about... never.

Oddjack you are not the future of H-D, from the sounds of your posts you are probably into your 50s - 60s and you are not the future. The MoCo has to look ahead and they have gotten over you.

Many times in life I have thought that I would never want another this or that. I did that with BMW motorcycles and now have a R1200GS LC and it is the best BMW I've ever owned.

I personally like the new line. I have issues with some of the scale of the tanks and it may take a while to get used to the Fat Bob but I have to admit it is growing on me.

Personally I would consider the new Heritage Special but I am 2 years into my LRS and am having too much fun with it and plan on doing some touring on it next year to see how that feels before I consider a move.

For the vast majority motorcycles are a luxury item. We usually buy luxury items based upon emotion and other intangibles. So with that I understand I could not change your mind and likely you'll not change another's but your disdain for change is persistent and a downer.

H-D does their research and every time a new line or engine comes out or even some basic change the hate and doomsday predictions come out. Everything seemed okay before the new Softails came out and my guess is things will be just fine afterwards.

There is a global softening of the motorcycle market. Sales numbers are down and will continue to drop for a variety of reasons.

H-D must bring in new customers or you will lose the opportunity to have anything new with H-D on the tank.

H-D has pissed me off plenty but in the end I understand that this is a business and they have to survive.

Chonk

Muhahaaahaaaa

Playing the age card. Oddjack doesnt like the new bikes, so he must be old and grumpy. No Sir, I am not in my 50s and 60s, yet.

But what if I am? I can still come here and say it like I see it and you can disagree by trying to discredit me by pointing out that I am old and cant accept change. Fine. Good for you younger guys and kudos on your flexibility to change.

Oh really? Moco has to do something to survive? Gosh havnt I heard that before. The global motorcycle sales is down, so that issupposed to explain the HD problems, riight?

So how is that Ducati sales are up 13% last year?

End of Dynas marked the end of a generation and style of riding. There always will be Dyna style riders on the road, and they are not small, but not big enough for a company as big as HD to bank on. So they took a new direction. So far, all is good.

But they came up with something that is not a Harley, not a sport bike, not a cruiser, not a motocross, it's all of them and none of them. It's the brainchild of some struggling design managers to come up with one answer: how can we keep everyone happy? They cant, and they shouldnt even try.

I am predicting that the 18FB wont be a market hit. It will have weak sales because of what I mentioned.

I am sorry for all of you HD affiliates. Why not sell HD to a big investor and keep low productions and lower profits and call it a day. Go buy a sport bike company if you can handle it. Even though your history with MV Agusta says otherwise.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:34 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
I think the XDiavel falls more into the naked/street fighter category than it does the cruiser category. I think, for the most part, the market for this bike is guys who've ridden super sport bikes and are looking for similar performance with a more upright position. Sport bike riders have been starting to realize that being hunched over isn't the ideal position for street riding and are deciding they are willing to give up a little performance for more comfort. This is one reason why the naked sport bikes have become more popular in recent years. Sure they'll be a few who might be considering a Fat Bob and go with the XDiavel instead but I don't see it being a direct competitor with the Fat Bob.

I agree, the XDiavel is a very unique bike. It appeals to different types of riders, but I believe their core market is guys who really don't have an interest in cruisers.
Agreed with most of that. But although I would say you are right about the Diavel being more of a street fighter/naked bike, the XDiavel is definitely a cruiser. Yes it's fast and fairly maneuverable for what it is, but it's basically a softail with modern features and power. I used to own a Breakout, and the XDiavel isn't that different from riding the Breakout, except it has way better lean angle, better brakes, etc.

Is it a direct competitor to the Fat Bob (or Low Rider S)? Probably not. But then the Indian Chief Dark Horse and Triumph Rocket are both cruisers, and I wouldn't say those are direct competitors to the Fat Bob, either. They're a different flavor of cruiser.

As for how they're selling, that's a good question. All I can say is there are numerous dealerships pretty close to me, and so I've been able to see most of the '18s in person now. But I haven't been able to see the new Fat Bob because they keep selling almost before they get them off the truck. So it's safe to say Harley has managed to create a respectable level of interest in the Fat Bob.

The look of it has grown on me, but two things sort of aggravate me a bit: the tiny fuel tank and the decision to exclude cruise control. The LRS already had that, so I'm not sure I understand this decision. For sure it should be on the higher priced 114 version.

Last edited by DM426; 09-20-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Sure why not. Have you ever seen the 700 hp $300k 911 GT2 RS?
There we go again. Numbers. " higher is better"

It has 700hp, hmmm lets see, 700> 505 so, yeah it's better!

Why dont you look at Bugatti veiron? It has 1000hp.

So this one is even "better".

Porsche is made by Volkswagen and sounds like one.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:26 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

veyron aint beating a the gt, or any decent Porsche, around the n-ring. https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

the booggie man is a brag mobile not a precision 911

Last edited by cvaria; 09-20-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

LOL Don't assume. I was simply pointing out that someone who is interested in an exotic sports car and has the means to buy one might also consider the Porsche.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:09 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
veyron aint beating a the gt, or any decent Porsche, around the n-ring. https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

the booggie man is a brag mobile not a precision 911
So take your pick, want more horse power or want more lap speed.

Cant have everything together. You guys are amazing, there is always something "better"

Why do you think HD chose 107? because it's bigger and "better" than 103. They just wanted some higher number because they know you all too well.

God knows if there is anyone among us who has used 103 to it's full potential and then find out he needs something more.

Quick Reply: '18 Fat Bob vs. Low Rider S