Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'18 Fat Bob vs. Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
I am almost certain to design the 18 FB, HD looked at the Diavel.

If pure performance is enough to make a decision to buy, why would a young rider choose 18 FB over a Diavel?
The original intent of this thread was to compare the LRS to the new 18 FB. This thread is about comparing the LRS-Dyna to the 18 FB only, not a HD cruiser to a sport-oriented bike....performance wise (factual performance tests) let's see how a bone stock LRS is better performing to a bone stock 18 FB. I'd like to see actual tests, not opinions....but I feel the 18 FB will win, sorry.

For the record, I'm very happy with my LRS and personally I do not care for the looks of the 18 FB. But, on the same aspect I'm not going to turn a blind eye at what bike in stock trim outperforms which bike. The 18 line up is a step up in performance and overall handling....please show me factual tests which prove otherwise.

Last edited by nightsterept; 09-20-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
ask the many folks in the softail forum that have bought one...
Good try,

Guess what, there are not many young riders at softail forum, less than that young riders who had to choose between a Diavel and a FB.

The young riders that HD is hoping to click with are the ones that are getting into HD for the first time.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nightsterept
The original intent of this thread was to compare the LRS to the new 18 FB. This thread is about comparing the LRS-Dyna to the 18 FB only, not a HD cruiser to a sport-oriented bike....performance wise (factual petformance tests) let's see how a bone stock LRS is better performing to a bone stock 18 FB. I'd like to see actual tests, not opinions....but I feel the 18 FB will win, sorry.
First of all, the new FB is a sport cruiser and sport oriented, thats what I will call it.

Second of all, dont besorry. I also say the FB wins in pure performance test.

And that's why I brought up Diavel, because there the FB will lose in pure performance.

So, the question is, if pure performance is so important, why one would choose a FB over a Diavel?

The following users liked this post:
Crmx (09-24-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:23 AM
nightsterept
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

First of all, the new FB is a sport cruiser and sport oriented, thats what I will call it.

Second of all, dont besorry. I also say the FB wins in pure performance test.

And that's why I brought up Diavel, because there the FB will lose in pure performance.

So, the question is, if pure performance is so important, why one would choose a FB over a Diavel?
Good, we all agree on the original intent of this thread, comparing the LRS to 18 FB, performance wise.

Why would someone choose a Diavel over a HD, not sure, lots of reasons I would assume, perhaps HD has some sort of marketing research published...especially since they are one in the same corporate family (soon to be anyway)

Last edited by nightsterept; 09-20-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

What the hell is wrong with Harley Davidson? This is just my opinion and it is probably way wrong but here I go... stop the trickling down year after year B.S. and put out the best bike with the best tech! Then when you come up with something truly new it will be a real reason to look at a new bike! Example 1. You put cruise control on then take it off the line? 2. Put out a new low rider but no Dual front disks? 3. No 114 in some bikes? No 114 in the touring bikes? The list is long but im sure you get the point im going for... as for the 2018 fat bob vs the low rider s? If the fat bob had the cruise control and Hydraulic clutch that the 2017 low rider s has i would take the new Fat bob... And put the Dual front disk, cruise control and hydraulic clutch on the new low rider and it would be a better bike then last year's low rider s...

The following users liked this post:
rideon (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I wouldn't bring the Diavel into the conversation because most Diavels available in the US are the Carbon, Titanium, or Diesel versions, which start at about $25k and go up from there. Are they awesome bikes? Sure, I've ridden the Diavel numerous times and it's an amazing hybrid between a sport bike and a cruiser. But it really is quite different than anything else on the market, so I wouldn't characterize it as a direct competitor to the Fat Bob.

Now the XDiavel is a different story. The XDiavel, 18 Fat Bob, and Low Rider S are all performance-oriented cruisers which are variations on the same theme. Plus all of these bikes cost about the same, so it's a reasonable comparison.

On a pure performance level, there's simply no comparison at all. The XDiavel significantly outperforms both Harleys in every way a motorcycle can be measured. Which brings us to the "character" issue. With a full Termignoni exhaust, the XDiavel rumbles, vibrates, and snarls like no other bike I've personally ever ridden. I've ridden mine to the Harley dealership a couple of times to pick up parts or whatever, and it never fails to attract a crowd.

But that certainly isn't the end of the story because motorcycling can't be reduced to a pure numbers game. We all know there are tons of bikes out there which will easily outperform pretty much any Harley ever made. However, many riders still prefer Harley because of the particular type of character these bikes are known for. Harleys have character in spades, even if they lack the raw performance and reliability of some other bikes.

I would say the XDiavel is a very rare exception to that rule. The XDiavel has the raw performance and modern features of a sport bike, but the comfort, character, and style on par with a Harley. It's an exceptionally well designed machine, which is why it pretty much swept all the motorcycle awards in 2016.

If we're comparing the 18 Fat Bob to the 17 Low Rider S, that's a fascinating comparison because these bikes are fundamentally similar, yet pretty different in some important ways. The XDiavel is sort of similar as well, but it's also kind of tough to directly compare because it fully embraces the future, whereas Harley is just sticking its toe in the water with the '18 models.

Last edited by DM426; 09-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I am almost certain to design the 18 FB, HD looked at the Diavel.

If pure performance is enough to make a decision to buy, why would a young rider choose 18 FB over a Diavel?
For the same reason some young riders would chose a V-Max over the Diavel. Someone coming from a sport bike background typically expects a higher level of performance. Most riders who prefer cruisers still appreciate and expect performance but don't necessarily need the level of performance a sport bike offers. I spoke to my two nephews about this. The 35 year old who comes from a sport bike background would choose the Diavel but also complimented the looks of the Fat Bob. He also said that the Diavel wouldn't be his first choice and said that if he were looking for something that sits more upright he would choose the Ducati Supersport over the Diavel. My 31 year old nephew who has always rode cruisers said he would easily choose the Fat Bob and thinks the Diavel is ugly. While performance is important, at some point style comes into play.

Different strokes for different folks. There's a market out there for the Fat Bob and between the young guys like my nephew and older guys like me who love the Fat Bob, they're going to sell a ton of them.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DM426
I wouldn't bring the Diavel into the conversation because most Diavels available in the US are the Carbon, Titanium, or Diesel versions, which start at about $25k and go up from there. Are they awesome bikes? Sure, I've ridden the Diavel numerous times and it's an amazing hybrid between a sport bike and a cruiser. But it really is quite different than anything else on the market, so I wouldn't characterize it as a direct competitor to the Fat Bob.

Now the XDiavel is a different story. The XDiavel, 18 Fat Bob, and Low Rider S are all performance-oriented cruisers which are variations on the same theme. Plus all of these bikes cost about the same, so it's a reasonable comparison.

On a pure performance level, there's simply no comparison at all. The XDiavel significantly outperforms both Harleys in every way a motorcycle can be measured. Which brings us to the "character" issue. With a full Termignoni exhaust, the XDiavel rumbles, vibrates, and snarls like no other bike I've personally ever ridden. I've ridden mine to the Harley dealership a couple of times to pick up parts or whatever, and it never fails to attract a crowd.

But that certainly isn't the end of the story because motorcycling can't be reduced to a pure numbers game. We all know there are tons of bikes out there which will easily outperform pretty much any Harley ever made. However, many riders still prefer Harley because of the particular type of character these bikes are known for. Harleys have character in spades, even if they lack the raw performance and reliability of some other bikes.

I would say the XDiavel is a very rare exception to that rule. The XDiavel has the raw performance and modern features of a sport bike, but the comfort, character, and style on par with a Harley. It's an exceptionally well designed machine, which is why it pretty much swept all the motorcycle awards in 2016.

If we're comparing the 18 Fat Bob to the 17 Low Rider S, that's a fascinating comparison because these bikes are fundamentally similar, yet pretty different in some important ways. The XDiavel is sort of similar as well, but it's also kind of tough to directly compare because it fully embraces the future, whereas Harley is just sticking its toe in the water with the '18 models.
I think the XDiavel falls more into the naked/street fighter category than it does the cruiser category. I think, for the most part, the market for this bike is guys who've ridden super sport bikes and are looking for similar performance with a more upright position. Sport bike riders have been starting to realize that being hunched over isn't the ideal position for street riding and are deciding they are willing to give up a little performance for more comfort. This is one reason why the naked sport bikes have become more popular in recent years. Sure they'll be a few who might be considering a Fat Bob and go with the XDiavel instead but I don't see it being a direct competitor with the Fat Bob.

I agree, the XDiavel is a very unique bike. It appeals to different types of riders, but I believe their core market is guys who really don't have an interest in cruisers.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Chonk
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

All I hear since the day 18 model was introduced, "better" this , better that

For me, "better" is when and only when it's required by necessity.

If you ride a bike for a whole year and never needed to lean more than 35 degrees and then see the next model that lets you lean 50 degrees, what the 15 degrees more mean to you? Nothing.

Yet, everyone will say the second bike is "better"

Intel Processor i7 is better than my intel i5 that I have on my laptop.
But guess what, I never run a program on my laptop that requires i7 speeds.
yet i7 is "better"

Some people worry about "better" too much.
Obviously the new Softail line is not for you. If you are happy with the past then that should be fine but if someone wants change that should be fine too. I guess people come here to share feelings but some people take it more seriously than others...

Harley-Davidson's biggest challenge moving forward is this "I don't like change" attitude. No matter if it's better in many ways it's just not the same so a change took place and some can't deal with it.

Give me options, better options and there is a future for possible new purchases otherwise I already have what I want and why would I buy unless it wears out - at the rate most ride that would be about... never.

Oddjack you are not the future of H-D, from the sounds of your posts you are probably into your 50s - 60s and you are not the future. The MoCo has to look ahead and they have gotten over you.

Many times in life I have thought that I would never want another this or that. I did that with BMW motorcycles and now have a R1200GS LC and it is the best BMW I've ever owned.

I personally like the new line. I have issues with some of the scale of the tanks and it may take a while to get used to the Fat Bob but I have to admit it is growing on me.

Personally I would consider the new Heritage Special but I am 2 years into my LRS and am having too much fun with it and plan on doing some touring on it next year to see how that feels before I consider a move.

For the vast majority motorcycles are a luxury item. We usually buy luxury items based upon emotion and other intangibles. So with that I understand I could not change your mind and likely you'll not change another's but your disdain for change is persistent and a downer.

H-D does their research and every time a new line or engine comes out or even some basic change the hate and doomsday predictions come out. Everything seemed okay before the new Softails came out and my guess is things will be just fine afterwards.

There is a global softening of the motorcycle market. Sales numbers are down and will continue to drop for a variety of reasons.

H-D must bring in new customers or you will lose the opportunity to have anything new with H-D on the tank.

H-D has pissed me off plenty but in the end I understand that this is a business and they have to survive.

Chonk

Last edited by Chonk; 09-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:14 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chonk
Obviously the new Softail line is not for you. If you are happy with the past then that should be fine but if someone wants change that should be fine too. I guess people come here to share feelings but some people take it more seriously than others...

Harley-Davidson's biggest challenge moving forward is this "I don't like change" attitude. No matter if it's better in many ways it's just not the same so a change took place and some can't deal with it.

Give me options, better options and there is a future for possible new purchases otherwise I already have what I want and why would I buy unless it wears out - at the rate most ride that would be about... never.

Oddjack you are not the future of H-D, from the sounds of your posts you are probably into your 50s - 60s and you are not the future. The MoCo has to look ahead and they have gotten over you.

Many times in life I have thought that I would never want another this or that. I did that with BMW motorcycles and now have a R1200GS LC and it is the best BMW I've ever owned.

I personally like the new line. I have issues with some of the scale of the tanks and it may take a while to get used to the Fat Bob but I have to admit it is growing on me.

Personally I would consider the new Heritage Special but I am 2 years into my LRS and am having too much fun with it and plan on doing some touring on it next year to see how that feels before I consider a move.

For the vast majority motorcycles are a luxury item. We usually buy luxury items based upon emotion and other intangibles. So with that I understand I could not change your mind and likely you'll not change another's but your disdain for change is persistent and a downer.

H-D does their research and every time a new line or engine comes out or even some basic change the hate and doomsday predictions come out. Everything seemed okay before the new Softails came out and my guess is things will be just fine afterwards.

There is a global softening of the motorcycle market. Sales numbers are down and will continue to drop for a variety of reasons.

H-D must bring in new customers or you will lose the opportunity to have anything new with H-D on the tank.

H-D has pissed me off plenty but in the end I understand that this is a business and they have to survive.

Chonk

Agreed. Harley Davidson always walks a find line between pleasing their old faithful who have a difficult time with change and producing bikes that compete with the current market. In order to compete they had to push the limit more this year but I still think they did a good job walking that line with these new 2018 models.

Quick Reply: '18 Fat Bob vs. Low Rider S