Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rebuild borescope has me shook

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New rebuild borescope has me shook

Old 09-15-2017, 02:35 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

So this is a hillside 98" build 99 fxdx I've got about 300 miles on the build. Bike seems to be running good I've rode it right haven't broke 4000 rpm heat cycled it on initial start took out the plugs to see the color today and they were a light color not real white or real tan just a light beige. Doesn't blow any smoke. But I decided while plugs are out throw borescope in cylinders. To my surprise there's quite a bit of carbon already with each cylinder having a small clean circle with no carbon but that's not the most worrying part. I'm highly concerned with the black streaks on the sides of cylinders both these things exist in both cylinders. I've done everything by the book as far as assembly and break in used assembly lube pistons are facing correct way ect. Is this as big of a problem as it looks? Or am I freaking out before the engine is even broke in? I ran it on the high way last night for the first night didn't exceed 4000 ran thru the gears correctly this is my first build

The following users liked this post:
TheCanuck (11-17-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I think you're worrying over nothing. Hard to see from the pics but it doesn't appear to actually be scored cylinder walls, if that were the case I would say worry. As far as the carbon goes, you're gonna get it from anything that burns whether it's a bbq or a motor, but if you're getting excessive carbon, you may want to look at your time. Rich fuel mixture will cause excessive carbon but I'd still say to continue your break in, enjoy the build, and pat yourself on the back for being a "good boy" and breaking it in correctly, rather than just nailing it as others do.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,729 Likes on 3,100 Posts

That scoring, this early on, isn't good. What oil are you using to break-in? Change it out after the first 10 hours. Kinda working your engine hard with 4,000 rpm, right away. Not something recommended for engine longevity.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:07 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Freaked out the same way on my first rodeo... give it time

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-break-in.html

considering hillside lives in the engine technical forum. Ask them. They may make you feel better.

Last edited by cvaria; 09-15-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:07 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

True yeah yanno I just spent so much time on this thing I mean it was a pile when I bought it rebuilt trans engine performance machine brakes all around wheels suspension paint everything. The carbon has actually been there since the first week when I was playing around with jets and one of my pushrods need another couple flats because of the decked heads. So I think maybe the clean circle is ignition burning it off now that it's actually getting ridden. Once I had completed the engine and got it running right I went on a 20 mile ride and started having trans issues pulled that apart and had needle bearings in pieces 5 gear was gone mainshaft was wobbly. I can't believe it was actually was limping home. So after it's initial 20 miles it sat for a couple weeks while waiting on trans parts those black lines weren't there but the carbon was. Most of the 300 miles has been done in the last 2 weeks. I care about this thing more than any other bike or vehicle I've had in my life including my 17 dresser because I literally have blood in the crankcase lol

Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
That scoring, this early on, isn't good. What oil are you using to break-in? Change it out after the first 10 hours. Kinda working your engine hard with 4,000 rpm, right away. Not something recommended for engine longevity.
no I mean I never have exceeded 4000 that's only occasionally and shifted immediately it spends most its time between at various rpms between 25 and 35. Trying to not stay at one very often.

The following users liked this post:
Vonswanko (09-17-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
also using amsoil

Old 09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvaria
Freaked out the same way on my first rodeo... give it time

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...-break-in.html

considering hillside lives in the engine technical forum. Ask them. They may make you feel better.
yeah k emailed Scott with pictures. I've seen a few quotes from him in forums saying borescopes should stay in the case as they make mountains out of mole hills. But if it's something to be concerned with I'm sure he'll let me know.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:13 PM
2017flhxs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
I think you're worrying over nothing. Hard to see from the pics but it doesn't appear to actually be scored cylinder walls, if that were the case I would say worry. As far as the carbon goes, you're gonna get it from anything that burns whether it's a bbq or a motor, but if you're getting excessive carbon, you may want to look at your time. Rich fuel mixture will cause excessive carbon but I'd still say to continue your break in, enjoy the build, and pat yourself on the back for being a "good boy" and breaking it in correctly, rather than just nailing it as others do.
its definetly not rich. May have been the first 10-15 miles but played jets and now after a couple hundred miles the plugs almost look new with a light beige white tint to them. Exhaust is clear almost like hybrid

Quick Reply: New rebuild borescope has me shook