Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Temp for a FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM
NefariouSaul
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Temp for a FXDL

A little help regarding engine temp...

Just bought a brand new 2017 FXDL (103) and started noticing that the engine is running hot in comparison to my old 2005 Sporty. I know they're completely diff bikes, but wan't to know if they run hot or if it's a cause for concern. I'm still breaking in the bike (at 200 miles), but it didn't really feel this hot until now (about 40 miles ago). The bike is completely stock. I did call the dealership that I bought it from and the sales guy mentioned that it's because it's stock and would run cooler once I got a more free flowing exhaust on it. But will this solve that issue? The heat isn't unbearable, but it does feel pretty warm on both legs while I'm riding. I start to feel the heat within minutes after turning on the bike. Something I never felt with the Sporty. Outside temp was about 70 degrees riding into work this morning, so I don't think that should be a major factor.

If breaking her in has anything to do with it:

I've mostly kept it under 3500 RPM, I have opened it up to about 90mph a couple of times (kind've hard not to), but mostly kept it at 70ish while on the freeway. No longer distances than about 15 miles on an the freeway per ride, yet. Mostley been shifting through the gears riding on city streets.

What temp is normal for my bike? Is there something I can do to trouble shoot this without taking it into a shop? Or am I just completely tripping, and its running as it should?

Thanks in advance