Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017 | 06:05 AM
leafman60
|
Road Captain
Default New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways

Today I checked out the new 114 series of Softails that have replaced the now-discontinued Dyna series. I had an extended ride on the new 114 Fat Bob and my reaction was – WOW.

The new engine, frame and suspension is better than anything they’ve made in the past. The stock 114 puts out an amazing amount of torque. Out of the hole, the bike will best my 1200GS.

Rear suspension travel is 4.4 inches and front fork travel is 5.1 inches for some models. This is better than the stock Dyna numbers. Railroad track crossings or potholes are simply glided across without any abrupt feedback.

Gone is the rubber-mounted drive train. The frame is very rigid and fixed when pushed hard on curves.

The suspension has more rear travel than any of the stock Dynas as well as the stock Touring models! H-D is using a triangulated rear swing section with an adjustable shock under the seat. This set-up very much resembles that of the Guzzi Daytona and V11 Sport series. It all works well.

In some ways, labeling these bikes “Softails” is a shame since they have very little in common with the previous Softail models. That badge conjures up the hard suspension and limitations of the old Softail that is long gone now.

Would I buy one? Not yet. They are a little too “cruiserish” for me right now. I don’t like the forward pegs of pretty much all of them and I don’t like the cornering manners of the fat front tires as fitted to the bike I rode today.

The bikes have potential and the 114 engine is fantastic.

Last edited by leafman60; 09-05-2017 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wingman1800 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 06:11 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain

Anyone here that dident expect it to be better?

Old 09-05-2017 | 06:53 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior

Better? Newer, yes, but not better for me.
I don't have a cushy seat, radio or fairing.
When I come to RR crossings I preload and hop them.
My custom FXDX is way better.

Old 09-05-2017 | 07:27 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nikolaiownz
Anyone here that dident expect it to be better?
Expectation is a belief that something will happen. From what I've read there are plenty of folks who are expecting the 2018 "Softails" to be better but hoping they are not. This BS about Dynas being worth more is just that; BS. My 2013 FXDC (as pristine as it is) wasn't worth much a month ago. It's worth less now.
People have to understand this new design has been on the boards for years. This is the biggest change in HD's history. They bet the ranch on it. While we all may disagree with some of their decisions* and have this image of a bunch of dummies running company nothing could be further from the truth. My money is on the company.

*Stupid decision was to go from dual to single disc brakes on new Low Rider. Duh

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 09-05-2017 at 07:37 AM.
lh4x4 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 07:33 AM
cvaria
Supporter

they are better.

and they are softails... not dynas, not mistakenly named..... they are, by definition, softails

Old 09-05-2017 | 07:38 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cvaria
they are better.

and they are softails... not dynas, not mistakenly named..... they are, by definition, softails
So your saying that the softail is by defenition better than the dyna now in any way

Old 09-05-2017 | 07:41 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Expectation is a belief that something will happen. From what I've read there are plenty of folks who are expecting the 2018 "Softails" to be better but hoping they are not. This BS about Dynas being worth more is just that; BS. My 2013 FXDC (as pristine as it is) wasn't worth much a month ago. It's worth less now.
People have to understand this new design has been on the boards for years. This is the biggest change in HD's history. They bet the ranch on it. While we all may disagree with some of their decisions* and have this image of a bunch of dummies running company nothing could be further from the truth. My money is on the company.

*Stupid decision was to go from dual to single disc brakes on new Low Rider. Duh
I agree about the dual disc setup..

And i agree about the dynas being worth more now lol..

There is so many dynas out there so there will be no lack of dynas the next 20 years..

The FXDLS and the FXDX maybe holding there money better but no way dynas are gonna be worth more.. sorry

Every other harley you see around my city is a dyna... and fairly sure most of them will upgrade to the new motor so there will be alot of them for sale..

Old 09-05-2017 | 07:48 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
they are better.

Youre supposed to say they go to softail forum

The following 2 users liked this post by OddJack:
cvaria (09-05-2017), Jay Guild (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 07:54 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by OddJack
Youre supposed to say they go to softail forum
technicality, lol

New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways

Old 09-05-2017 | 08:39 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer

I looked at the new fat bob and fat boy yesterday. They are even uglier in person. No thanks.

nick@nite (09-05-2017)

Quick Reply: New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways