Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017 | 07:48 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Where's all the plastic? The ones I have seen in the flesh have very, very little plastic. Even the side covers, which I thought were plastic are made of metal and finished nicely.

And they'll ride more than a tad better. The new frame and suspension is a big deal. Add a 114 motor and they are game changing for Harleys.

May not float your boat, but they are well made, high quality and well specified bikes.

I have a 114" Fat Bob on order and the only plastic piece I can see that needs changing is the external rear shock preload adjuster. That will need replaced with a billet part for my piece of mind. In fact, less plastic than on my 2014 Dyna Fat Bob as that had a plastic cover over the ABS module that I never liked. On this one, the ABS is hidden behind the metal right hand side cover.
Bravo Sir. Your honesty is appreciated. Good luck with your new ride. A thorough assessment would be appreciated after you've broken her in.

Old 09-06-2017 | 08:56 PM
Rollcage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by adm
Where's all the plastic? The ones I have seen in the flesh have very, very little plastic. Even the side covers, which I thought were plastic are made of metal and finished nicely.

And they'll ride more than a tad better. The new frame and suspension is a big deal. Add a 114 motor and they are game changing for Harleys.

May not float your boat, but they are well made, high quality and well specified bikes.

I have a 114" Fat Bob on order and the only plastic piece I can see that needs changing is the external rear shock preload adjuster. That will need replaced with a billet part for my piece of mind. In fact, less plastic than on my 2014 Dyna Fat Bob as that had a plastic cover over the ABS module that I never liked. On this one, the ABS is hidden behind the metal right hand side cover.
I have a 14 FB, there are many things I like better about the 18. Performance, stronger frame, power, all yes. The two deal breakers for me were the 3.6 gallon tank,that's a Sportster tank. I have 5 gal now and almost wish I had 6. Also the "look", it lost the Harley look.

In the end I wanted to like it and trade mine in.
In the end I'll just do a Hillside or S&S upgrade when the time comes and keep my 14.

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:11 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Rollcage
I have a 14 FB, there are many things I like better about the 18. Performance, stronger frame, power, all yes. The two deal breakers for me were the 3.6 gallon tank,that's a Sportster tank. I have 5 gal now and almost wish I had 6. Also the "look", it lost the Harley look.

In the end I wanted to like it and trade mine in.
In the end I'll just do a Hillside or S&S upgrade when the time comes and keep my 14.
why are we beefing about the tank. Add the heritage tank. 5 gals. Sport tanks are 2.2, 3.2, and 4.5. No 3.8. As for lost look. It looks like an overfeed xl roadster

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:26 PM
Rollcage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cvaria
why are we beefing about the tank. Add the heritage tank. 5 gals. Sport tanks are 2.2, 3.2, and 4.5. No 3.8. As for lost look. It looks like an overfeed xl roadster
Can you get the heritage tank to fit on the FB?
I haven't read enough about fitment with the drag bars and any other variables.

I just am leery of a 114 ci motor with 3.6 gal.
​​​​​I know my 103 with 5 is good for about 170 miles,
so let's call it 35 mpg around town.

That 114 gets what 120-140 a tank?

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:30 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Less than a year from now I predict a glut of alternative tank, exhaust, handlebar, and headlight options from the aftermarket.

Things like that being deal breakers (as fitted, stock) is foolish and really just cud for the haters to chew on.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017 | 09:46 PM
Rollcage
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cggorman
Less than a year from now I predict a glut of alternative tank, exhaust, handlebar, and headlight options from the aftermarket.

Things like that being deal breakers (as fitted, stock) is foolish and really just cud for the haters to chew on.
I don't think anyone hates it, the FB is the Golden child of the new line up. I was simply adding the reason I personally wouldn't trade in at this point.
Mileage being my primary concern.
There are those who would fill up daily if used as a commuter.
Time will tell for sure, if a year from now the aftermarket industry comes up with a few refinements, that's excellent for not only them, but the HD brand itself.
That will mean there is consumer desire, and HD did in fact make the right decision in which direction to head.
The next few years sales will be critical to the brand.

Old 09-06-2017 | 10:07 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

My response wasn't directed specifically at you, Rollcage. I've just seen dozens of irrational (IMO) opinions about how the new bikes suck in mostly superficial ways. I just have to roll my eyes because most of the people here have thousands of dollars worth of largely cosmetic modifications. Myself included. I bet half of us who bought new had new parts fitted before delivery, for cripes sake.

I can't see myself ever getting a 2018, but it's certainly not because the seat or headlight or tins don't suit me.

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:27 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by cggorman

I can't see myself ever getting a 2018, but it's certainly not because the seat or headlight or tins don't suit me.
I agree. Although admittedly I wouldn't be considering a new bike no matter what they came up with cause I'm emotionally as well as financially committed to my current bike.

The thing about the '18s I specifically don't like is that they're all counterbalanced. That's probably pretty hard to change.

Old 09-07-2017 | 12:26 AM
Surly
Cruiser

The frame and motor are probably better but the tank is too small on most models, for some strange reason the rear rims on some models have dropped from 17" to 16" and with narrower tires and one of the discs has fallen off the Low Rider.

The Fat Bob 114 looks alright other than it needs and exhaust upgrade and some decent wheels.

Cheers,
Surly

Last edited by Surly; 09-07-2017 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2017 | 12:31 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I agree. Although admittedly I wouldn't be considering a new bike no matter what they came up with cause I'm emotionally as well as financially committed to my current bike.

The thing about the '18s I specifically don't like is that they're all counterbalanced. That's probably pretty hard to change.
That's my hangup, too. I don't want a counterbalanced, liquid cooled Big Twin. There are plenty of superior options for smooth, cool-running, powerful engines. The MOTOR COMPANY dropped the ball bigtime with their specific output on the M8. Hopefully future versions come close to the 100hp/L mark that it should be at.

Quick Reply: New Softails are Better than Dyna in Many Ways