Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake as a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,695 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Originally Posted by eichacsj
Do not listen to any of them unless you have money to burn. I had been off a bike for 35 years, I kept my license so i wouldn't have to retake the test and for the sole purpose of getting a Harley one day.

Everyone and I mean everyone fraught me on buying a Heritage, wife, kids, friends, salesman, everyone you can think of looked at me like I was nuts. They all thought go small and grow up, that is fine advice spending my money. I had no intention of buying several bikes, also I am 6'1" and 280, you know what I looked like on a Sportster, it looked utterly ridiculous.

I bought what I dreamed of, the Heritage. I did not test ride and I had them trailer it home. I started in the driveway, starting and stopping, expanded to around the neighborhood, then streets with lights, then just rode normal. It took about a week at nights after work. For the first month it just felt big I described it (heavy, powerful, looking at the tank), it just looked and felt huge. About a month later it felt small, I was full throttling it testing my comfort on speed, took it to a 100 a few times just saw what it could do, started to have the wife as passenger. The only thing that caught me off guard that almost crashed us was my first circle. The ones where you branch off on the road you want. I hit it too fast, dragged the foot rest, throwing sparks, but we made it, BTW we were only going about 20 MPH but it was a 10 mph circle.

Glad you got what you wanted, grow into it and enjoy it. Stop listening to others about what you bought.

Live to ride man.
Well written post, on exactly "why a rider should grow incrementally."
So much material here...