Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake as a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:30 PM
breakout518
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start riding with someone who has 10+ years of riding experience, if at all possible.

Also, dress for the fall, not the ride. This means full jacket with armor, long pants, boots, gloves, full-face helmet. But I'm sure you know that already.

The following users liked this post:
mastergunnera8 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

1. Front Brake primary when stopping; EXCEPT when traction is at risk (gravel, wet conditions, etc.)
2. Assume cagers are going to pull out on you..cause they will...
3. Intersections; slow down, even when green; do not go through yellows if you can help it; never pull out fast when a light turns green
4. Try to stay in the drivers mirror(s)
5. Don't get hidden behind cars or trucks; be aware of cars that want to cross the lane of travel (after the car in front of you has passed them), and cars that want to pull out from your right into the lane of travel. positioning is the key; use your whole lane to find out whats ahead..slow down and don't follow too closely.
6. Somebody tailgating you? increase your distance from the vehicle ahead of you, if they brake, your a sandwich..; if the idiot keeps it up or you feel in danger, turn off the road, let them pass...

Have Fun!!!

On your purchase?...Dont worry...By next year you will be looking for a bigger touring model!!!! Be safe and good luck!!! Congrats!!!

Last edited by mastergunnera8; 09-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:00 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do not listen to any of them unless you have money to burn. I had been off a bike for 35 years, I kept my license so i wouldn't have to retake the test and for the sole purpose of getting a Harley one day.

Everyone and I mean everyone fraught me on buying a Heritage, wife, kids, friends, salesman, everyone you can think of looked at me like I was nuts. They all thought go small and grow up, that is fine advice spending my money. I had no intention of buying several bikes, also I am 6'1" and 280, you know what I looked like on a Sportster, it looked utterly ridiculous.

I bought what I dreamed of, the Heritage. I did not test ride and I had them trailer it home. I started in the driveway, starting and stopping, expanded to around the neighborhood, then streets with lights, then just rode normal. It took about a week at nights after work. For the first month it just felt big I described it (heavy, powerful, looking at the tank), it just looked and felt huge. About a month later it felt small, I was full throttling it testing my comfort on speed, took it to a 100 a few times just saw what it could do, started to have the wife as passenger. The only thing that caught me off guard that almost crashed us was my first circle. The ones where you branch off on the road you want. I hit it too fast, dragged the foot rest, throwing sparks, but we made it, BTW we were only going about 20 MPH but it was a 10 mph circle.

Glad you got what you wanted, grow into it and enjoy it. Stop listening to others about what you bought.

Live to ride man.

mastergunnera8 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:32 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Lol powerful...hell no. These heavy low power cruisers keep adrenaline junkies like me honest. Too powerful is like hoping onto a litre sport bike as your first bike. That's asking to visit god too early

perki48 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2 years ago I posted the same thing. I'm 130lbs 5'6 and bought a 08 Low Rider 1 month after my course. Loved every minute of it. You will be fine! I still take my time and keep learning every time I take the bike out, whether it's how to judge a curve or tight turns in parking lots.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

You did fine. The Fat Bob is comfortable and maneuverable. A good choice for you. Ride on brother.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 AM
valhalla84
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just tell all the ******** telling you what to do to **** off. You are fine. I am 5'9" 165 and started on a dyna. Isn't anything worth getting worked up about. What else are you going to do, buy a smaller bike you don't want to sell later? Then spend even more money on something else? Bike isn't that heavy, rides well, you're not a small dude and stock Harley's are slow anyway. Just practice and treat everyone else on the road like they are trying to kill you (THEY ARE!!). Don't be timid, act bold and enjoy your bike. Unless you are one of the select few who has a scoot as their only means of transportation, rides more than drives it is a toy and treat it as one you enjoy. Don't let other ******** take away your enjoyment or excitement over owning a scoot.

nah aha man enjoy the bike, good call on a dyna. Soon you will be asking about a 110 kit and ****.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by valhalla84
Just tell all the ******** telling you what to do to **** off. You are fine. I am 5'9" 165 and started on a dyna. Isn't anything worth getting worked up about. What else are you going to do, buy a smaller bike you don't want to sell later? Then spend even more money on something else? Bike isn't that heavy, rides well, you're not a small dude and stock Harley's are slow anyway. Just practice and treat everyone else on the road like they are trying to kill you (THEY ARE!!). Don't be timid, act bold and enjoy your bike. Unless you are one of the select few who has a scoot as their only means of transportation, rides more than drives it is a toy and treat it as one you enjoy. Don't let other ******** take away your enjoyment or excitement over owning a scoot.

nah aha man enjoy the bike, good call on a dyna. Soon you will be asking about a 110 kit and ****.

Easy with the name calling ...
Other gave their opinions just like you gave yours, no need to call name.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Haskins
I just completed the Harley MSF and I bought a 2009 Dyna Fat Bob. I pick it up on Tuesday but I have since been bombarded by comments of friends and online people saying it was a mistake to buy a powerful bike. I'm 6 2 300 and it flt good. I have no aspirations of hot ******* and plan on parking lot practice and small neighborhoods for awhile until I get a good feel for the bike. Did I mess up? Should I sell and get something else? I love the bike as far as the look but I want to learn to be a good rider so that its enjoyable as well. Feedback is appreciated.

stay local if you if you ride with friends to feel pressured to try and keep up with them. Learn your controls where your clutch engages how much throttle you need to not lug the motor but not to take off so quick. Practice u turns learn where your brakes lock up and buy a service manual

Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 PM
delta99
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a Sportster because I thought it would be a good beginner bike, smaller, lighter, etc. Not a month went by before I wished I had a Dyna, now I'm stuck with a bike that is too small for me, and one that I don't really like. There is a learning curve on any new-to-you bike. Just get the bike that you want, and learn to ride it. If the Fat Bob is the bike that you really want, then you didn't make a mistake.

perki48 (09-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake as a new rider?