Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake as a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Tim Haskins
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Bob

I plan on hitting the parking lot for a few hours and practicing some of the stuff from the MSF and then neighborhood riding. I will take it easy for sure and learn. I'm excited about the possibility of being a really good rider and I don't mind putting in the time but the friends that told me to buy this bike seemed to think I would be fine taking it slow but the more I read from pro instructors I wonder if they are correct. My MSF riding instructors said to get the bike I want and take it very slow. I am a big strong guy so I guess that's better than if I had this bike as a 100 lb chick.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Tim Haskins
Stage IV

Do you think the parking lot practice is the best place to start learning the bike? I am lucky the msf course lot has some faded practice lines and I have some motorcycle cones I can put down to practice. I will go through the process with the bike much like msf and learn the bike and just take my time. How long should I do that before I am ready for the neighborhoods? What drills do you guys recommend?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Haskins
I plan on hitting the parking lot for a few hours and practicing some of the stuff from the MSF and then neighborhood riding. I will take it easy for sure and learn. I'm excited about the possibility of being a really good rider and I don't mind putting in the time but the friends that told me to buy this bike seemed to think I would be fine taking it slow but the more I read from pro instructors I wonder if they are correct. My MSF riding instructors said to get the bike I want and take it very slow. I am a big strong guy so I guess that's better than if I had this bike as a 100 lb chick.
I've seen 100 lb chicks on bikes like yours who ride them like they stole 'em. It's not about weight until you mess up and let gravity take over...and there are many men who can't stop it once it gets to that point of no return. Bike drop!

Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 169 Posts

The bike only does what you make it do,so with that practice. If your friends ride go out with them and if they aren't patient with you as a new rider find new friends.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,689 Likes on 3,150 Posts

If you're not ****in up you ain't tryin - join the club

I am a big strong guy so I guess that's better than if I had this bike as a 100 lb chick.
You not bigger..., nor badder than a cage..., or face plant @ 80 + mph

So - better get squared away ricky-tick

What drills do you guys recommend?
Slow maneuvering..., stopping at a given point..., starting / braking / turning - uphill / downhill / flat..., stopping / starting..., turning slow and at speed..., backing up..., iow - everything / all of it / over & over

=============

At some point you'll get comfortable.., even confident - then is when you're most susceptible to shtf

It comes from all directions - cages..., kamikaze birds / bugs..., weather..., debris..., road..., wind.., mechanical malfunctions..., inattentiveness.., fatigue

Assume you have a target on your back every ride - you'll do fine

Forget you do - you're ****ed

Welcome..., enjoy - and practice till you're blue in the face

Don't forget to maintain / check your scoot before / after every ride

Ghost

The following users liked this post:
Tim Haskins (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking with first hand knowledge, I am 5' 11" 270 and my FB has forward controls. I find that I am too big for the bike. It would be great if the seat were another 2 inches back. At 6' 2" I am willing to bet that after a short time, you will agree that you are too big for the bike, even with forward controls. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 PM
sacdaddio
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I just completed the Harley MSF and I bought a 2009 Dyna Fat Bob. I pick it up on Tuesday but I have since been bombarded by comments of friends and online people saying it was a mistake to buy a powerful bike. I'm 6 2 300 and it flt good. I have no aspirations of hot ******* and plan on parking lot practice and small neighborhoods for awhile until I get a good feel for the bike. Did I mess up? Should I sell and get something else? I love the bike as far as the look but I want to learn to be a good rider so that its enjoyable as well. Feedback is appreciated.
Perhaps some of your friends who say you made a mistake are hoping to buy your bike cheap! You sound like you have a plan. If you were to have bought a small, cheap bike, and rode around til you got comfortable might have taken 3 months? Then you would trade, get an HD, and spend time getting used to that. Take your time and get used to this bike, and within a few months (or less), you'll feel fine.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 159 Posts

I just completed the Harley MSF and I bought a 2009 Dyna Fat Bob. I pick it up on Tuesday but I have since been bombarded by comments of friends and online people saying it was a mistake to buy a powerful bike. I'm 6 2 300 and it flt good. I have no aspirations of hot ******* and plan on parking lot practice and small neighborhoods for awhile until I get a good feel for the bike. Did I mess up? Should I sell and get something else? I love the bike as far as the look but I want to learn to be a good rider so that its enjoyable as well. Feedback is appreciated.
You did an MSF course. You're way ahead of most riders. Always keep looking, always keep learning.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Tim Haskins
Stage IV

No disrespect to the small ladies out there killing it. I just mean the bike feels great and hopefully as I learn a little extra strength can keep it up on the practice range doing slow drills and such. Much respect for all riders but I must say after MSF I am hooked.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:45 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

It's ideal to start out with a beater bike for the first year or so but you already did it.

Many people just buy the bike. Some even without MSF!

The fun **** on the right grip is continuously variable and you don't need to go pedal to the metal at all times.

My priority to practice is emergency stops at varying speeds, then slow speed maneuvers, then street practice. You'll be good to go in no time.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake as a new rider?