Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 06:49 PM
Langen
Novice

i see some similarities

The following users liked this post:
Redbeard (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 10:04 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer

This whole 2018 new model announcement isn't as bad as it seems to many people.

Think of it this way......................

We've been fortunate , for a very long time , having such a large selection of models to choose from. The Motor company needs to be efficient , to make changes , in order to survive.
I've been riding for 45 years , much of that on various Harley product.

Way back , they made only a hand full of bikes in small quantities.

In the 60's , if you wanted a sportster , you could have an electric start or a kick start model or if you raced there was a limited number of XLR's . The only other choices were a touring model FLH or there were some 125 , 250 & 350 Aeromachi light weights.

There were servi cars too

No Super glides , Softails or stripped down big twins at all , just touring bikes.

I'm cool with the 2018's , things change ,company's evolve. I think going back to a less complicated product line makes sense .

I've bought many new harley's , built lots too , my next one , I'll build . My 2016 FXDLS is my main ride right now and I'm diggin it .

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:06 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Old 08-24-2017 | 06:18 AM
moose545
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gearhead88

We've been fortunate , for a very long time , having such a large selection of models to choose from. The Motor company needs to be efficient , to make changes , in order to survive.

In the 60's , if you wanted a sportster , you could have an electric start or a kick start model or if you raced there was a limited number of XLR's . The only other choices were a touring model FLH or there were some 125 , 250 & 350 Aeromachi light weights.

No Super glides , Softails or stripped down big twins at all , just touring bikes.

I'm cool with the 2018's , things change ,company's evolve. I think going back to a less complicated product line makes sense .

I've bought many new harley's , built lots too , my next one , I'll build . My 2016 FXDLS is my main ride right now and I'm diggin it .

Agreed, great way to look at it. If it's a matter of survival in a market that's not the best currently, then so be it I reckon; we've all got at least one bike here already I'm guessing, so no worries.

Old 08-24-2017 | 06:24 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member

I will second this.. people judging and they haven't ridden any of the bikes yet..

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:05 AM
Cobr0
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
I will second this.. people judging and they haven't ridden any of the bikes yet..
People keep saying this

Why haven't you been riding a Metric for the last 30 years?

Metrics have basically been lighter, faster, better handling, better braking and more reliable for the last.... 40 years. People continued to by HDs however. Now all of a sudden the HD looks like a Knock-off and we're being told "yeah, but performance is more important then looks, feel and sound!"

If this was true the Sportster line should have died instantly when the Indian Scout came out.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cobr0:
Cowboy Rob (08-24-2017), Redbeard (08-24-2017), TinCupChalice (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 10:32 AM
vdop
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
Originally Posted by Cobr0
People keep saying this
I know, pretty sick of hearing that we need to ride it. Riding it will not make it a dyna. Bottom line is it's not a dyna. Harley made some much needed changes to the softail line and I'm sure it will be a much better performing softail. I will go ride one soon, just because I can. I'm sure it will ride good for a softail. Also sick of hearing that it's lighter and faster. It's lighter and faster than the previous softail. It is not lighter than a dyna. If it's slightly quicker than a bone stock dyna am I supposed to be impressed?? Stock sucks no matter what it is. It'll still need $10k + in performance, suspension, braking mods and weight reduction to be impressive imo. My dyna is 80 lbs lighter (running weight) and I have an extra gallon of fuel and I'm not done taking weight off it.

Sorry to bring up facts, I know people don't like honesty around here. You may now return to swinging on the softail nuts. But please do it over in the softail section.

The following 2 users liked this post by vdop:
TinCupChalice (08-24-2017), TxFxL (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 10:40 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Cobr0
People keep saying this

Why haven't you been riding a Metric for the last 30 years?

Metrics have basically been lighter, faster, better handling, better braking and more reliable for the last.... 40 years. People continued to by HDs however. Now all of a sudden the HD looks like a Knock-off and we're being told "yeah, but performance is more important then looks, feel and sound!"

If this was true the Sportster line should have died instantly when the Indian Scout came out.

you say that but, the scout is a better bike. people are just fn stupid. there's no reason anyone should be buying the POS iron but, they keep doing it... i have no idea why. they usually say something stupid like, "i like the looks", then, a month later, turn around and say "it feels under powered, i want more power". wtf?! we watch this happen over and over in the sportster forums. people paying 2000+ to get to (janky) 100hp on a sporty.... the scout and the defunct octane are 100hp, STOCK....STOCK!!!!! before stage 1 or mods. the octane is horrifying! nothing but power! sounds great too

indian has a huge following and aftermarket support... hd is in danger for real. if indian stops making those fkd up looking mid-range bikes... they will put a nail in hd's coffin. hd just spit in our faces and it's not going to stop.... the old folks are dying off and the yonger folks have too many options.

i go out and ride bikes before i judge them. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post15671453
i don't talk a bunch of shxt about bikes i havent ridden. i'm going to jacksonville tomorrow to ride the 2018 fat bob at adamec bay meadows hd. they DO look like metrics. there's no debating that. the proof is in the pudding so butts on seats are needed.

hd IS NOT superior. they just hold a larger share of the market. the radical change you just witnessed is hd stepping up, finally. folks are moving to other brands and styles of riding. there are more options than ever now... and hd is still lagging.

they are at the gates bro, it's not a joke.

Last edited by cvaria; 08-24-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2017 | 10:53 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by vdop
Stock sucks no matter what it is. It'll still need $10k + in performance, suspension, braking mods and weight reduction to be impressive imo. My dyna is 80 lbs lighter (running weight) and I have an extra gallon of fuel and I'm not done taking weight off it.
I'm in the same camp. My Dyna is under 590 pounds wet and has at least 35 degrees lean angle. Maybe 40+. Haven't tried to measure it since the latest changes. It suffers in power due to the 88, but I'll gladly keep the lower mass, higher revving, short stroke Twink and the more efficient 5 speed. I like the new frame and many of the new styling and tech changes, but I'm not looking to add a Serengeti Softail to the stable any time soon. The aftermarket needs several years to ramp up befpre I'd even consider one.

The following users liked this post:
Nemosengineer (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017 | 10:57 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior

"We are fortunate".... That's one way to look at it for sure.'

60 years ago also there were no cell phones, and the police had more horses than motorcycles.

After all this fortune, would you buy a 2018 softail, and why?

Last edited by OddJack; 08-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(