Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:23 AM
O-Town D
Road Master

Wow, I sure know how to pick 'em: my '90 FXRS-SP obsolete, which I replaced with a '010 Dyna Fat Bob, now obsolete.
Getting the feeling that it won't be long before I'm obsolete.... or maybe I already am!

~

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:29 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

From a manufacturer standpoint, consolidating the Softail and Dyna lines makes more sense than the rumored Touring and Dyna shared platform.

How many threads are started by new members asking what's better, Dyna or Softail. They all seem to lead to the general consensus of opinions that the Dyna handles better, but the Softail is better looking. If in fact this new model handles as well as the current Dyna, then most new buyers will be happy. But certainly not all.

The lack of a non-counterbalanced motor kills the whole thing for me though.

Styling wise, I think it seems like a logical evolution on most of the models. The Low Rider looks all wrong though.

I wonder if whenever the new touring frame comes out, if they'll release a version with exposed shocks that can be run without bags...

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:53 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Reindeer
From a manufacturer standpoint, consolidating the Softail and Dyna lines makes more sense than the rumored Touring and Dyna shared platform.

How many threads are started by new members asking what's better, Dyna or Softail. They all seem to lead to the general consensus of opinions that the Dyna handles better, but the Softail is better looking. If in fact this new model handles as well as the current Dyna, then most new buyers will be happy. But certainly not all.

The lack of a non-counterbalanced motor kills the whole thing for me though.

Styling wise, I think it seems like a logical evolution on most of the models. The Low Rider looks all wrong though.

I wonder if whenever the new touring frame comes out, if they'll release a version with exposed shocks that can be run without bags...
Your comment on the non-counterbalanced motor is legit. Having come from a Street Bob to the Slim S, there were only two things I truly miss.
Ground clearance and the feel of the A motor.

I get the initial shock (no pun intended), but the new models are not really Softail either. Not in the traditional sense. The monoshock Softail will seriously out perform the previous Softail in suspension performance. I suspect it will outperform the twin shock system of the Dyna once Ohlins and others get ahold of it.

One blurb about the new Heritage Softail talks about an increased ride height option. I think HD needs to play that up a little for the Dyna faithful.

Either way, the ground clearance is improved from previous Softail models. They can't overcome the lack of A motor feel.

By the way, several comments about a possible future Dyna styled bike. It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Dyna has always been cheaper to produce due to its chassis. The new modular frame is now the less expensive method. A new Dyna styled frame would end up costing MORE because of less production compared to the modular models.

BUT!!! The aftermarket could easily develop a twin shock swingarm and strut mount system that could eliminate the monoshock and create a whole new rigid framed Dyna.

Old 08-23-2017 | 10:55 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member

Are there any rumors of the Dyna coming back? Since HD has a history of dropping models/lines for a year while they're revamping, part of me expects the Dyna to be a mid-year release or maybe wait til 2019. But now that they've moved the Fat Bob, Street Bob, and Low Rider model names over to the Softail line, would they really move them back after only one year? What's left for the Dynas besides the Wide Glide and Super Glide?

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:05 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Good point Redbeard. A WG Softail would never make sense though.....it may be gone forever considering that a ST version would just be a Night Train or ST standard (no disrespect to WG owners.)

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:05 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Redbeard
Are there any rumors of the Dyna coming back? Since HD has a history of dropping models/lines for a year while they're revamping, part of me expects the Dyna to be a mid-year release or maybe wait til 2019. But now that they've moved the Fat Bob, Street Bob, and Low Rider model names over to the Softail line, would they really move them back after only one year? What's left for the Dynas besides the Wide Glide and Super Glide?
really just the wide glide they discontinued the super glide a couple years ago didn't they?

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:08 AM
Bamaglider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
Good point Redbeard. A WG Softail would never make sense though.....it may be gone forever considering that a ST version would just be a Night Train or ST standard (no disrespect to WG owners.)
I love my WG glad they didn't ruin it with a softtail frame part of the wide glide was the skinny tire and wide forks with more rake they wasn't gonna take out a soft tail frame just for one model

Old 08-23-2017 | 11:12 AM
e11charlie
Cruiser

I have always hated the looks of the shockless rear end. Doesn't look right to me at all. As someone said before the street bob looks like the results of an 8 ball, 3 days off, access to paint thinner and unsupervised sex with what looks like a Honda rebel. About the only plus going to the monoshock is easier fitment of saddle bags.

Last edited by e11charlie; 08-23-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 12:36 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I think the thing many of us (maybe not all) might be missing is that HD just removed its non-hidden dual shock rear end from the line up (no disrespect to the Sportster family). Since Harley introduce the full suspension bike it has had the dual shocks in the back. The addition of the Softail, IMO, was introduced for the "cool" factor of having a "traditional rigid" looking bike with full suspension, taking the look back to the original style. is that "traditional" style something HD hopes to achieve here? I have nothing against the technology HD has put into the new line up, just amazed that they put aside one of the major "looks" of the Harley. Also, I feel they just walked away from all those wheelie riding, trick performing Dyna and FXR riding fans out there, what are they going to use now, a 750 Street?

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:42 PM
will227457
Road Master

If you want to tour you have to buy a bagger now. I haven't looked at all the specs on the new softails but for the "street bob" 3.5 gallons does not a touring bike make.

SO sportsters- Entry level
Softails- Posers and guys that want to look cool or only take day trips.
Baggers- touring bikes

Quick Reply: Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(