Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017 | 10:32 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

RIP

Old 08-22-2017 | 11:18 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master

I'm so glad I have my 2015 dyna now. I can't even imagine how I would replace the stock Harley suspension with that dial. It's gonna be hard for the aftermarket guys to get in there.

Seems like Harley has made it more difficult for the aftermarket industry. Just like the electric handle bar risers, now it's not as simple to buy risers with the wiring.

Old 08-22-2017 | 11:23 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by frontiercat
91% stiffer frame...
That has been a big complaint and need for upgrade for the Dyna chassis.

I'll just wait and see.
I'm wondering how that number would compare to a Dyna with three heim-jointed stabilizers. I've no doubt the new swingarm offers an enormous improvement to axial twist at the rear tire, but the rest? The neck and backbone don't appear to be significantly stronger.

Old 08-22-2017 | 11:33 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Sad to see the Dyna go. It was what brought me to HD in the first place.

Old 08-22-2017 | 11:56 PM
Sstrickstein
Advanced

Not just Dyna. VRod gone in 2017 as well. HD is after all first of all a business and must remain in the business of selling what sells now and in the future. Dyna and Softail chassis were both at the end of a design cycle. Looks like HD is staying true to the brand history while updating. In 2018 they trim from 6 chassis lines to 4. I buy at the end of design cycles as I like established proven designs not newest and best. Just got a great deal on a 2016 Fatboy Lo and a 2017 heritage softail for just that reason.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:16 AM
lookstwice
Novice

Ouch.

Not that I has any intention on getting a new one anytime soon since I just bought my first one a few months back. But I don't really like the way the new ones look. Maybe the Fat Bob a little, but I would have to swap the rims at the dealer.

Unless they improve the looks dramatically over the next 4-5 years and I have an itch to buy a new one instead of used, not sure it will be a Harley. But that is just way off in the future.

I wonder if the used market will see an upsurge in used prices.

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:44 AM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by frontiercat
91% stiffer frame...
That has been a big complaint and need for upgrade for the Dyna chassis.

I'll just wait and see.
They also say that 107% of statistics are made up...I'd like to know how they came to said conclusion...

Old 08-23-2017 | 12:57 AM
randyp
Cruiser

Let's face it, the Dyna frame was a lower quality replacement of the FXR frame. A cost-cutting measure.

If the marketing stuff is to be believed, this new frame is better.

The following users liked this post:
HD_fan (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017 | 01:06 AM
Pokey151
Road Master

Glad i got my 17 Wide Glide

Old 08-23-2017 | 01:47 AM
brasher
Tourer

this is my take on it, coming from an industrial design background I can see why they went this way, but I think they missed the boat on the potential.

If HD trap a young buyer, chances are they have him/her for a long time. Get them while they are young so to speak. I think they have tried this with the 500/750 but where to from there? they go to a sporty? Most will and quickly outgrow it (Like myself)

So there is a market gap here, you have a guy/girl who is financially independent looking for a new toy, something that will stir some emotion in them. Get the blood rushing. They want something fast, can handle the urban sprawl but also a long trip, reliable and most importantly something they can make their own. This is where the Dyna had it's niche.

The clubstyle thing hasn't really kicked off here in Australia, but I know in the USA it's huge. If HD developed a FXR-esqe type bike with a m8 engine it would sell so many bikes you could barely keep up demand.

The designer in me then wakes up, realises this world is run by bean counters and corporate bullshit. A man can still dream.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Dyna, no more in 2018 :-(