Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar, possible grip issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Smite
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Handlebar, possible grip issue?

I recently installed LA Chopper's 12" miter bars. Love the look and height of them feels about right. About an hour into the first ride I started getting a little pain in my right wrist. Then numbness in my thumb, pointer and middle finger. The bars are below my shoulders by about 2". I also installed Arlen Ness grips that are a little thicker in diameter than i was expecting.

I iced and stretched out my hand, soon after feeling was coming back last night. Hopped on the bike and rode to AAA for the title transfer just now and within minutes of being on the bike numbness was back. Last week I put about 400 miles in with no issue, which makes me think its the bars or the grips? I had 14" apes on my sportster a few years back with no issue and that has me wondering if its the lack of sweep in these bars? I ride motocross and aside from the occasional arm pump I've never experienced anything like this, with pain in the joint and numbness of finger tips.

Anyone have a similar experience or have a remedy?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Pokey151
Road Master
Received 1,219 Likes on 442 Posts

sounds like too much sweep, are your wrists rolled out? (Your index finger knuckle way far forward of your pinky knuckle)

Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Smite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pokey151
sounds like too much sweep, are your wrists rolled out? (Your index finger knuckle way far forward of your pinky knuckle)
Not that I've noticed but I'll sit on it tomorrow and see. They don't have much sweep but @ 28" wide they are pretty narrow, maybe that's causing a weird angel for me/exaggerating the sweep.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:38 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Avon Air Grips made a difference for me in comfort , but Pokey has a good point about Sweep as well ..

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar, possible grip issue?-avon-grip.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Smite (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Smite
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Avon Air Grips made a difference for me in comfort , but Pokey has a good point about Sweep as well ..
I'll give those a go if I decide to try another set of grips. Here's a picture, they do have a little sweep to them I guess. I'll check it out once i get off work.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Wrist angle... the major nerve for your hand is running up from your wrist, right at the base of your thumb. The oversized grips may also be putting pressure on your lower thumb pad

The following users liked this post:
Smite (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Smite
Advanced

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Wrist angle... the major nerve for your hand is running up from your wrist, right at the base of your thumb. The oversized grips may also be putting pressure on your lower thumb pad
Yep, that's exactly where the majority of my pain was coming from. Trying to massage my hand I'd get some shooting pain right in the pad under my thumb near my wrist that goes to my finger tips. I'll try some padded gloves, if that doesnt work swap the grips then if need be throw the old bars on and see what resolves it.

Thanks for the input everyone.